First Paisley Finish Attempt (Esquire Build)

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Potatocaster, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Potatocaster

Potatocaster TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking into creating a Paisley Esquire, and I was hoping to share my progress and ideas and see if I'm doing anything deeply unfortunate.

My plan is to order a Warmoth neck and body, unfinished. Stainless steel vintage frets and fatback carve, with standard Tele body.

I am building an amp for my 10th anniversary and have a good deal of extra fabric (upholstery fabric) in a paisley. I was thinking I could titebond II down the fabric, and then seal before adding a deep navy blue burst from the edges with paper lightly taped in center of body using spray can.

My big issue is I wanted to make sure upholstery fabric would work, and I was curious if I could brush on clear shellac as the sealer and then paint over and then shellac some more on the final coat. I've used wipe-on poly but I was thinking about the shellac as it is less toxic overall and I like having something with less fumes in the build.

Toss-up between doing a p90 bridge pickup, a humbucker, or winding my own single-coil pickup. Leaning into the winding option. I currently have one other tele that is rocking the Duncan broadcaster set.

Mincer likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Upholstery fabric might be a bit heavy. You might have a hard time getting enough clear over it to fill in the texture of the fabric.

(By 'upholstery fabric,' I'm thinking of the type of stuff they use on chairs and sofas.)

- D

Potatocaster likes this.
  3. Potatocaster

That's exactly what I've got--the thick stuff. Would opting for wrapping paper be more.manageable?

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I would think it would depend on how porous the fabric is.
    You could do a test run on a piece of plywood or 2x6 or something.

I would think paper would be easier to to clear coat, but les forgiving to glue down.

Potatocaster and StrangerNY like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Paper is easier than fabric. It's not too hard, just tedious, building up layers of finish.

Probably the best demo video is by Texas Toast channel. They updated with a new series on fabric top last year that is pretty good.

Paper or fabric will really be determined by what pattern you want.

This is my recent fabric top, with flamed maple binding.

[​IMG]

Jake Nelson and Potatocaster like this.
  6. Potatocaster

That is gorgeous. Anything wrong with shellac for all the layers? I've enjoyed rubbing boards with it more than poly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.