1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First "new" tool since the fire.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BobbyZ, Nov 27, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My dad gave me an old Weller gun that belonged to an uncle several years ago. At first I thought I'd never use it because you're "supposed to use irons, not guns" for this crap. Ended up using it all the time! Tonight I asked dad if he had any more soldering tools and sure as heck he had this old Montgomery Wards, made by Weller back when Weller still made good guns.
    Next thing I need is a replacement for "Big Bertha" the old 200 watt iron that made cap cans and chassis grounds fun, instead of an exercise in futility. 20201127_180616.jpg 20201127_180531.jpg

2. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Good Bobby! Looks just like one my dad used for years - back in 60s and 70s. I'll bet my mom still knows where it is - will have to ask....

Hope you are getting to some new state of "normal" after such a traumatic experience.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

I have a few soldering guns from my dad too. I have never used them because they just seem unwieldy, especially considering that sometimes this stuff feels delicate as brain surgery.

Have you found this not to be the case? I should have already tried playing with them, but haven’t got around to it yet...

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

I like guns for a few reasons, one they warm right up, pull the trigger and in a couple seconds you're soldering, I'm impatient. The lights kinda nice too.
    The thing I like most is if I forgot to unplug after soldering it's no problem, only gets hot when you squeeze the trigger. Forget to unplug an iron and you could cause a fire.
    Those sorta suck. :)

Tomorrow I'm going to grab the 64 Princeton Reverb. Tubes didn't melt in that one so maybe it won't be toooooo bad. We'll see.
    I'll start a thread on the restoration but needless to say it could take some time.
    Hell of a time for Classic Tone to stop making transformers!

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Guns are great (I use one), but keep it away from pickups because it can kill the magnets...the onboard transformer is the same concept used in high-power degaussers.

cbnutt, Wally and BobbyZ like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn, looks hardly used!
    Those have been on all my guitar fixin benches since 1980, work till the bakelite gets broken too many times.
    Any of the old poisonous solder with it?
    Mine is running out!

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

No no solder. Gotta pick some up, hopefully I can still get the good old poisonous stuff.
    Although the way this year's been going, who knows? But if they have it at the two places that normally do in town, I'm buying all of it!
    Them other fools can buy the toilet paper. :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

Went looking for a replacement Big Bertha, my old 200 watt cap can and chassis ground iron yesterday. Antique store in town had two at $6.50 a pop, grabbed both, Bertha was 5 bucks at the same place. Honestly wasn't expecting to find one that fast, two was a bonus. Once you've used a bigass iron for cans and grounds nothing else will do. 20201129_101454.jpg

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've got one or two Weller guns, hate the things.

10. BobbyZ

Nothing wrong with that. If I'm doing a lot of soldering an iron is nicer, like putting a whole board together. I still need to find some small irons, had an old Tandy 40 ish watter I really liked. Might even try a soldering station some day.
    An article about Weller, how he went from radio repair to manufacturing tools.
    https://stevenjohnson.com/soldering/soldering-weller-1963.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.