First Post - Strings and Things Custom

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JCreasy, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JCreasy

JCreasy TDPRI Member

Hey Kids,

I've been reading here awhile and recently joined. Here is my first inquiry.

I have an early '80's Strings and Things Custom. Basically, a Tele set up in a Les Paul shape. Great little guitar. I actually have three but this one has been completely bastardized with unknown pick-ups and sloppy soldering. I am thinking this is the perfect opportunity to rejuvenate with a proper Tele set up.

I play progressive rock and a little jangle, but it would be fun get a real glassy tone out of it too. Anything from Springsteen to Pretenders to some Country tones and 90's college rock like Teenage Fan Club and Hoodoo Guru's. I am looking for the best all around custom pick-up and filters for that.

My thoughts are that I should look to either the No-Caster set-up or the early 50's set-up. I know everyone has personal tastes and opinions, but any thoughts? Also, any particular manufacturer? (I've seen some folks sell a package/kit with all the bits and pieces down to the pots and Switchcraft).

I play through nice amps and have an ear for tone, but I am by no means a professional musician, so I don't need to spend a gajillion bucks on a parts caster... I also don't want to put cheap stuff in there that snap, crackle and pops.

Thanks in advance for any input,

JKC

Michael A. likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Howdy from Fort Worth!

Can you post a picture of your S&T Custom?

nojazzhere and Rev Rhythm like this.
  4. JCreasy

JCreasy TDPRI Member

Sure. I will take PICs tonight and then post tomorrow. I have two and then an early St. Blues. ('84).

5. JCreasy

JCreasy TDPRI Member

Here they are. The Tobacco Burst has original pick-ups. The two Honey Burst do not. One of those is the one I want to load up with Tele pick-ups and wiring.

Attached Files:

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I remember when those came out; such cool guitars.

Sorry, no help on the pickups/wiring, but it sounds like a good idea to get a good Tele set and straight wiring. Maybe switch to a 3-saddle bridge as well.

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi, welcome. Great looking guitars. Am sure you'll get lots of input on your questions. Meantime try searching on this forum for Cavalier pickups. The gentlemen who winds them is a member here and his pickups are very well thought of around here.

8. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Hey Y'all - Welcome

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Very cool guitars and good to see them posted here!

I've got a St. Blues Strat variant from the same period called an Eliminator, after the ZZT album. It used a Tele pickup in the neck, but my pickup may not be original.

IMG_20190303_103541850.jpg St. Blues 002.jpg St. Blues 011.jpg St. Blues 006.jpg IMG_20190303_123622651.jpg IMG_20190303_123659746.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. Michael A.

Deleted, should have read the original post more closely.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitars. They remind me more of the Nighthawk than the LP.
    Welcome, and have a nice trip inside the rabbit hole :rolleyes:

12. JCreasy

JCreasy TDPRI Member

EsquireBoy... You are right about the Nighthawk shape. Plus, it is a Fender scale (like the Nighthawks). You are right, this will be a rabbit hole with lots of opinions, but you guys know Tele better than I do and happy to sift through everyone's opinions/thoughts rather than take a shot in the dark.

MichaelA... Cool Eliminator. Yours must be a very early one because it has the Strings and Things neck plate. My two Strings and Things have that as well. My St. Blues (that I bought in the Fall of '84) just has a number stamped into it and I later saw one with the St. Blues logo etched into it.

Greggorio... Thanks for heads up. I will dig around about the Cavalier pick-ups.

Michael A. likes this.
  13. Michael A.

From what I've been told, there were 6 Eliminators made in this color, 5 sold after one being commissioned for Billy Gibbons when making the album of the same name. A guy in NC not far from me has one, a guy out west has 3 that are found with a Google search, and mine, accounting for all 6 of them.

Here's another S&T thread that may be of interest.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/nogd-strings-and-things-in-memphis.666952/

14. JCreasy

JCreasy TDPRI Member

Thanks for the link. Will read it

Did not know about the ZZ Top connection, but that puts your guitar around '83, which, again supports my theory that it was an early one.

JKC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.