First post: New 65 Princeton Reverb - opinions needed on fix!

MCRyan1972

TDPRI Member
Hey everyone! First post on the forum. I bought a brand new 65 Princeton Reverd and I've had this amp for a little over a month now. Love it. I noticed that with single coils or humbuckers, I was starting to hear a "buzzing" sound on the 6th string around the 4th/5th fret. This was happening with the volume at 4ish. After tightening everything down, I was still hearing it, but would sense some relief on the buzz if I pushed the back of the speaker housing. After calling Fender Customer Service, and talking to the shop that would have my amp for warranty work (3-4 week turn around time , I decided to take a stab at fixing it myself. I ended up buying a sheet of thin cork from Hobby Lobby and cutting a donut shape to fit between the speaker baffle and the speaker trim. Voila', fixed, no rattle. I must say that the thin piece of foam (more like tape) that was on the factory Jensen speaker was weak at best. It was more like sticky tape to hold the speaker in place. Crappy shortcut IMHO.

Anyway, it’s a PITA to have to fix something new, but nice to add a little extra padding for a more secure fit. Also, the addition of the cork does not void the warranty in any way. I was sure to ask Fender and the service center. Question: can you over tighten the speaker bolts? I don’t want to crack/split the speaker baffle. Seems like you have to crank these down though. Thanks for reading and any feedback is appareciated!

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I've had similar buzzing - it can be speaker rattle, or cabinet rattle, or power tube rattle, or something in the house rattle - it gets maddening sometimes.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
You absolutely can over-tighten a speaker mount and that will cause all kinds of problems.

Like most fastener bolts, I tighten by hand until snug and then add a quarter turn.....no more.

dan40

Friend of Leo's
Yep...very easy to bend and distort the speaker frame which will also cause weird noises from the speaker. Tighten them in an x-pattern, alternating back and forth until they are snugged up lightly. From that point you only want to go about 1/4 turn each as the fellas mentioned above.

MCRyan1972

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. It is maddening. I’ve went past the “finger tight”threshold. The buzz was certainly coming from the speaker humming up against the baffle. As I tightened it, the buzz went away. I hope I haven’t sacrificed the integrity of the baffle/speaker. I still wonder why there isn’t any sort of gasket between the two surfaces to begin with? As long as the it sounds right, I think I’m okay. Thanks again everyone!

MCRyan1972

TDPRI Member
Just a follow up. The buzz continued. So, I ended up exchanging it for a brand new one. Otherwise, the local authorized service center for Fender would have had my amp for 3-4 weeks before they could even look at it. AMS is fantastic to deal with BTW…. The new Princeton does not appear to have any buzzing, but check this out: the reverb sounded “distorted”. So, I undid the Velcro to inspect the reverb tank. One of the two springs was disconnected in the middle and just laying there. This isn’t something that just comes loose/snaps apart. Easy fix though. Is QC asleep at Fender? I hate to sound negative b/c I love Fender, have multiple amps/guitars from them, but gee whiz! For the kinda coin it costs, I’m just a little suprised with my experience. “Made/assembled in the USA” was a big selling point that attracted me to this amp; along with its pedigree and reputation. I’m still in love with the amp though. Okay, rant over.

JayDee

Tele-Holic
Is QC asleep at Fender? I hate to sound negative b/c I love Fender, have multiple amps/guitars from them, but gee whiz! For the kinda coin it costs, I’m just a little suprised with my experience. “Made/assembled in the USA” was a big selling point that attracted me to this amp; along with its pedigree and reputation. I’m still in love with the amp though. Okay, rant over.
Yes, QC definitely seems to be asleep in regard to their amps lately. I've found it to be normal for the chassis screws, speaker screws, etc. to be loose.

MCRyan1972

TDPRI Member
JayDee, apparently… I removed the first amp’s reverb tank from the bag to inspect it and it wasn’t seated on its posts. It was misaligned. With the second one having a spring disconnected, I have to question if anyone is inspecting at all. Still love the amp and Fender.