First noise complaint

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:08 PM.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Never played a Reeves, but I have played some old Hiwatts. Damn good sounding amps. And the 100 watter with the matching old 412's was absolutely deafening when cranked up. That is coming from someone who likes loud amps. That thing was overboard. I don't know how J. Mascis does his thing with all that power. Two Marshall stacks and a Hiwatt stack surrounding himself in close quarters.

2. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Back in the day my high school cover band played loud! Think Twin Reverb and a couple of K200 Kustoms into 4-15" each.
    One of the guys in the band lived on a ranch about seven miles outside of Corpus on the road to Kingsville. Think flat with humongous fields. It was pure bliss not having to move gear to a new place every practice.
    His dad fixed up and rewired an old house on his property for us to use as a permanent practice facility.
    You could hear us miles down the road where the local drag racers would come to compete. (Fun to watch the local hotshots race.)
    In the late '60s many bands played loud-loud-loud.

Mark

3bolt79 and CapnCrunch like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I make sure to orient speakers toward the empty lot and empty house after it on the east side of my house. The neighbor on the west sides house is only 12' away from mine. They haven't complained yet.

My band in 2007 got drive by and walk by requests. One accused us of getting "that one whites stripes song" stuck in her head and wanted us to play it to fix that. We practiced in my dads garage in a residential neighborhood. I ran my fender 75.

Only one guy ever complained about noise, we basically told him where he could stick his opinions. We never seen him before or since, think he was just driving by.

I vaguely recall a drunk guy on a 4 wheeler saying something about needing to "keep practicing ". That was enlightenin ;)

When we lived in a town house, I only played the 75 when the neighbors we talked to were at work, and just college kids were home. Played the Bugera dimed on 5w next to thier wall in the morning if they woke my kids up playing video games the night before.

Now I play the Bugera dimed wherever and dont think about it. I would have to be responsible if I pushed the 75 ever, or the Supro at night. My wife thinks I want new windows to save on heating bills, I researched who had the best sound blocking rated windows in central Ohio, so I can switch my 75 off of low power mode again.....

3bolt79 and Jlwctn like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Please 78 dsl.jpg

3bolt79 and Frodebro like this.
  5. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

In the summer I will sometimes drag the gear outside to the garage and we will have a rehearsal outside with the door open. I have the neighbors applauding and people from 3 blocks away walking over to see where the band is playing. Everyone loves it!

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I, too, played a Super Reverb all through high school and college.....and I played it EVERYWHERE. Outdoor gigs, convention center arenas and exhibit halls, you name it......it was plenty loud.
    Nowadays, the only "biggish" amp I have left is my Sovtek Mig 50......and it is LOUD. But for gigging now, I just use a 15 watt Vox, either one with one 12" speaker or another with four 8"'s. I guess I could use both if I needed to, but I really don't want to be any louder than that. (and BTW.....I play pretty "clean")

3bolt79 and brookdalebill like this.
  7. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

My current home practice amp is a Princeton Reverb. Although it’s easy enough to set a comfortable room volume, that’s sometimes a bit too loud for MatchlessWoman while she’s watching TV downstairs. My practice room has no party walls to neighbours but I’m still pleasantly surprised that no-one in the next house has ever complained on those occasions when I’ve got carried away with the volume. When I need to I can use a headphone setup.

It’s not about the watts by the way - I have a home-built amp that puts out less than a watt and it’s still capable of being obnoxiously loud!

Dan R, nojazzhere and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. cenz

cenz TDPRI Member

Marshall Code25. Not a bedroom amp. Or a living room amp. Or an enclosed space amp.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Heck, I have an Epiphone Valve JR that I played through a 2x12 Avatar cabinet. No one was home, but my wife came in the door complaining how loud it was outside. No neighbors ever complained, just my family. Guess that destroys the idea of a garage band....

nojazzhere and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

That is true mostly. I have been from 100 watts to 5 watts, various tube amps. 100 watts through a 412 is pushing everything loud, where your neighbors definitely will complain. I'm surprised it took this long for one of my neighbors to complain with a 50 watter, and I think they have just been being overly polite about it, in hindsight. 50 watts through a 412 is still just about as loud as a 100 watter but with considerably less headroom. Dropping down to ~20 watts, no neighbors are likely going to complain when playing the thing in your house, because it just isn't moving as much low end. It's still loud in the mids, but doesn't have the same amount of low end grunt that will carry as far. Playing it cranked indoors still isn't going to make the family happy though, unless they are musicians too. 5 watts cranked will likely still be annoyingly loud to family in the same house, unless your playing space is well separated from the rest of the house, but it's not going to shake the walls and make everyone in the house lose their minds, ending up killing you. :D

In an apartment, forget any of it. Someone is likely going to complain if you crank up any amp.

Someone should probably explain to me why I'm still trying to find the best quad of modern production greenback type speakers for a 412 for the money. I got it boiled down to the Weber 1225's, the Reissue's, and the Mojotone BV-25M's. Maybe I should just get one of each and a Heritage greenback. The volume thing just isn't registering with the logical side of my brain.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

My Mesa mark v 25 is plenty loud on its 10 watt setting. The neighbors have said it sounds like I’m in their living room. So Imcant really crank it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. bftfender

Think that quote was from MatchlessMan ^^..dont think i have anything under 15 these days.
    I am forced into the house due to full time caretaker role..built studio in my Master out of necessity to be able to play. I have come down in volume considerably last few years..but i do crank the 4 holers , DSL's up about once a week...kinda in the middle of day..look outside see who is not home..let it rip for about an hour..nothing like it huh..but back to reality..Supro Black Magick-PV Classic Blues- lil Superchamp XD-Bug V22..they just record so well & get them to break pretty quick..built an ISO room for recording..that really made the dif..whatever the amps need to be at for the sound. Mic placement has been the new game..did a reasonable level rhythm track today..pretty low in comparison to the norm. 1 inch here or there with a mic sure does make a big dif in capturing
    Hope XD set (2).jpg

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Crap. That seems to happen too often on this forum for some reason. Something with the forum software configuration that makes it easy to do.

14. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Princeton Reverb here. It suits me fine.

I had a Music Man RD-50 that I bought new in the early 80's. I had that one for decades but sold it a few years ago. Built like a tank, 50 watts with a ten inch speaker. That little amp would crank. It was shockingly loud for a small amp.

15. bftfender

Sometimes it grabs a few even at at a time. I look at my post & go what did i just do !

16. JamesPaul

JamesPaul Tele-Meister

Nah. If the police can hear and understand your neighbor when they call to complain, you are not playing loud enough! :lol:

17. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I guess I'm a wuss. I *never* crank any of my amps in my apartment, as much as I would like to.

Some of it is out of consideration, and some of it is because I don't want anyone else to hear how badly I play!

stevemc likes this.
  18. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

I don't tend to play loud in the house much. Once a neighbour came to me and said, "I heard you playing yesterday", I thought ok here we go, "it sounded really good". They were talking about one of my Grade 3 students.

Oh well..:(

19. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember my first noise complaint. It was 45 years ago. It involved the police. Glory days!

20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My noise complaints come from upstairs. When my wife slams the bedroom door I know I can open 'er up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.