First scratch build...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NightOwl, Feb 25, 2020.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I have posted here. I finally am getting around to my very first scratch build. This will have an alder body, maple/ebony neck, hardtail and possibly a few filtertrons hanging out in there. As you can see, I've established my centerline and began my ugly routing. I've also decided to go with the swimming pool route in a feeble attempt to reduce weight. The blank is ugly in the upper rear bout, so this girl is gonna be a solid color. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

mkster, Yonatan and bftfender like this.
  2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a good beginning. Alder is great for solid or transparent finishes. Make sure you have the neck before you place your bridge.
    Good luck, I'm looking forward to your progress.

NightOwl likes this.
  3. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm planning on building the neck also. I've read everything I could find and watched as many videos as I can retain. I think it's time to step off the curb.
    I made the route pretty deep because of several reasons. The first is weight and the second reason is because of the long screws on the back of the Filtertron. I'm wondering if just hogging all of the routing to 1 1/2" deep would have any ill effects. There's no trem cavity to accidentally cut into. It's gonna be covered by a pickguard, so looks won't be an issue. My plan is basically to build a strat shaped cabronita. A Stratonita?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Great thread! I am thinking about doing the jigs like our friend in Canada does. I'm planning on slow and easy. There's no sense in getting in a hurry. That's when mistakes happen.
    How would you go about duplicating an existing neck? My dad has a 62 reissue that is perfect in my hands. My Gretsch Hot Rod also has a pretty fantastic profile. I can't get my head around the way he explained the math for the pucks. I'm sure some 2x4's will be used as test pieces.
    I saw that Brainy posted in that thread. He is missed. He helped me a lot during my first assembly.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Duplicating carvers or cnc's are commonly used but are somewhat out of reason for most of us. However you can buy a cool little gizmo from Grizzly or other hardware suppliers that are designed for duplicating moldings. You push it against the neck and it conforms to the shape, then you make your carving templates from that. Here I am duplicating the neck on a vintage goldtop Les Paul, the blue tape protects the neck while I measure it

IMG_1486-1.jpg

Transfer the shape to a piece of paper and make templates for at least to locations

IMG_1488-1.jpg

Carve to fit the templates

IMG_1595.JPG

If you want to see a tele style neck carved from scratch start on the bottom of page 1 here

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-tele-ish-sort-of-thing.884657/

Also, if you don't have it, get a copy of Melvyn Hiscock's book on building you own electric guitar

MickM likes this.
  7. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

I had planned on using a contour gauge. What I don't get is how to cut neck routing pucks to transfer the back contour. It's the offset I'm having trouble with. I realize that the router bit can be adjusted for fine tuning too. Am I just making it out to be more than it is? I'll have to check out the book. Thanks for the recommendation!

8. Freeman Keller

I am currently building two necks as part of my double neck build, mostly on pages 3 and 4 but I kind of jump around.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/double-trouble.1003555/page-3

These necks are a lot more complicated than a fender style which is why I pointed you to the tele build thread, but the sequence is still the same. I use a router (table) for the truss rod and some basics shaping but I do all the carving by hand with sharp tools. I more or less use facets for the basic removal but then I use the templates for the final shaping.

Almost any good set of plans will have cross sections of the neck which can be used to make templates, my little gizmo lets you copy a real neck. BTW - people have liked that gold top neck so much that I've use that shape on quite a few guitars, including my personal tele-clone.

9. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

That's a sweet guitar you are building! I really like the batwing design at the base. I like interesting shaped guitars. I'm looking forward to building a Billy Bo Jupiter style someday. I just think it's the coolest looking guitar ever. I love telecasters and Gretsch hollowbodies. I tolerate slippery little strat styles. They're hard for me to hang on to because of the edge route. Guess I've been playing square-edged guitars for too long.

As I was typing my last reply, the light bulb went on about the offset in the neck pucks. Bing!!!!

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

DrASATele likes this.
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Go back and re-read the section on how to lay out the facet lines. You would use your contour gauge to make the half round arc on graph paper or cardboard. You need pucks if you are making the sheltema jig,but not with a regular carve.

cross sections5.png

Captain Nutslot and DrASATele like this.
  12. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Well, I was trying to take light passes on the router table and zing! The body was across the shop. It's nothing a little Bondo can't hide...

13. Freeman Keller

That happens once to most of us, then we never let it happen again.

ctmullins and NightOwl like this.
  14. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

If this guitar was going to be a transparent, I'd have lost my mind. Since it's getting painted, I'm not terribly upset. It's a setback but not the end of the world.

15. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

IMG_20200302_124244.jpg Ok guys, here's some progress. Nevermind the Bondo and the goofy piece grafted in. This is my very first time, so be gentle with me! It's gonna be a solid color and I expect a LOT of sanding and a bit of defect filling. Gotta start somewhere, right?

mkster and LeftFinger like this.
  16. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Looks like you’re doing an arm rest there. That should remove a bit of the repair.

NightOwl likes this.
  17. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Oh yeah. It'll get contoured. It's right at five pounds without proper contours and roundovers. Can't wait to see how skinny she gets.

Macrogats likes this.
  18. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Hey everyone! Here's an update on my hack job on the stratonita. Cabro-strat? Today I finally got the heavy woodworking done. I cut in the contours and filed in all of the roundovers. Since I got all "Bo Bo the circus clown" with the router, I also did the tapered heel thing like Warmoth does. The rough sanding is done and it's just refinements from here on out.

I also cut the maple for the neck blanks. I'm doing a laminate neck. I'm mainly doing it because I was starting with a 6/4 piece of maple. Cutting it into strips and gluing will prevent waste.

Color poll time. What color do you guys think I should paint it? She weighs in at 4.65 pounds. I don't think that's terrible at all for a hardtail.

IMG_20200306_145123.jpg

Attached Files:

Macrogats, Captain Nutslot and mkster like this.
  19. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Since I'm goofy for white guitars like the Gretsch white falcon and penguin, this one is gonna be white. That Duplicolor pearl white might be sweet. If anyone has any recommendation on Duplicolor, I'd love to hear it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.