1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First song you learned to play?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rooboo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I don't know how you define this. I only started guitar about 2.5 years ago. I made very little progress till this year when I started with a teacher and actually got some quality guitars. Particularly at first I feel like you're not really "learning the song", you're learning a bit of a song that you can handle and that lets you learn what you need to learn.

I first worked by myself with the Hal Leonard Guitar method.. not a terribly well thought out book in retrospect. First melody in there is a single note version of Ode to Joy. The book is really kind of odd in the early stages, it's way too much like they took a piano course and deleted the left hand and just made it for guitar. Weird approaches to chords and very little info on the physical aspects. The first tune in there that's pretty good to play is probably Greensleeves. It's basically all public domain music.

First song I worked on with my teacher was the vocal melody to "Every Breath you Take" by the Police, plus a beginner chord arrangement to play as an accompaniment. That was before I had an electric guitar.

I took lessons for about 3 months before getting my Telecaster, first song I worked with the Tele was "Walk Don't Run" by the ventures. I played most of it, but couldn't play the whole thing cleanly at a good tempo particularly the chords. I have been revisiting that lately, if I can memorize the whole thing I can play that pretty nicely now. For some reason the structure of it has made it hard for me to memorize, but if I put a week of daily practice into it now I'd have it and then I probably wouldn't forget it.

First song I could actually play the entire song within reason was "Living Loving Maid" by Led Zeppelin, to date it's the only song I learned the guitar solo on. Of course that song is overdubbed in the studio with a slide guitar part, I didn't learn that, I've never even tried a slide.

The first songs I can play basically the whole song, at tempo along with the recording and sound presentable are Harvest Moon and Heart of Gold by Neil Young, I can almost sing Heart of Gold while I play too. Pretty big milestone. Those two are within the past 6-8 weeks so very recently.

I was 38 when I started.. for some reason playing has increased my ability to memorize stuff a lot. Neat mental benefit. That only came when I started working on playing without the sheet music. I worked on piano for quite a while and my memorization never came along the same way.

rooboo, Minimalist518, xland and 3 others like this.
  2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

First songs were from Pete Seeger’s “Folk Singers Guitar Guide, vol. I” that I borrowed from my mother, but I don’t remember the exact ones.

For me, I consider my cherry busting song to be the first one I could play and sing in front of people. That would be “All I Can Do is Write About it” by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

rooboo likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, me too.

"Sympathy For The Devil" was the first song I learned, and I used those four chords (in various combinations) to adapt a bunch of other tunes. Great rhythm that can be turned into a long jam or a precise simple song.

It's funny that a Good Young Christian Boy such as myself started out learning that song. I had to convince mymom that it was a cautionary tale about keeping your distance from ol' Scratch.

The first song I learned on Harp/harmonica was the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" version of "Midnight Rambler"...

That album is a great primer for learning bluesy rock and roll.

First song I learned on slide guitar was "Little Red Rooster"...

rooboo and Bellacaster like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Hey hey, my my

rooboo likes this.
  5. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

This one and it nearly drove me potty with my fingers so sore, next i think was My Sweet Lord and then Maggie May, also i chipped away at the solos in it.

rooboo likes this.
  6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

rooboo likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bass?, Ziggy. Just following the root notes at first, but then a passable version of it.
    Guitar?, first song all the way through including solo bit?, Moon Over Marin.
    When I decided to try six strings, I also learned Wonderwall. I can't unlearn it.

rooboo and Minimalist518 like this.
  8. guitarsgreat101

guitarsgreat101 TDPRI Member

first song i learnt was Railroad by status quo or maybe Sweet Home Alabama.:) Great Guitar parts in both.

rooboo likes this.
  9. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Hah, I did too. Sounded a whole lot better once someone showed me how to do it right but hey, it doubled as Hang On Sloopy until then.

rooboo and brookdalebill like this.
  10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

1st - House of the Rising Sun, The Animals. 1964

rooboo and brookdalebill like this.
  11. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

It was the mid 70's: John Denver - Lady, then Sunshine on My Shoulders. After I got an electric, it reminded me a lot of the Beatles I've Got a Feeling, so I continued on to butcher that one too...

rooboo likes this.
  12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Walk, Don't Run for me, too. But instead of Learn To Play, I had some really, really awful sheet music.

Fortunately, though, guitar wasn't my first instrument, so I could figure out what was wrong on the sheet.

I can do a passable version of it.

rooboo likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
    (I think)

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The lead and rhythm parts for “Walk Dont Run” and “Tequila” by way of the “How To Play” record by the Ventures, like a lot of you guys...

15. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Teach your children by CSNY followed by Space Oddity by Bowie

rooboo likes this.
  16. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

on guitar, Paraniod.
    on bass, Dragon Attack.

Macrogats and Minimalist518 like this.
  17. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I taught myself by reading chord diagrams from a Beatles songbook, so not sure that I actually "learned" those-- mostly just strummed along.

"Beg, Borrow and Steal" (another variant on "Louie Louie") was the first song I ever played with anyone besides myself (short-lived garage band).

First song where I really worked out a riff and chording on my own was probably "Born on the Bayou."

rooboo likes this.
  18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My first band played original instrumentals. Phil the keyboard player wrote them for him to solo over. His two older brothers were session musicians in London and the US. We practiced together for a year or so and played one gig at the bass players barn.

The next band played a handful of youth group gigs. Our first gig set list consisted of Hi Ho Silver Lining, Let it be, and How Come. For an encore we repeated Hi Ho Silver Lining as we did not know any more songs. So one of those three would have been the first recognisable song I learned to play.

rooboo likes this.
  19. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Hank Thompson's "Squaws along the Yukon". Merle Travis on guitar, I do believe.

Yip I'm a Rube :rolleyes:

20. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

YALCaster beat me to it... Come As You Are - Nirvana...

rooboo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.