1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First song you learned to play?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rooboo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

What's the first song you ever learned to play. Besides little childrens tunes the first real song I ever learned was Smoke on the Water. I guess I'm not alone in that.

First song I ever learned myself to play was She by Kiss. It's an easy song and it was 30+ years ago but I can still remember how it made me feel, that I could do that; listen to a record and copy the whole song. Epic thing!

So where did I end up? I'm playing in this funky blues outfit. Pretty far from Deep Purple and Kiss :)

2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

On Bass- Paranoid
    On guitar- Sweet Jane

rooboo, Minimalist518 and callasabra like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gloria, by Them.
    I was 11, it was 1968.
    First I got the E-D-A-E rhythm, then the lick at the 12th fret.
    Sorta.
    I didn't "nail" it.
    It set me on a path to the (tedious) House Of The Rising Sun, with it's dreaded first position, partial barre F chord.
    That F chord was a serious rite of passage, for me and my tribe of garage/bedroom rockers.
    HOTRS was the next tune I learned.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    drmmrr55, Jim W, rooboo and 6 others like this.
  4. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

I'm impressed that Bill can remember, because I'm not sure I can and I'm a number of years behind him. If I really try very hard to journey way back in time, I think the first I can remember learning on guitar was Crossroads (Cream version of course). Or maybe Killing Floor. I took a lot longer to learn songs in those days, but then again they have stuck fast and I can still rattle them off today. That's an important reflection for me.

rooboo likes this.
  5. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Lucky Man by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

rooboo likes this.
  6. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Gloria, then Louie Louie, of course!

BuckNekkid, rooboo and brookdalebill like this.
  7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Times Like These by Foo Fighters

rooboo and Minimalist518 like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Did you "get" that the 5 chord in Louie Louie was a minor?
    I didn't, I happily hammered a B7th.
    I hammered it wrong till a bandmate told me, much later.
    Doh!

rooboo, A.B.Negative, awasson and 3 others like this.
  9. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

"The McCoy" by the Ventures, first song they recorded (Played on Fenders). Funny how great they were and they played this, so simple even I picked it up (I'm a bass player - not guitar) -- only four licks or so easily stretched to end a set.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I think in all honesty that it was "Dirty Water" by the Standells.
    I'd already been taking lessons and learning to read music and play classical tunes and such
    for 2-3 years.

11. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I started playing guitar while listening to acoustic blues, the first Bob Dylan album, many folk music albums and some jazz. The very first song I learned was two chords (I Gave My Love a Cherry) from a fake book. I actually learned two songs that first day, both really easy songs. In the first six months of playing I learned a bunch of songs and after about six months of playing my father came in with his guitar and asked me to teach him how to play Midnight Special.

I had been listening to a lot of Leadbelly and that was the way I played it, as close as I could anyway.

In the first six months I had also learned to play House of the Rising Sun with the chord progression that Bob Dylan used (stolen from Dave Van Ronk), so a few years later when I was in about sixth grade and the Animals came out with House of The Rising Sun I loved the version, but really preferred the descending chords I had originally learned. My friends couldn't believe I already knew the song, but I had been playing it for a couple of years by then.

rooboo, Minimalist518 and Rustbucket like this.
  12. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Exactly my experience as well. Probably around '65-'66 and I would have been around 14.

rooboo, thegeezer and brookdalebill like this.
  13. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Sympathy for the Devil off Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Pretty simple stuff that rocks with the only four chords I knew for several years. That whole album is a crash course in simple but great rhythm playing.

14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain", written by Roy Acuff's business partner, Fred Rose. Later I learned another one of his, "Foggy River".

rooboo and Rustbucket like this.
  15. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I memory serves me well, it was probably House of the Rising Sun, using a sloppy and basic fingerpicking pattern (probably didn't have a pick yet!). It was on a cheap classical.

rooboo, Alamo and Sounds Good like this.
  16. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

rooboo likes this.
  17. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Come as you are - Nirvana

rooboo, NICQ and jenos like this.
  18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Walk, Don't Run-Off the "Learn to Play" with the Ventures albums. The You Tube of the day!

rooboo, Obsessed and BorderRadio like this.
  19. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Johnny Reb which I did at my Junior High School (Starling Junior High, Columbus OH) talent show in 1959. I later got to meet Johnny Horton at a music venue called "Hillbilly Park" outside Newark, OH a little East of Columbus. I sneaked to back of the bandstand building in hopes of seeing his guitar player as I was in awe of the beginning riff of the "Battle of New Orleans". On the stairway to the building entrance was none other than Johnny himself! When I asked if I could meet his guitar player he agreed to do so if I would go to the concession stand and get him a cup of coffee. I got the coffee and he had his guitar player come out and join us for a few minutes. But the story didn't stop there; when it came time for the Battle of New Orleans to be played I was called onto the stage to join them and he even let me sing a few lines.

My hopes of seeing him again were shattered less than a year later when he died in a traffic accident - Rest in Peace Johnny

rooboo, RedRiverII, troy2003 and 2 others like this.
  20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I believe "Goodnight, Irene" was one of the first folk songs in an old Mel Bay book.

After that, it was dead simple power chord songs of the day: probably Bush's "Glycerine," Green Day's "When I Come Around," or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.

rooboo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.