First Telecaster you ever saw...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kid Telecaster, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure it was this:

Greggorios and DonM like this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

James Burton playing with Ricky Nelson on the Ozzie & Harriet Show back in the 50's. Thought that was just how an electric guitar should sound, and still think that.

Greggorios, DonM and RodeoTex like this.
  3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday let along when I saw my first Tele! :lol: Could be James Burton though. I dunno. Age...

Greggorios and ReverendRevolver like this.
  4. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

First one I remember seeing was a yellow Lero tele copy in the window on a music store at the end of the street, I thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever seen, certainly made in impression on 14 year old me a long time ago.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

My first bug concert was Pat Benatar, REO, and Fleetwood Mac on the mid 90s. Fleetwood Mac was on stage, the colorful lights were everywhere, and my grade school self was trying to figure out what color the dang guitar was ("wood color")

That barely counts. I was 10 when I got my strat, and as new players do, I drooled over magazines and such "knowing " I'd be able to play better with a better guitar. But I hated teles. Those were for cheesy country that sucked. Sure, rock and blues people played them sometimes, but that was thier problem not mine. And I was obsessed with offset guitars. My granpas mustang was the most comfortable guitar I'd played ever early on. Kurt Cobain and tons of alt rock people played jaguars, jazzmasters, and mustangs, and surf rock sounded cool. It wasn't until like middle school that I'd even gave them a second glance, and high school, when I was more into punk that I liked them. Joe Strummer, East Bay Ray, both guys from the black crows, keef, every impressive country picker from bigone ages, all played teles. I bought mine for blues, liked the ash and the heft.
    Ironically, I dont much like strats now.

6. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

When I took piano lessons from a studio in my home town (started when I was 8, continued until I was 16), I remember walking past the wall of Fenders—Strats on one side, Teles on the other. Always thought the Teles looked nerdy compared to the Strats. And now I own 4.

7. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

The reason why I have an all black tele:

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Same here, although it was probably on HeeHaw.

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

A classmate, 8th grade, got a Tele Custom and a Deluxe Reverb for Christmas. I had just started playing guitar and had no idea how to set tone controls, thought it sounded harsh and unpleasant.

If youth only knew and age only could!

Telefan65 likes this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In 1975 I wasn't the slightest bit interested in having an electric guitar. I was a folkie: though I loved what the electric could do in the hands of people like Clapton I didn't want one.

Then I bought this book

910aKxVlVbL.jpg

On about page 80 or 81 (I'm away from home at present) I found this picture and fell in love. I have no idea why.

20171108_112119.jpg

I've enjoyed other electrics since then, but every Tele I've had has been special. About ten years before I could get one and my first was chosen to look like the one in Tom Wheeler's book. Cost me £278 new. But not a very close match - spot the difference!

20181025_114306.jpg

I got closer at last with a partscaster a year or so back

20181201_062522.jpg

But aren't they all lovely?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    DonM, RodeoTex and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  11. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

My dad had this EP......

Somewhere along the line I read that Bruce Welch played rhythm guitar.... and I wondered what a rhythm guitar looked like.....

[​IMG]

DonM, Fretting out and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Early on in the 1960's I only had eyes for SG's and LP's. First noticed Tele's somewhere there after with Keith Richards standing behind one. I really took note when I became awash with the Blues, and Roy Buchanan - kinda swept the floor of all guitars and all the playing I had seen before. Thanks Roy...rip.

WingedWords likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Probably James Burton with Ricky for me too. Not that I knew it was a "Telecaster." It was just an electric guitar.

Jeff Beck's Esquire on the cover of "Rave Up" was another big "Ah-Ha!" moment for me. Around that time some guys I knew in a band had an Esquire and they let me play it. That was a big deal to me. They had a Jordan Bosstone in the case. I don't know if it fit in the recessed jack of the guitar, but it sure was cool!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    StrangerNY likes this.
  14. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm almost positive it was Buck Owens and Don Rich. I started playing in 1960. Even though I was into Pop music at the time we still watched some CW TV at the house for the entertainment. I didn't buy my first one until the 2000s and I came here to see what I bought.

bdTele2.jpg

Greggorios, DonM and Telefan65 like this.
  15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The first time I paid attention to the fact that it was a Telecaster, was Springsteen's Esquire on the Born to Run album. I was 13 at the time. Our family watched Hee Haw pretty regularly while I was growing up, and I loved the guitar playing on that show, but I was more focused on the musicians than the guitars themselves. Probably an age thing for me.

Greggorios and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It was an Esquire. My band mate in 1966 was playing one he got from his older brother. I bet he still has it too.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

This was the first Tele I really ever noticed. Screenshot_2019-03-16-10-22-35.png

18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

19. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

Let me start with saying that as a young child I was absolutely mesmerized by The Bakersfield sound. Buck Owens and his Buckaroos. That is my first memory of hearing music, I was three. In 1969 when The show ”Hee Haw” began that is when I remember seeing Buck Owens lead guitarist Don Rich playing a telecaster and of course that sound that has brought me joy all of my life. Folks always ask me how did you learn to play guitar and I always say By watching “Hee Haw” I am a sponge so as a kid I would just copy what I saw being done on that show. My love for the telecaster began with Don rich.

2 Headed Goat and dented like this.
  20. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

C975C53B-C85B-46BE-B792-C3489892AB2D.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.