1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First tele build – bridge idea

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rooboo, Mar 2, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I've just started ordering stuff for my first tele build.

I've got a nice maple neck, u-shape and nitro, 9,5 radius. Great neck.

I'm waiting for arrival of the body. A medium weight Swampash, unfinished.

But now to the fun stuff. I'm thinking of a reversed bridge. I play lefty but think I'm gonna order a righty bridge. I just realized that tele bridge sound is about getting those insane icepick trebles on the light strings under control, and still not get boominess on the heavy strings. Thinking of this the bridge pickup on a traditional tele is tilted the wrong way; for more treble on the light strings and in the other end more boominess on the heavy ones. So why not try the switcharoo? This way the neck will tilt the oposite direction: less treble on the light strings and less boominess on the heavy ones.

This sounds really great the more I think about it. Have any of you tried this and/or whats your take on it?

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly if the pickup were squarely set I doubt I would hear the difference. But maybe reversed.
    I tap poles up or down to get similar results. With care this is the cheapest option, followed by a cap change.

3. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I know the reason Leo Fender tilted it in the first place was to get as much treble out of the bridge as possible. But back then amps where not what they are today. So I by todays standard, he kind of overdid it. So why not turn it around to compensate… That's what I'm thinking anyhow. The difference will absolutely be subtle, but it will never the less be there.

4. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Tried it and hated it. Marginally smoother highs in exchange for neutered bass. No thanks.

rooboo likes this.
  5. Con-Tiki!

Con-Tiki! TDPRI Member

Glendale makes a straight pickup bridge plate. that might be worth trying. i have two of their am std bridges, super nice.

rooboo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.