1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Telecaster-style guitar: Neck gap at body normal?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JoeTX, Dec 2, 2020.

1. JoeTX

JoeTX TDPRI Member

I just received my first Telecaster style guitar (Slick SL51). Overall I'm very pleased. One thing that I'm unsure about is where the neck mates to the body there is a ~1/8" gap between the bottom of the neck and the top of the pickguard. Is this normal for a Telecaster? On other bolt-on-neck guitars I've played the bottom of the neck sits flush with the pickguard/body. Hopefully I can upload a photo since I didn't really describe this possible issue very well. TIA

Attached Files:

Boreas likes this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hi and thanks for telling about your Slick SL51.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the gap shown in your pic.
    Good to hear you like the guitar - weight?
    Peace - Deeve

3. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

No sweat. If it is a 22 fret neck (I bet it is) that piece that overhangs (creating your "gap") is just the extra length needed for the 22nd fret. Some Teles have 21 frets like the originals some have 22 so no big deal. Play that baby!.

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed. That's normal for a 22-fret neck. If you had a 1/8" gap anywhere on a 21-fret neck, that would be a problem. But this is fine. Play on, and welcome to the forum!

MickM likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes - normal. Because of the longer fretboard, you need a bit of a gap to be able to get the pickguard off easily, if needed.

6. JoeTX

JoeTX TDPRI Member

Many thanks for all the quick replies. And yes this guitar has 22 frets so it sounds like there is no problem.

As far as the Slick SL51 goes (I got it today) so far there's no obvious problems or concerns. It's not light compared to my SG. According to my kitchen scale my SL51 weights right at 8.5lbs. The neck is a bit chunkier than I'm used to but the fret ends are all nicely polished and smooth. It has the "relic" finish in spades down to the rusty screw heads and pickups. I wasn't real keen on the relic finishes starting out but they've grown on me. I really like all the brass hardware it has. Overall I'm very pleased especially considering it cost 259 bucks. It's amazing how much guitar you can buy for so cheap anymore. Oh and it sounds as good as I do which may or may not be a good thing. :)

Thanks again TDPRI members.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

sounds like a fab deal,,, i'd order one but old age and screws in my own neck make the weight an issue
    hope you enjoy many years of playing and learning on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.