First Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by MerleSwaggard, Apr 20, 2019.

1. MerleSwaggard

MerleSwaggard TDPRI Member

Currently building my first pedalboard, mainly focused on modern worship. Need some help with the basic pedals I need and what specific models to look at. Here's what I have currently.

Guitar: Fender American Special Telecaster

Amp: Fender Blues Jr.

Pedalboard: Pedaltrain Metro 16

Pedals:
    Polytune 2 Mini
    Joyo Vintage Overdrive

I know I need a reverb and a delay. I'm planning on getting the Matthews Effects Astronomer for my reverb since it has shimmer as well. I want a delay that at least has tap tempo, but I'm not sure what models I should be looking at. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to be somewhat frugal in my pedal choices (so no Strymon), but I also want pedals that are high-quality and reliable.

tl:dr: Help.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

MXR carbon copy is my go to analog delay pedal.
    There is a version that has tap tempo.

Don't go crazy spending money.
    The congregation won't know the difference.
    It's about showing up with a heart for service.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. MerleSwaggard

MerleSwaggard TDPRI Member

I'll check out the Carbon Copy.

Definitely not looking to go crazy. Just want a tone that I'm happy with, and a board that gets me where I need to go. I mostly lead with an acoustic, but I also play electric. Just want a nice little pedalboard that sounds good and covers the tonal ground for modern worship.

4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’d recommend picking up a used M9 or even a new one if you can find one. For delays it’s awesome, plus you get a looper and tons of other worthwhile effects.

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Most used pedals for contemporary worship (my not quite humble opinion):

OD, Distortion, Reverb (with shimmer, and maybe also chorus or other modulation), and Delay. Add a clean boost if you're playing leads, fills, etc.

Sounds like you've about got it. I'd suggest adding a Rat-style or a Klon clone pedal.

If you'll be using shimmer a lot (lots of worship music does these days) I'd suggest adding another pedal with a shimmer sound. My favorite is called The Wash. I don't own one but a friend does and it sounds great. I think it's pricey.

I like to have an envelope follower or phase shifter for stuff with a funky feel, and trem for older gospel style songs. For that matter, trem for almost everything. That's personal preference. I think you could get along without them.

Good luck. And happy Easter!

6. islander

islander Tele-Meister

The beauty of where you are at, you can just experiment without needing to be brand loyal. Videos can help, but I wouldn't get caught up in what other people are necessarily doing with them.
    I say, scour the used market in your area for deals, try them, if they work for you , keep them. If you can't make them work in your set up, to your ears, let them go.
    Boss OD's are a budget friendly used pedal too. some great deals can be found on BD2, SD1, OD3, all could work for you.
    You will always find me pointing out the older TC gear, cause I love it and it just works. The Nova delay, the repeater, even the newer flashback line. Great delays that can be had for cheap on the used market as guys go up.
    For that matter, experimenting with something like the boss MS3 switcher might be a nice option. Compact, budget friendly and options. I'm not familiar with all the line 6 options, but their floor units would be a great starting point. Remember, starting out, it's totally fine to switch gear like socks. I personally dont subscribe to that, but, it's a great model to find stuff that works for your ears

7. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Check out the Nemesis Delay. It has a ton of delay models and it can be as simple or in depth as you want it to be. You can also save up to 8 pre-sets into the pedal and more with a controller or the software.

8. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

What are you gonna do to hold everything together and power it? That's the fun part.

9. asatattack

asatattack TDPRI Member

I would highly recommend anything from TC Electronic.

dombar335 likes this.
  10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Nice rig you put together for starting out! For delay I started out with a TC Flashback. I has a number of presets ready to go on a rotary dial, even reverse delay. It's a good starting point to get your feet wet with delay. And of course, there is the land of toneprints to explore. One thing I really like about it is that you "tap" in a tempo by dry strumming the strings rather than toe tapping, much more accurate than my fumble feet. Ultimately, I wanted more clarity and spaciousness and finally got an el Capistan. For ambient stuff and pads it's hard to beat and simple to use compared to a Timeline. I also use a TC Hall of Fame II reverb. It has beautiful, clear reverbs and can go deeply lush. It has shimmer but I never really use it. There's a nice plate reverb that puts an extra dimension on drives. One other pedal I use a lot besides a compressor is a real light chorus. The neck pickup up on a tele through a mild chorus puts a nice warble on slower tunes.

11. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Flashbacks are nice. I'd suggest the newer version because you can add an external tap tempo. Because eventually you'll get tired of the audio tapping that isn't very practical in the middle of worship.

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest a Boss DD-7. First, because it's a Boss and you gotta go through the Boss experience like everyone else (they are awesome pedals). And second, it's got a "Hold" feature that allows you to loop 40 seconds of sound. So it's a digital delay pedal, a passable imitation of an analogue delay pedal, and it's a loop pedal. The "hold" feature is really great for practicing guitar parts by yourself. You can play chords through a passage, then find stuff to play over that, then take those ideas to the full band and try them out with bass, rhythm guitar and drums.

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

As I'm looking at this, it appears that the TC Electronics Flashback also has a looper option. Nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.