First Tele

Seabeeswone

TDPRI Member
Hey all. I’ve played for nigh on 25 years, and I’ve traditionally been a Strat (always HSS configuration) or SG guy, but I pullled the trigger on a near mintish ‘03 Nashville Deluxe (Mex). I do very much love the neck on it (chunky, like a half sawn baseball bat) and the 5 way switching, but I find the stock bridge pickup to be a little thin for my taste. Any suggestions from the forum as to a stacked single or mini-hum I can swap the Tex-Mex for? I’m going to be playing mostly punk rock with it, and I want something with some good bite that will distort nicely, but clean up nicely as well and blend with the stock middle and neck pickups. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9F935C84-3DB3-472F-BAE8-13E515F53F64.jpeg
    9F935C84-3DB3-472F-BAE8-13E515F53F64.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 110

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
That'll be a great player! Congrats!

As far as a a pickup, I don't mind the seymour duncan vintage stack. It's plenty hot, barks pretty good and can match up with stock pickups more or less and they are reasonable cost wise. It cleans up pretty good to(a little better than the little 59 tele in my pinstriped guitar) Really depends on what sound you are going for

Seabeeswone

TDPRI Member
That'll be a great player! Congrats!

As far as a a pickup, I don't mind the seymour duncan vintage stack. It's plenty hot, barks pretty good and can match up with stock pickups more or less and they are reasonable cost wise. It cleans up pretty good to(a little better than the little 59 tele in my pinstriped guitar) Really depends on what sound you are going for
I’m looking for just a good fat crunch, but cleans up if need be. I haven’t owned an electric since 2013, and back then I was playing an SG (2012 Standard, when they built them almost exactly to the specs of the 61RI) an American Standard HSS through a Mesa F50 combo, and I nearly always play with just the bridge pickup (if that gives you some idea of what sort of sound I’m chasing). I’ve seen a lot of swaps for the Quarter Pound in this particular guitar, so I’m kind of leaning that way. Do you have any experience with that particular pickup?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hey all. I’ve played for nigh on 25 years, and I’ve traditionally been a Strat (always HSS configuration) or SG guy, but I pullled the trigger on a near mintish ‘03 Nashville Deluxe (Mex). I do very much love the neck on it (chunky, like a half sawn baseball bat) and the 5 way switching, but I find the stock bridge pickup to be a little thin for my taste. Any suggestions from the forum as to a stacked single or mini-hum I can swap the Tex-Mex for? I’m going to be playing mostly punk rock with it, and I want something with some good bite that will distort nicely, but clean up nicely as well and blend with the stock middle and neck pickups. Thanks!
Pickups are personal preference. I like Fralin. But there are a skajillion great winders.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I found the quarter pound to be very telecaster like, just more of it. Some guys really dig it, for me it really didn't scratch the itch for the guitar I was building at the time.

That particular guitar ended up with a bg1400(stacked humbucker)as it had the drive i was looking for and still cleaned up really well. Just have to make sure that you have a deep enough cavity for it.

There are more choices these days than ever before, so it really is just a matter of finding what works for you. There are also a ton of mini humbucker for tele pickups that could fit your punk rock bill.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I have a Dimarzio 'Chopper T' on my radical Esquire. It does punk rock great
20220620_172806.jpg

Attachments

• 20220516_163550~2.jpg
    20220516_163550~2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12

Seabeeswone

TDPRI Member
An excellent axe to belt out your punk rock. Rage on with some Clash, Misfits, Dead Kennedy's, Ramones, Stooges. Rock on
I can cover most of the classic punk with what I’ve got and a good fuzzy distortion pedal, but there’s some of the more contemporary stuff that’s really fat humbucker heavy. I’ve been trying to trade it off for a Strat, but I really think I may just keep it and learn to love it. It looks dope, has one of the best necks I’ve ever felt, and for all my gripes with it, it really is versatile as hell.

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
Congrats on the guitar-I envy anyone with a Nashville Tele!

If you want a higher output pickup check the neck position! It's usually routed to accommodate something higher output (i.e., humbuckers and so on).

Seabeeswone

TDPRI Member
Congrats on the guitar-I envy anyone with a Nashville Tele!

If you want a higher output pickup check the neck position! It's usually routed to accommodate something higher output (i.e., humbuckers and so on).
I’ve always been a Stratocaster fanboy. My first “legitimate” electric guitar was a late 90s or so 3 tone sunburst Standard Fat Strat (Mex made), and the love for that particular loadout had always stuck with me. Teles never held much appeal until I saw the Nashville. For all the sh*t Mexican made fenders get (so many opinions on the best years for them), the build quality is pretty top notch. I’m not a fan of the saddles and bridge on my ‘03, but the intonation is spot on. I read somewhere that they respec’d the fret sizes somewhere in the mid 2000s, but mine has the medium jumbo frets and the fatter neck with the 9.5 radius. The neck may be my favorite of any guitar I’ve ever owned, honestly. Really is a hell of a guitar.
Congrats, the Nashville is so versatile. It is a wonderful first Tele.
Congrats, the Nashville is so versatile. It is a wonderful first Tele.