1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Johnkir64, Dec 9, 2018.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you are playing modern country the first pedals I would suggest in order of usage (based only on my experience, and this assumes you use something along the lines of a clean Fender tube amp) are these:

1. a light OD (one that has some mids on tap for live mix) there is an infinite sea of choices but a few to mention that are popular with country players are TS808/TS-9, Nobels ODR-1, Route 66,...etc.

2. A simple boost into your OD like an Xotics EP boost. A good compressor can fill this slot as well and you can use it for your clean sound too.. if you play loud on stage, go with the boost as you are already compressing, if you play at low volumes I would go with the compressor.

3. Space=Verb/Delay TC HOF mini, TC Flashback are great.

4. Wobbly stuff= Tremolo/chorus etc..

Rabbit hole warning applies....

2. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Your first pedal should be a chromatic tuner....every time. Say goodbye to those clip-on tuners and if you're using your phone you're wrong.

Look on Reverb for Boss, Korg, TC Electronics, etc.

3. Art VanDelay

Your first pedal should be a chromatic tuner....every time. Say goodbye to those clip-on tuners and if you're using your phone you're wrong.

Look on Reverb for Boss, Korg, TC Electronics, etc.

4. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I'm curious why you don't like the clip on tuners. They seem to be perfect for home hobbyists.

5. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have a TU3 on my big board. No room for one on the small board so I bought a TC Polytune Clip and LOVE IT. It's really all the stage tuner I need.

OldGuy6873 likes this.
  6. Art VanDelay

I guess you're right. I use clip-ons for my acoustic. I got a Korg DT-10 many years ago and refuse to go back. 1st world problems?

7. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Whatever you do don’t get a compressor for your first pedal.... you will be sorely disappointed. Delay, chorus or phaser. Tc flashback has chorusy and vibrato sounds and more so it could add a lot of fun and variation

Iago likes this.
  8. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Beyond the obvious tuner suggestions, a basic multifex unit would allow learning about 1) individual effects, what you like, and how to integrate it into your playing, and 2) then learn about building a signal chain. Seems the most practical and efficient starting point to me. Buy used, and get almost all your money back when ready to flip for individual pedals.

9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Valeton Dapper Mini, which includes:

Delay
    Chorus
    Overdrive
    Distortion
    Tuner

...a small footprint, for a small price.

IMHO, this little box provides a wonderful platform for exploring those nuances in sound that make music come alive!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you're just learning I agree with the learning based ones:

- Tuner
    - Looper (Ditto is < $100)
    - Beat Buddy or other rhythm/metronome pedal

It took me almost 2 years of lessons to be "in time" enough to start using the looper well, so I'd maybe go for the rhythm type pedal like the Beat Buddy first.

Using something like a Beat Buddy regularly will help you get your sense of time down to the point it'll get easier to use the looper. It makes it a lot more fun to practice too.

Also when you start getting other effects it's really nice to have a looper so you can play something into the looper then leave it playing and adjust your other effects to learn how they work. I actually have 2 dittos for this purpose so I can temporarily throw the extra one in the very front of all my FX. (I take the 2nd ditto with me when travelling, etc..)

My amp doesn't have any FX, so reverb was actually my first pedal. I waited quite a while to get a tuner pedal as I had a clip on. But some clip ons really don't work well.

Iago likes this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

If your amp doesn't have reverb, get that.

If it does, get a Tube Screamer.

Those are the two fundamental buiding-block effects electric players turn to most often.

BUT:

It depends on how you feel about multi-effect pedals. Some folks like having a lot of choices in one unit. Others feel that multi-effect pedals either are too complicated or don't do a good job of emulating the sounds they've packaged.

Again, my advice: reverb first if you don't have it, Tube Screamer if you do.

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

For country, one of these in this video. Great country slapback effect at 2:15!
    Boss CS-3 Compressor
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
    Boss OD-3 Overdrive

13. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

These are all good suggestions. My biggest recommendation is get something you can resell or trade out and not lose a lot of money. You're unlikely to experience love at first sight, but a tubescreamer or the like will be something you can trade out for another pedal of equal value. In a few months you could've tried out a good range of pedals through trades and landed on something you really like.

14. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

I would go with a multi effect unit. I have a Digitech RP350 and I love it, actually burned through 3 in the last 20 tears. It has about 140 patches although I really use about 10. Got it set up starting at acoustic, super clean, jazz, twin and .....shred. It gives you believable sound at super low volume. You can also mix up your own patches, I came up with a pretty cool keyboard that I use a lot. $200 well worth it

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ring mod or auto wah

radiocaster likes this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It depends entirely on what you want to sound like. For standard rock/blues, something like a Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) is very versatile.
    It also depends on how much money you want to spend. Some of the suggestions here would cost hundreds of dollars.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Has anybody suggested flowers instead?
    If you've survived without any pedals so far, keep it up, history suggests that pedals are not satisfying and will lead to more shopping and less playing.

18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

BOSS GS-10

only available used, haven't been made in a decade. prettty much all the essential boss pedals in a single box that you can use as a practice amp (or preamp if your playing with a drummer)

upload_2018-12-17_10-20-27.jpeg

its got 100 or so presets, so you can start using it right away and then tweak them to you liking and save them as user presets (100 slots for user presets)

also works as a usb recording interface, has amp sims, and a nice univibe and delay if you want try some David Gilmour stuff.

set your wife back 100-150$ but a nice boutique pedal could easily run 3x that price.

some U2 and david gilmour sounds from this little monster.

19. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

If whoever will be using it has a mind for programming things(which isn't really very hard if you read the instructions), I'd get a cheap multi effect unit to be able to try several effects. If they won't program the unit, it's pretty useless to get one.

AND I'd find an effect from a song you like and might be inspired by, play along with or cover.

So my approach would be to get a cheap multi and a classic pedal.

Also, I agree if your amp doesn't have reverb, or it isn't the reverb you want(I want hall, spring, room reverbs, so what's in the amp isn't enough for me), I'd get that covered first.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  20. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you have a tube amp, a clean boost pedal is useful. A tuner is always useful. A looper is great for practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.