1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First real gig in 29 years!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Yikes. 1979 was the last time I played in front of more than a couple of dozen people. There were maybe three hundred people watching our battle of the bands. I've played simple Punk and simple Blues in front of crowds. Then I strummed an Epiphone (badly) for over twenty years, playing and singin' mostly Jim Croce tunes alone in my room. A few years back I started getting into guitar.

Two weeks ago I visited a friend who was in an obscure, touring, Metal band in the late 80's. He turned me on to Porcupine Tree. I loved it right away. "Dude, you can sing!" I don't know how he could hear it, considering the volume of the Porcupine DVD. The next thing you know I'm tuning my PRS SE Custom to drop D and he's calling his guitarist. I never thought I'd tune to drop D. I never thought I'd be in a Prog/Metal band.

Labor Day I'm fronting a band that will open a decent-sized block party that will feature a band of gents who play some Steely Dan and a bunch of cool originals. Our band of gypsys will play five Porcupine Tree songs first. Talk about needing a name for a band. That's the least of my worries.

So now I have to learn "Open Car", "Blackest Eyes", "Lazarus", "Halo" and "Shallow" in five weeks. That's a song a week. I've got "Blackest Eyes" down pretty well. This is so far removed from what I usually play that it's a joke. Luckily my friends can play this stuff in their sleep. I'm shocked at how quickly I learned "Blackest Eyes". It's not that tough. The guy's music (Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree) is lovely and multi-layered, but each part isn't that bad.

So, I won't be checking in here much. I'm going to try to wake up at 5am and practice for an hour and a half before I leave for work, practice each night on my headphones, take a week off from work, and get together twice a week with most of the other guys.

This should be fun, but I'm hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew. My wife, who usually lovingly mocks me, is really encouraging me to pull this off.

I'll let you know how it goes.

2. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Fear not, brother! Rock on!!

mud

3. Cowboyfjt

Cowboyfjt Tele-Meister

Whoo-YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Congraulations to YOU!

I especially respect your work ethic. When you take the stage and wail that first chord - you''ll have earned it. :D

Good job!

Post results... :idea:

Cowboy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.