First Solo Gig Last Night

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've done a few "solo" performances before, but mainly just a song or two at a regular band gig......but I've been working up a strictly solo, (guitar and voice) act for a few months. I was invited to what used to a regular band gig last night. Private venue, two bands + me, each doing four song (short sets) in rotation. (Rinse, repeat) The two bands played (LOUD) first.....then me. I'm deliberately doing low-keyed versions of mostly 60's, 70's, and 80's pop/rock songs. Used my Godin Multiac Nylon guitar straight into a Fishman Loudbox mini amp.....great amplified classical guitar sound. Subdued (almost soto voce) vocals. Quite a contrast to the other acts. I'm happy to say it was well received. I even had an attractive lady come up to me after my first set, and say how much she enjoyed the songs, my arrangements, and how calming they were after really loud playing by the others. I made a couple minor "clams".....but I covered them ok, and carried on. When you're playing the only instrument, and trying to cover all the bases, including lead breaks, you're really "exposed" and vulnerable.
And, as a side note, when the nice lady ended up leaving before the rest of us, she asked me to walk her out to her car. We talked for a while, and discovered we had lived for a few years in the same neighborhood as children......small world. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but who knows where it might lead? Maybe I'll have future news. (?) ;)

Last edited:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
You're encouraging me to get my act together and start looking for bookings in small local venues.
I want to do folk/rock/blues stuff from the '60s and '70s - just like I did back in the day.
Steve Goodman, John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, EC, Ry Cooder, CSNY, etc. Good stuff.
But I had 2 things then that I lack nowadays: Hair and a partner.
I can wear a hat to cover my noggin ... but I'm having a devil of a time finding someone to gig with.
Trying local jams, which is where I found a partner once back in the day.
Too bad Texas and Idaho are so far apart ...

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
Awesome story, well done! Keep up the good solo work.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't played much live in the last 5 years, but now I'm working again to get up and do a solo act. Me and my acoustic, will be fun. I've never done the solo stuff before, always was in a band setting.. but doing solo gigs at this point of my life will be a great adventure.

Let us know how the next gigs go.. take care

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Isn't this why you picked up a guitar in the first place?;)
I used to refer to my guitar as a "pu%%y magnet."
But they don't make the magnetic ones any more - all digital these days.
Which is OK because I'm happily married and I already have a big buxom blonde on the side.
1665952957055.png

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats and big admiration for setting your sights on something new and seeing it through. Here's to hoping it takes you further on down the road of your musical journey.:)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've done a few "solo" performances before, but mainly just a song or two at a regular band gig......but I've been working up a strictly solo, (guitar and voice) act for a few months. I was invited to what used to a regular band gig last night. Private venue, two bands + me, each doing four song (short sets) in rotation. (Rinse, repeat) The two bands played (LOUD) first.....then me. I'm deliberately doing low-keyed versions of mostly 60's, 70's, and 80's pop/rock songs. Used my Godin Multiac Nylon guitar straight into a Fishman Loudbox mini amp.....great amplified classical guitar sound. Subdued (almost soto voce) vocals. Quite a contrast to the other acts. I'm happy to say it was well received. I even had an attractive lady come up to me after my first set, and say how much she enjoyed the songs, my arrangements, and how calming they were after really loud playing by the others. I made a couple minor "clams".....but I covered them ok, and carried on. When you're playing the only instrument, and trying to cover all the bases, including lead breaks, you're really "exposed" and vulnerable.
And, as a side note, when the nice lady ended up leaving before the rest of us, she asked me to walk her out to her car. We talked for a while, and discovered we had lived for a few years in the same neighborhood as children......small world. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but who knows where it might lead? Maybe I'll have future news. (?) ;)
Not just a man, not just an entertainer, a LEGEND is born right here on the BD! Way to go buddy!

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Congrats.

It would scare me to deal play solo like that, but it's happening more and more around here.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Isn't this why you picked up a guitar in the first place?;)
I know that's what a lot of guys think.....but believe it or not, I picked up a guitar 'cos of the music.
And.....I've never had much luck meeting girls (women) at gigs. I think I consider it a job (that I love doing) and I've always been focussed on that. :(
I used to refer to my guitar as a "pu%%y magnet."
But they don't make the magnetic ones any more - all digital these days.
Which is OK because I'm happily married and I already have a big buxom blonde on the side.
View attachment 1040720
Now THAT'S a blonde I would drool over! ;)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
You're encouraging me to get my act together and start looking for bookings in small local venues.
I want to do folk/rock/blues stuff from the '60s and '70s - just like I did back in the day.
Steve Goodman, John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, EC, Ry Cooder, CSNY, etc. Good stuff.
But I had 2 things then that I lack nowadays: Hair and a partner.
I can wear a hat to cover my noggin ... but I'm having a devil of a time finding someone to gig with.
Trying local jams, which is where I found a partner once back in the day.
Too bad Texas and Idaho are so far apart ...
I have tried for months to find a cohort in crime......another guitarist to share vocal and guitar fills duty, or an upright bassist would be nice. Just no luck with ads, so I figured the best thing to do is find some places to play out, and maybe someone will find ME. I'd really like someone else to share the spotlight/focus.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I did my first solo gig for a private party last year. The owner of the B&B asked me. It was summer and the party was in the garden.

It went well and I would like to do more. I just don't know how to find more gigs.