First Telecaster you ever saw...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kid Telecaster, Sep 1, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been a Takamine nut since I bought my first guitar in 1976. I didn't know or care one electric guitar from another until I was past 50. Then I saw a Takamine electric--I hadn't known they existed--at the local music store. I bought it, and a $20 horrible amp to get me started.

After that somebody on the tiny Takamine Forum told me about TDPRI, and George the luthier at the music store gave me a mahogany board he'd had for 30 years, along with the suggestion that I make a tele out of it, with a belly cut and reverse controls. I've still never owned a Fender guitar, but now I have a pretty nice group of "blueprint" teles, all with wide fat necks that are easier on my carpally-tunnelled hands.

All my "noticing" of famous Telecasters has come through this wonderful forum, to which I seem to have become addicted.

Here is Simple J. Malarkey, my first blueprint tele:

Delta Blues and Simple.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    bromdenlong, Telefan65 and Blue Bill like this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure I had seen Telecasters for some years without noticing, until I got a 1967 Fender catalog, the pocket size "Teen Fair Edition". I thought the Telecaster looked kind of crummy compared to the other, flashier guitars. I started noticing them on TV. But it wasn't until I saw one in the window at Moses Melody Shop that I WANTED one.

3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

I remember watching a concert video of the Rolling Stones Tour 1981 back in 1982...and I was in love with Keiths black Tele custom right away...the same year I started playing guitar...

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm wracking my brains trying to come up with my first memory of a Tele. It must've been on TV, Hee Haw or something. I do have a memory, not my first, but, even though I cannot remember where or when, the vision is clear. There was a band, the guitar player, sort of blonde I think, was playing on a Midnight Wine Red Tele. He was really killing it. I think I was close to his amp so I heard every note. Thtat guitar looked and sounded so good. I've looked at Teles differently since that day.

5. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Same for me - Hugh Cornwell or Wilko Johnson .

First time I ‘actually’ saw one for real was the guitarist in a band I joined in 1990. He had an early eighties arctic white - sounded great, with a lot of attack.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I can’t remember exactly, but it was either Don Rich (Buck Owens Show), or James Burton (Ozzie & Harriet).

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

That 'un right there, Saturday afternoons when I was a kid.

Produced right over yonder. :cool:

8barlouie likes this.
  8. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Same here, then James again on the TV show "Shindig". Then Jeff Beck with Esquire and Buck
    Owens with matching sparkle teles, bass and drums. From there it was Mike Bloomfield, Steve
    Cropper and Wrecking Crew magazine photos.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Sur I must have seen one before, but it didn't make any impression. Mom got one for dad for his 40th birthday, July of 1980 that would have been. A little vibrochamp too. I was 12, and not long before it was in my hands more than dads.

10. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

It was either this guy or Dylan, can't remember which

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Same here.

12. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

As I recall, the first time I saw one was when I went to buy it!

I had just started playing guitar and had a cheap acoustic and was looking for an electric. It was 1972 and I was 12 years old and didn't really know anything about guitars (or much else for that matter!)

I saw an ad in the paper for a garage sale where they had a guitar and amp for sale, so I went and bought them both ($75 for the guitar and $125 for the amp).

The guitar was a 1963 Tele, and the amp was around the same year piggy back Tremolux with a tilt back cabinet.

I sold the amp pretty soon after that, but kept the Tele, which has been my #1 since then.

It was just the guitar I played all the time - I only really grasped the mystique of the Tele much later (probably when I joined TDPRI in 2003).

Cheers,
    Doug

swany likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.