First Solo Gig Last Night

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I used to have a regular solo gig at a wine bar (House Wine) in Austin.
It went away with the, you know.
I kinda miss it.
It’s great to play whatever you want.
Anyways, congratulations on your auspicious maiden voyage!

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
I did that solo acoustic guitar and voice during the 90’s after having played in bands since the late 50’s. Mainly doing my own original songs. Most fun I ever had playing gigs and open mics.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"Asked me to walk her to her car" is in fact how love stories begin, but also how horror movies start.....
Well, a couple weeks on.......we actually talked twice on the phone, or rather, SHE talked on the phone, and I listened.......it was a very one-sided kind of thing, with no real purpose. (in my opinion) I've never had a "connection" come from a gig-related interaction......just hasn't ever come to anything. So, while not a "horror story", but not a "Love Story" either.
But, at least the solo performance aspect is promising......
I've another gig coming up a week from now. We'll see how that goes. ;)

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
The solo gig you describe is a bit different than what I've been doing for the better part of 55 years, although I did start out on acoustic guitar and vocals only. Competition in the marketplace kinda dictated that, over the years, that, if I wanted to stay competitive, I added electronic drums, bass pedals, then an analogue backing system of electronic drums, automated bass line, chunk piano chords, drone organ and strings. When I started to have problems with the analogue system, I went to Band In a Box, and have used it in a number of iterations since. I now play electric, usually a semi hollow, occasionally my Tele partscaster, thru my 1979 Vibrolux Reverb, clean with no pedals. I also run a Roland GK3 into a Roland GR30 that gives all kinds of different sounds (sax, flute, organ, etc). Now, if I could play decent lead, beyond avoiding clams while noodling, I'd be purtnear set, but...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The solo gig you describe is a bit different than what I've been doing for the better part of 55 years, although I did start out on acoustic guitar and vocals only. Competition in the marketplace kinda dictated that, over the years, that, if I wanted to stay competitive, I added electronic drums, bass pedals, then an analogue backing system of electronic drums, automated bass line, chunk piano chords, drone organ and strings. When I started to have problems with the analogue system, I went to Band In a Box, and have used it in a number of iterations since. I now play electric, usually a semi hollow, occasionally my Tele partscaster, thru my 1979 Vibrolux Reverb, clean with no pedals. I also run a Roland GK3 into a Roland GR30 that gives all kinds of different sounds (sax, flute, organ, etc). Now, if I could play decent lead, beyond avoiding clams while noodling, I'd be purtnear set, but...
Maybe I need to look into a Band in a Box. As I've mentioned, I've been unsuccessful finding the right "compadres" to further this project. Ideally, I'd like an upright bassist and a Cajon player......and if they could sing (leads OR harmony) that would be a huge plus. I've seen guys who use loopers and synths to fill out the sound, but I'm just not tech-savvy enough to use those. I'm still hoping that if I can get out and play enough solo gigs, I'll attract another player or two.