First T-style build

headly21

Tele-Meister
Hi,

I'm not certain my process was the most proper method but here goes. I bolted on the neck and determined the scale lenght (so where aprox. the bridge needa to sit). Then I used rubber string. I attaced the string in the low e and high e posotions and eyeballed it from there. Moved the bridge to the left and right a bit until both "strings" seemed to align with the neck.

Thank you! That helps.

My situation is that the string-thru holes (and ferrule holes on the back) are pre-drilled, but not the bridge mounting holes. So, I don't see that I have much wiggle room with the bridge, but the body's holes for the neck pocket are not yet drilled (except for one).
So do you think I'm okay to assume that I need to install the bridge and then align the neck accordingly (as much as I can, given the limited wiggle room in the neck pocket)?

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
Thank you! That helps.

My situation is that the string-thru holes (and ferrule holes on the back) are pre-drilled, but not the bridge mounting holes. So, I don't see that I have much wiggle room with the bridge, but the body's holes for the neck pocket are not yet drilled (except for one).
So do you think I'm okay to assume that I need to install the bridge and then align the neck accordingly (as much as I can, given the limited wiggle room in the neck pocket)?
To be honest that's a bit out of my scope of knowledge. I can only assume that would be correct. This is my first build as well and I'm learning as I go. My body is currently drying until the 24th 😅. Then I'll know if my methods even worked 😛.

headly21

Tele-Meister
To be honest that's a bit out of my scope of knowledge. I can only assume that would be correct. This is my first build as well and I'm learning as I go. My body is currently drying until the 24th 😅. Then I'll know if my methods even worked 😛.
Cool! Thanks!
You'll be posting updates, I assume? 😁

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
Cool! Thanks!
You'll be posting updates, I assume? 😁
Sure,

at this point it looks like this :p

IMG_20220412_201703.jpg

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
Ok.... I've stumbled a bit. I was in the process of putting on the pickguard. As a way to make my life easier I tried predrilling the holes. AND.... The bit broke of in the guitar body. Any ideas how to get it out?

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Ok.... I've stumbled a bit. I was in the process of putting on the pickguard. As a way to make my life easier I tried predrilling the holes. AND.... The bit broke of in the guitar body. Any ideas how to get it out?

It happens - :)

If you have a pair of side-cutters, you can usually grab the end of the broken bit with the tip end of the cutters and pull it out without doing too much damage.

There is usually more than enough pickguard surrounding the screw hole - so once the guard is on you'll never see the boo-boo ;)

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Or get a small metal tube and file a series of teeth in the bottom. Drill around the bit, break off the offending stuff and pull it out.

headly21

Tele-Meister
Can you try a smaller drill bit to reverse the broken bit out?

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
Well... It's done for the most part. I'm still waiting fornthe ferules bushing plate but my bridge has the option to string the guitar from the front and I just had to try it out. Still needs some adjusting and the high E string keeps dropping out of the nut, but that's fixable :). I'm stoked about the PU selector. It works like a dream :D.

The color is awesome as well. It changes from orange to yellow depending on the light. I'm really satiafied how it turned out. It's a bit heavy though :p

IMG_20220529_115533.jpg IMG_20220529_115546.jpg IMG_20220529_115540.jpg IMG_20220528_145929.jpg IMG_20220529_115551.jpg

headly21

Tele-Meister
Well... It's done for the most part. I'm still waiting fornthe ferules bushing plate but my bridge has the option to string the guitar from the front and I just had to try it out. Still needs some adjusting and the high E string keeps dropping out of the nut, but that's fixable :). I'm stoked about the PU selector. It works like a dream :D.

The color is awesome as well. It changes from orange to yellow depending on the light. I'm really satiafied how it turned out. It's a bit heavy though :p

View attachment 988372 View attachment 988373 View attachment 988374 View attachment 988375 View attachment 988376
Dayum, I'm not a huge fan of orange, but this looks great! I haven't had any luck getting a photo of the actual color of my Tele body the way it looks IRL.

I really think Fender could sell this as a new color combo, like "Orange Creamsicle" or something.

headly21

Tele-Meister
Dayum, I'm not a huge fan of orange, but this looks great! I haven't had any luck getting a photo of the actual color of my Tele body the way it looks IRL.

I really think Fender could sell this as a new color combo, like "Orange Creamsicle" or something.
Screenshot_20220529-100900~2.jpg

I think this is the closest to the actual color of my build, although still a bit more orange than the way I see in person. I don't know why every photo seems to bring out more orange than how I see it "IRL."

Pencilman

TDPRI Member

Yeah, neither am I but everyone I know either has a white, black or turquise (or some other shade of blue or green) tele. I wanted a warm, positive, solid colour that isn't the classic red. I'm a graphic designer and colors do affect me on a conscious level :p. After doing some mockups orange caught my attention. My wife did say it reminds her of retro Iskra telephones we had in former Yugoslavia and Slovenia in the 90s 🤣.

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
A beautiful job! Well done! Do you like how it plays or are you holding judgement until you are fully done?
From what I've tested so far, i would say that the bridge alignment is just a bit off but I would have to play it a bit more to render my final verdict. The pu selector is amazing. I wa worried it wouldn't work or that it was unnecessarily complicated. But, having all the options is fun. The sound ranges from full and bright (sounding almost like a 12 string at times) , to thin and tinny.

peterg

Tele-Meister
Looks fantastic and the slider switches are a great idea. What pickups are you using and do you know their polarity and wind directions? Thin and tinny sounds like out of phase. Nothing wrong with out of phase. Just wondering if it’s what you are after.

Pencilman

TDPRI Member
Looks fantastic and the slider switches are a great idea. What pickups are you using and do you know their polarity and wind directions? Thin and tinny sounds like out of phase. Nothing wrong with out of phase. Just wondering if it’s what you are after.
I don't know the make of the pickups. They were salvaged from a strat. The tele bridge pickup is an aliexpress buy.

The sound flexibility was the thing I was after the most, hence the selector. I'm not a sound hound by any stretch but I like to play around with my options.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful guitar. Mine is a little different than your standard tele. Eastern red cedar body, American walnut neck, bois d'arc fretboard, pickguard and volume knob. Black walnut trim ring. Will machine the bridge today.
20220604_170339.jpg