First purchase for the cottage shop.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by jkingma, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    So my wife and I are all settled into our new cottage, which will be our permanent home when I retire.

This past weekend I saw an ad online for a Delta Table Saw for only 90 bucks. From the photo it looked nearly new. I check into it and it was located about a half hour drive away, and we were going that way to do some shopping anyway.

We get there and the older chap selling it tells me he's had it for a few years but only used it for one small reno project. I plugged it in to make sure it worked and told him I would take it. I go to hand him the 90 bucks and he says he thinks he's asking too much and tries to give me 20 back. I told him he was selling it too cheap and that I felt guilty only giving him 90.

Anyway, I loaded it on the truck and a short while later it was in my new northern workshop.

My brother just gave me his old Freud router table & router as well, which he hasn't used in 15 years.

I'm also going to take my lathe up there, which I seldom use at home. The extra space in my home shop will be nice.

IMG_20190615_133202_542.jpg

Matt G, TeleTex82, Piggy Stu and 5 others like this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Loverly! Wax up that table and spend the money you saved to get a nice CMT blade for it. Oh, and do watch your fingers!

Enjoy your new digs :) TP

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Nice score! Enjoy it!

4. jkingma

Admin Post
    Now I just need a bandsaw, drill press, jointer, spindle sander, dust collector and a bunch of hand tools..........

knockeduptele likes this.
  5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

LOL, I have all of those...but need a table-saw. I won't get a table-saw until after the new garage/workshop is complete and I have a place to put everything. I didn't want to get a heavy tool and then have to move it 500mi. I'll buy it and have it delivered. I've been saving for 10 yrs, so probably a nice Sawstop saw.

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    I have all of those as well, in my shop at home... but I'm trying to set-up a small shop at my cottage as inexpensively as possible.

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    I've slowly been working on my cottage shop. I spent a lot of time last week sorting through stuff left by the previous owner. I made 3 or 4 trips to the dump to get rid of junk that he had hoarded away in there. Also got rid of his old work bench started building some proper benches. Next trip up I should get them done.

IMG_20190814_204532_475.jpg IMG_20190814_204532_474.jpg 67931465_2379741315601789_273106859999625216_n.jpg

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    Scored a used drill press and bandsaw this past weekend for the cottage shop. Keeping my eye open for a jointer and small planer as well.

IMG_20190825_150756_654.jpg IMG_20190825_150756_651.jpg

Axis29 and RogerC like this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a small Craftsman bandsaw, similar to that for about 30 years. It was the first motor driven tool my father ever bought me... So, was hard to let go of. But, it was time. I sold it last year, when we moved. It drove me crazy as it was so underpowered for the stuff I wanted it to do, and the blades kept hopping off the tires. But, it worked fantastically if I was just cutting thin stock! I will say, it did cut out a couple of full thickness Tele bodies, though! LOL

I would wager your newsed Delta will be a better machine for sure!

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    It's a 16" benchtop model and it seems to be very well built. Although I only tried it with a piece of 1" thick maple before I bought it, I'm sure it will handle something twice as thick quite easily - once I put on a new blade and set it up.

Axis29 likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

My "shop" is a corner of a three car garage. I've been building guitars there for 13 years, starting with almost no power tools and adding them slowly as I need them. My philosophy has been to think about the last guitar and what would have made it easier and to add that tool to the mix.

There are a few tools that I think are indispensable - a band saw (well set up), a small router table (for nothing more that truss rod channels), a belt sander and a drill press. I learned to measure the throat depth on the drill press to make sure it will do the ferrules on a tele (mine won't). I have a table saw that I never use and a small compressor that I bought at a yard sale (it has finished a lot of guitars). My dust collection system is a shop vac that I move from the belt sander to the band saw as needed.

Some of my "tools" (my go bar deck, bending machine, router table, band saw, hot pipes.....) are used so infrequently that they are stored in the attic of the garage - I get them down when I want to do that operation, then put them away when I'm done. I've built a dozen different sizes and shapes of acoustics - all the molds are filed away upstairs for the next time. Its not very handy, but it works.

Other than that, I use hand tools and don't feel the need for anything else. I've built 25 guitar like objects and about the only other thing I feel a need for is an arbor press (I use my drill press for fret and that's a really bad idea).

If I could have a "real" shop the only other things I would add is HVAC with humidity control (I frequently stop work when the RH drops too low) and I would like better dust collection. I might wall off a section to make a spray booth. Storage for wood and molds and things like that might be nice. I would put in enough power to run everything I need (right now if I start my compressor I have to turn off the heat) and I would like a bathroom so I don't have to run into the house.....

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

@Freeman Keller, I'm kind of on the other side of things... with a similar shop size. I do more than just guitars, a lot of furniture and cabinets... But, also a few guitars, and amp cabinets, etc.

My workflow is probably typical of garage shops. Wood comes out of or off of my Cherokee and will get cut to rough size outside on saw horses. Then it moves inside and gets cut to length and width accordingly on my table saw, miter saw or bandsaw. Then, the handwork starts... But, I do a lot of router work as well... Freehand and table stuff. I'm setting up my new shop now (we just moved in three weeks ago) and have been building shop 'furniture' this week. OF course, sometimes wood can sit for a while in my shop to settle as well.

Interesting thing is that storage is always a problem... No matter what size our shops are! LOL I've been trying to figure out how to solve that one a good bit this week. Haven't got the answers yet, but have some ideas.

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    Spent some time this weekend getting the workbenches done and then getting my woodstove up to code so that I can use it this fall.

Still have a ton of work to do before I start building guitars here, but it's coming along.

20190915_165145.jpg 20190912_140508.jpg 20190912_140542.jpg

DrASATele and RogerC like this.
  14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a pellet stove in my shop, kind of glad it isn't a wood stove, might be tempted to toss stuff in it when things go wrong! It's great for keeping the entire basement warm though.

Looking good John!

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    First fire in the shop woodstove this past weekend. Didn't take long to heat the place up. Still got lots of organizing and cleaning to do before I get to building. Slowly sorting through the rest of the boxes of stuff left behind by the previous owner. What a hoarder...!

20191011_073955.jpg

guitarbuilder and RogerC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.