First Tele, Questions About Knobs and PUP Positions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StompBoxRacer, Oct 23, 2019.

1. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

I recently acquired a 1994 MIM Telecaster Special/Deluxe. (It is my first Tele -yay me right?)
    It has a single coil at the bridge and a humbucker in the neck, and a 5 way selector switch that will split the Humbucker.
    The tone knob doesn't affect the sound at all using the neck pick up. Is this a common thing for Tele's (like how the tone knob doesn't do crap on the bridge position on a Strat?)
    Or does it sound like something needs some fixin'?
    The problem is specifically on positions 1. Neck Humbucking Pickup and 2. Tapped Neck Humbucking Pickup (Front Coil). Any combination with the Bridge pickup and the tone knob works, either position using only the neck pickup and it doesn't.
    I hate to sound like a complete newb but I've always steered well clear of Tele's up until now.

Here are the stats (it on positions 1&2 as listed below that the tone knob isn't affecting sound:

Pickups: Special Design Humbucking Pickup (Neck),
    Special Tele (Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: Special 5 Position Blade
    Positions:
    1. Neck Humbucking Pickup
    2. Tapped Neck Humbucking Pickup (Front Coil)
    3. Bridge and Neck Pickups
    4. Bridge and Tapped Neck Humbucking Pickup
    5. Bridge Pickup

Any insight would be greatly helpful.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I had one of these, years ago. I can't remember the tone knob not working on the neck pickup though. That may be a mod someone did. It's possible it is a stock feature though. I never played with the tone down very much...except to do was effects. Those are great guitars though. I ended up replacing the bridge pickup on mine with a Joe Barden, both for hum cancelling and a better, less brittle match with the neck.

If you can post a photo or two of the control cavity and solder points, it will help those of the more electrically inclined here to help you diagnose your problem.

Did you get the crimson transparent finish by any chance?

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

StompBoxRacer likes this.
  4. StompBoxRacer

I got the Crimson Burst finish (at least that was how it was listed).
    I've changed pickups and input jacks on other guitars, haven't done any pots or switches yet. This year has just been extremely busy for me, job, school, raising young children, so not much time to fiddle with set ups and the like. I actually dropped it off at my local music shop who has a repair department and they swapped out the selector switch and guess what? Problem NOT solved. I don't think the counter person did a good job relaying my problem to the repair department.
    I'll post pics when I get a chance to get into it, maybe later tonight.

5. StompBoxRacer

I totally welcome the nitpicking, I'm prone to that myself.
    The way you have it listed is also the way I understand it with the bridge being 1 and the neck being 5. I copied that listing from a Reverb.com description for that year and model. I thought it was listed backwards as well.

But my neck pick up should have tone control yes?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    2HBStrat likes this.
  6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Yes.

7. StompBoxRacer

[​IMG][​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

8. StompBoxRacer

Got some pics. Sorry if this posted on the thread twice the internet was not cooperating with me this morning.
    [​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.