First time bender

Sterence

TDPRI Member
Hi all,

So I just started playing in a old school country band. Mainly been playing a Hallmark Deke Dickerson guitar (which is great BTW). But I have become B/G Bender curious to be able to cover some steel and pedal territory. I have never actual played one, but dang it looks fun. So my first step will be to get my hands on one to give it a try. So my questions are two fold:

1) I live in Alaska and don't think there is a Bender guitar in town. I will be traveling to Southern California for Christmas. Where can I find a Bender guitar in So Cal (specifically LA)to take for a spin? From internet sleuthing I leaning toward Parson style strap bender vs a hipshot style.

2)Assuming that I jive with it, what is the best path to acquire a Bender Tele? I have a partscaster that I would be willing to hack and friend/luthier that is willing to take a whack at it. Or is easier/cheaper/better just but a body with bender already in it? Or is there another path I should look into.

Thanks for you input......

Rick Towne

Tele-Afflicted
There are many bender players in southern California, but I'm the only lefty I know Your best bet is to see if one of the members here responds to your post.

Re sources, there are many these days, and the turnaround times are radically faster than in years past. If you're fortunate to find someone down here with both Parsons and Glaser styles, you can try both and make your choice. I have both and play the Glaser about 90% of the time, and that's outside the usual country genre.

Don Miller

Tele-Afflicted
Yup...I have one ...a parsons white style.......and I know of one other guy that has one (actually he has two Glasers)....were both in Anchorage....

Hit me up if you feel so inclined....

EDIT: I see you're in Juneau.....so the Saturday afternoon show and tell isn't practical....there might be someone down your way who will come out of the woodwork...

The hipshot is a good idea... you can do most everything with it, and if you do upgrade to a strap bender, the only real disadvantage is when you wiggle your hip instead of yanking on the neck to bend a note and there's no hip bender.....

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hi all,

So I just started playing in a old school country band. Mainly been playing a Hallmark Deke Dickerson guitar (which is great BTW). But I have become B/G Bender curious to be able to cover some steel and pedal territory. I have never actual played one, but dang it looks fun. So my first step will be to get my hands on one to give it a try. So my questions are two fold:

1) I live in Alaska and don't think there is a Bender guitar in town. I will be traveling to Southern California for Christmas. Where can I find a Bender guitar in So Cal (specifically LA)to take for a spin? From internet sleuthing I leaning toward Parson style strap bender vs a hipshot style.

2)Assuming that I jive with it, what is the best path to acquire a Bender Tele? I have a partscaster that I would be willing to hack and friend/luthier that is willing to take a whack at it. Or is easier/cheaper/better just but a body with bender already in it? Or is there another path I should look into.

Thanks for you input......
I've tried both the Parson's strap benders and Hipshot B and G benders and settled on the Parson's strap bender. It just seems more intuitive and goes with the flow of playing better. Fender has made a few with factory installed Parson's style B benders over the years and they're available secondhand. I would recommend the Fender one's for resale value and trouble free operation.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fender b bender telecaster

FndrBenderTele.jpg
FndrBenderTele2.jpg

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Not dissing Hipshot, I've had a couple of them. The strap system allows for NOT thinking about your picking hand ( palm levers) or a body movement , it allows for "on the spot in the moment" creativity" be it a B or G Pull or Release . Remember, the RELEASE is equally important as the PULL. Benders are TWO way streets. Pull UP or Release down. Its an art that's for sure !

I have both a Parsons Style ( Forrest Lee jr ) and a Glaser, my preference is the upper bout body pull system over the the neck plate pull system , but both are extremely efficient.

"don't leave home without one" LOL :)

Have fun!

Last edited:

Nishplayer

Tele-Meister
I would suggest checking out Forrest Lee Junior's bender system....Forrest knows his stuff....I bought my first b bender from San Jose California on Reverb....Fender Brad Paisley Road Worn Telecaster with Forrest Lee Jr. Custom B Bender....picked it up for about $1600USD....fell in love with playing the bender so much you could say "I'm on a bender"....ordered a custom built double bender (B&G) from Forrest that is just about finished....I love the Parsons style of bender (the pull on the strap button)....figure if good enough for Clarence good enough for me....

Hope you find a bender you like....