1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First tele attempt

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by MrRivers12, Jun 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MrRivers12

MrRivers12 TDPRI Member

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You should only be routing off about 1/32" of wood and not that deep. Get yourself a shorter template bit and make a thicker/taller template so you are only taking off about 1/2" deep on the first pass.

Alternative method....bandsaw to outside the line and sand to the line.

You may want to read some of the build threads here and see what people do.

RogerC likes this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Here's some "stuff" I wrote back when I was doing the build threads.. I ope you find it useful .. it's all free and downloadable.. help yourself.

https://www.ronkirn.com/books-1

rk

DrASATele and tubegeek like this.
  4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Luckily building a tele is not rocket science. A little fudging here and there is OK. Take it easy with the router (the bit gets duller with use).

I might try another pass with the router. Just a kiss to remove the worst of the burn. You can sand it if you feel more comfortable.

OK, building a tele is like rocket science. I got carried away.

:D:D:D

Irondog likes this.
  5. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

there's nothing more miserable to your psyche and life, than trying to do a job with the wrong tool.

get the right tool for the job and keep it very very sharp. I feel like you should get powerful orbital sander, I worked in a cabinet shop building kitchen cabinets out of oak we burned the oak all the time, hundred grit paper on an orbital sander makes it go away in 10 seconds. I like the idea of re-kissing it with the original blade in a very slow careful fashion. Going too fast with a dull blade(or even a sharp blade) is what causes the burn.

have fun looks good

As an 18-year-old I rebuilt my 1970 Z28 Camaro, classic neighborhood all of us of souping up modifying streetcars.
    I would easily spend 2 or 3 days trying to get parts off or putting parts on finally giving up going down to the local auto parts store asking them what I need to install this or disassemble. Oh you're going to need a gear puller. I Buy the $40 tool the gear comes off in less than 60 seconds.suddenly life is good. Meanwhile I destroyed all of the nearby parts the tools the bolts walking around in frustrated anger for 3 days all because I didn't have the right tool for the job.
    I remember a week later my grandpa came over, that was the 1st time I heard the phrase , auto mechanics always have the right tool for the job, he made me go by a torque wrench to reassemble the engine.

Matthias likes this.
  6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

^this. You’re taking off waaay too much wood with your router.

7. MrRivers12

MrRivers12 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate the supportive feedback and criticism. I've been looking back through the old builds now for the last few months and must have gotten too excited and carried away to consider all of the consequences before making the cuts.

Improvements:
    - find the correct router speed/depth by making a test cut on the same type of wood
    - use thicker template or buy a shorter router template bit

Best regards

8. MrRivers12

MrRivers12 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot Ron. I've been going through the books over the last few weeks. I have really been enjoying the vast amount of information and humor. They have become one of my primary resources. :)

9. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

Thanks, very interesting documentation!

10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

With a flush trim bit, you can use the body, itself, as your template once you reach the depth you can manage from your template. But you also want to insure that you're literally just "shaving" off the last little bit of material required. Your body blank should be rough cut with a bandsaw, jigsaw or even a fretsaw to within 1/16" or 1mm of the final line as best as you can. You also want to be able to cut in a direct that's less prone to tearout with the router when you can so that takes some manipulation. Many folks use a flush trim bit with a a double bearing, top and bottom, in a router table so they can selectively move things around and still use their template.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.