1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First post in a while - Headless Walnut SG made from 50+ year old wood.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by guitargumption, Apr 12, 2021.

1. guitargumption

guitargumption TDPRI Member

I thought this would be a fun project to post here. I used to mostly post on the MIMF but it seems pretty dead over there these days unfortunately.

My dad recently found this old piece of walnut (guessing english walnut) in my Grandpa's garage that based on timing has to have been sitting in there for around 50 years seasoning. I spent a few months deciding what to do with it and finally decided that an SG is perfect. It's pretty dense, so the thin body of the SG helps with weight. And I have this unique set of headless tuning hardware from when I helped beta test it for Rick Toone that needed a home. Since SG guitars are often known to be neck heavy, having this massive block of tuners at the bottom helps balance things out, especially since the head piece is fairly light.

I wanted to add some spice to the look, so I went with this bright paduak neck, and I had a pau ferro fretboard blank hanging around. I think it's looking well tied together with the cream binding.

To go along with the black hardware I decided to use black MOP for the inlays, I think it will look pretty cool.

It's a fender scale length of 25.5, with 24 frets, so I enlarged the body 2% to go along with the larger scale length.

I'm also winding the pickups on this one. I've done single coils before with great success, but this is my first time winding humbuckers. It's a bit harder, but not too bad.

Thanks for looking! I'm happy to answer questions or comments. IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0618 (1).jpg IMG_0786.jpg

Attached Files:

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

That looks stunning, but why do you have a peghead if it will be headless?

drmordo likes this.
  3. guitargumption

Thanks!

I'll have to take a picture of the headpiece. It does require a small headstock to attach. But I plan to make a fairly traditional looking headstock anyway just because I like the way it looks vs the abbreviated head of typical headless. I guess the proper description would be "head-tunerless"? Haha.

drf64 likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

That will be great. Looking forward to the progress.

guitargumption likes this.
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

That's an nice long tenon, sweet!

6. guitargumption

Thanks! It's actually my first gibson style neck joint in many years of guitar building. I never felt the need to do one before, but it was actually quite fun. The Japanese pull saw was key!

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

You got talent my friend! Can’t wait to see the finished product. Wind a P90 for the neck pickup!! Lovely hunk of wood, you aren’t going to paint over it are you?

8. guitargumption

I appreciate the comment. It's just practice and having the right tools. I'll keep posting as things progress (slow with a 16 month old around!).

I already wound the neck humbucker, but I like where your head is at. I do like P90s in the neck. The one I wound already comes in at about 8.2k with A5 magnet. Tested in one of my old guitars it sounds great! So I think I'll be sticking with that. Cheers.

Dan

9. guitargumption

Oh, you are correct, I will not be painting over the wood! I plan to use Tru-Oil, my old favorite. It will of course end up being much darker once that happens, which will look much better I think.

10. guitargumption

A bit of progress to show on the heel joint, the FB has been sanded to 1000 grit and is ready for frets, and a shot of the first coil of the bridge humbucker. It took the whole bobbin filled up to get up to about 4.6k. The other coil will be closer to 4.0k, to get about 8.6k, and I will have coil split option to choose the 4.6k coil. IMG_0793.jpg IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0795.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.