First Telecaster you ever saw...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kid Telecaster, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

Ok, this probably has been covered before BUT... what or when was the occasion you first saw a Telecaster? And fell in love...
    For me it was 1971 at a concert in Adelaide South Australia, Daddy Cool and Spectrum supporting the Kinks, and the singers of both supporting bands had telecasters for rhythm guitaring. It was the same guitar actually, a white Telecaster that they played in relay.
    I thort, how cool, such is how an electric guitar should look. I had an old electric that I had swapped a Spanish guitar for but it was a no names, (most 60s guitars were) and I never knew if it actually worked as I didn’t have an amp!!
    I bought a Maton solid body not long after and an amplifier (we’re moving ahead here so pay attention) but by this stage Japanese Telecaster copies were appearing in shops. I never bought one :( though.

Now I own many Fender Telecasters, all bought since 2016, MIA, MIC, MIM and I just love them, the look, the sound, the versatility, the history...
    And the Strat don’t even come close... it’s Tele or nowt lad

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The first time I payed any real attention was Richey Edward’s 70s Thinline, I think, as seen here.

There were a lot of Teles around on Top of the Pops in the mid 90s though. Blur, Elastica, Supergrass, etc...

2 Headed Goat, demon and Greggorios like this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

The first I noticed was a Mk1 road worn (whiteguard) staring back at me from a shop window in Amsterdam. And the rest is history :D

4. Twang

Twang Tele-Holic

Was at the record store to buy a Prince album and saw this. Was not a Bruce fan but I knew I needed a guitar like this in my life.

[​IMG]

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I’m sure I saw a zillion of em, but the first one I remember being conscious of and that I really dug was probably some early photo of Springsteen with his broadcaster. Before that it was all strats, which I loved, and Les Pauls, which looked too much like traditional old guitars... Bruce made the tele cool in my eyes for the first time.

But nothing could dissuade me from the strat when I started playing. I had a really good Ibanez Les Paul copy - wanted a strat. Had a friend with a Tele thinline, but I always thought it looked like a country guitar, Nd we were WAAAAY too cool for country. Wanted a strat. GOT a strat - have been a strat guy ever since. Fell briefly in love with a 50’s tele in a Tucson guitar store in about 79 or 80, but no way couldI afford it. Owned a few briefly but didn’t bond with any until a Road Worn with a neck that felt like that vintage one I played in that music store. I LOVE that guitar, but it’s still a relatively distant second to my strat (similar DNA - Robert Cray body and sound, but Road Worn 50’s neck - I seem to have a thing for those necks!)

thunderbyrd and Greggorios like this.
  6. Kid Telecaster

I think the Telecaster is as iconic a part of Americana as the car-finned beauties of the 50s or those old road side fast food stops on Interstate highways. So to incorporate it into an album cover that celebrates America makes sense.
    Some things truly endure, the Telecaster is one of them. It’s relatively cheap, it’s durable and it owes it existence to a man who’s only enduring dream was just to build a better mouse trap (albeit for musicians)
    It’s an icon. Enough said.

Twang, thunderbyrd and Greggorios like this.
  7. Kid Telecaster

Did you buy it? Did it come with the girl behind the window? :)

Greggorios and Seasicksailor like this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first Tele I saw caused me to make fun of the guy for having a Tele instead of a Strat or Les Paul. I regret that encounter despite it having occurred 25 years ago. If I only knew then what I know today...

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

changed my life . I didnt have a DVD player :)

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

The first one I remember was Harrison's Rosewood Tele in a Beatles book (I was a huge Beatles fan as a kid... bedroom posters and all). When I got the chance to get a 1985 Japanese one, I jumped at the opportunity. :cool:

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

James Burton with Ricky Nelson's band on Ozzie & Harriet. Playing this tune, matter of fact.

- D

Geo, DonM, Fretting out and 4 others like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm sure the first one I saw was probably on TV as a little kid in early 60s being played by someone on a music show like American Bandstand. The first one I "remember" seeing was one being played by Robbie Robertson of The Band.

The first one I played was a pink paisley with a bigsby that my best friend had at 13. That was the first quality solid body guitar I ever picked up and has stayed with me as what a quality guitar feels and plays like.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fretting out, Chip, Twang and 2 others like this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've written it many times, and here goes another: when I was a kid, about 69-70 or so, my uncle started a local country music show. and lots of the guitar pickers played tele's. and I would have mentally assigned the telecaster to country music if it wasn't for seeing Roy Buchanan on tv, along about 73. what he was doing was a whole 'nother planet! but it was a long time before I owned a tele. strats and les pauls bumped them on the bucket list.

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Can't remember the 1st one i saw but i can remember the 1st one i ever played a school friend (drummer) back in the late 80's we would go back to his parents house and smoke weed he shared a room with his younger brother (bass player) his younger brother had one of those early 80's Japanese Morris Telecasters and a Gibson SG the Tele never got touched it just stood on it's stand fast forward to the mid 90's the 3 of us now in a band together the tele turned up at a rehearsal room i remember reluctantly playing it straight through a mixing desk and power amp clean with a bit of reverb it sounded amazing tried many other guitars over the years but that sound of a telecaster is unique anyone who plays guitar should own one

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

16. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

20180207_173200_resized.jpg

DonM and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  17. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Jimi Pages Tele from that 1969 Denmark video. I saw it in a 2 second clip during MTV Led Zeppling Rockumentry. Thought it was a Strat for years but loved the sound.

18. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

It was probably Wilco Johnson, or Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers or Joe Strummer.
    Around that era. I knew then that I needed a black Tele'.

DonM likes this.
  19. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was this precise moment when the show aired. Don Rich’s Tele caught my attention right away, but when he plays that first turn around and the way it just took over the sonic landscape, I was very interested in what it was.

DonM, RodeoTex, Chip and 6 others like this.
  20. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While I'd looked at Telecasters since I first started playing guitar as a kid in the mid 1960's, first time I ever really took notice was at a backyard party and jam session that our drummer of the band I was playing with at the time was hosting. He had invited a lot of other local musicians and one of the guitarists had a '67 Telecaster, it was a faded white with a black pickguard and a rosewood fretboard. He asked me if I wanted to try it out and after playing it for a couple of songs I knew I'd have me a Telecaster before long.

2 Headed Goat and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.