1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newtwanger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

The curiosity factor finally got me and I've stepped up to making a guitar from scratch. I can be a builder instead of an assembler :D

So here's yesterday's work.
    It's inspired by the snakehead prototype, the Cabronita Especiale and recent threads of double-cut teles.
    It's have a Glendale Strate-Plate, dual rear control cavities (one for regular stuff, one to house a tonebender circuit activated off a push-pull knob. No neck pickup and we'll see where I go with pickguard.

I went with a 1/4 body radius and the neck will be a 1" medium V to chunky U.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Looks really good so far. I'm looking forward to your updates as you move along with it.

3. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Looking good so far! Post lots of pics!

4. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Subbing like a quizno's employee.

5. newtwanger

Comment went totally over my head dude. No comprende. :)

6. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Sub, is to subscribe to a thread.
    It means i'm excited.

7. newtwanger

Thanks for the translation! (I'm thick and live in a French province)

Just got my vintage sized fretwire, fretboard radius sanding block and super-cool fret saw with depth guage. I'm stoked! Can't wait for the weekend to advance to priming the body and contouring the neck.

Attached Files:

8. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

Ah, I see you found the double cut tele's a little inspiring too?!?!

A couple of weeks ago I made a template and cut a buck to make a fibreglass mould for a fibreglass or carbon backed thinline double cut tele. But first I need to make a better template to turn that bit of ash in my spare room into a 52 black guard.

Can't wait to be more inspired by your build.

Oh, why two control cavities?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  9. newtwanger

As I wrote in my first post:
    "dual rear control cavities (one for regular stuff, one to house a tonebender circuit activated off a push-pull knob. )"

I'll build the guitar first, then over the winter I'll make a germanium tonebender type circuit and store it in there. I need a wiring challenge as I suck at soldering :D

I'm currently working on the grain fill and the "oops" fills :rolleyes:

10. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

This is coming along nicely and it's one of the most interesting concepts I've seen lately. Nevertheless it amazes me that some threads that show the assembly of pre-manufactured parts get more replys than true handmade guitars like this one here. Keep up the good work...I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished...

11. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read. Must learn to read.

Lol

I have a problem with my anti virus software that causes my cursor to disapear when it goes to check mail email. This sometimes causes me to miss a few words from a sentence if I don't check. So I've corrected the above post, I read it and thought I must have come across as a proper shop front saying I couldn't be more inspired by your build. Sorry man!

12. newtwanger

OK, Saturday work report (on Sunday)

The body is ready for paint but I decided to try one of Tapantone's deluxe ferrule "tone bar" instead of the string ferrules so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

The neck is coming along fine. Headstock complete, 1st fret, 12th fret and butt end are contoured. one half of the neck has it's final shape. fretboard is contoured to 7.25".

I included a shot of the tools used to do this job. A Rigid oscillating sander, a Makita palm sander and a flat 12" manual sanding block. Fretboard was done with the StewMac 7.25 rad sanding block. Note the "contour copier" I used to get the shape of my favorite "fat U" neck and copy it to this neck. It'll be 0.98 at the 1st and 12th fret unless I oversand it.

I basically shaped the neck below the headstock, shaped it at the butt, then sanded between the two areas until the entire side of the neck was done.

On to the right side!!

(on a side note, I find it MUCH easier to pay Tommy at USACG to do this for me....:lol:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Beautiful work, keep the pics coming

14. lespauljr

lespauljr Tele-Meister

Great job. It makes me want to try a double cut for my first one.

15. newtwanger

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Yesterday I managed to finish up the routs on the back. These put the neck plate, control plates and Taipantone deluxe tone bar flush with the back.

I also bought a spokesshave and mini plane ($25 for both). What took me over an hour with my oscillating sander and palm sander to do the left side of the neck, took about 5 minutes with these tools. I must add that if you are not adept with a plane, you can bugger something up much easier too! I'm OK with most hand tools.

Maybe today I'll try a fret or two. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nicktarnow

Nicktarnow TDPRI Member

I have always loved the look of double cut teles.

17. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

So, whatever happened to this one?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.