1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Mod Failure....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lutherd672, Jan 15, 2021.

1. lutherd672

lutherd672 TDPRI Member

So my first attempt at a mod, of course I screwed it up. Tried to mod my Boss SD-1. I removed the c-6 and was gonna do the 808 mod but never got around to it. However, I did try to replace the LED. Now, the LED nor the pedal will turn on.

did I short something? If so, any ideas where to start troubleshooting would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It’s likely one of the wires broke off the PC board as you were taking it in and out. They don’t hold up well to repeated flexing. Look for that first.

lutherd672 and codamedia like this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Rule #1 when doing mods.... always test the pedal after every change so you know which change killed the pedal. That doesn't require full assembly each time... just a quick test with the case open and board lifted.

Did it stop working after the LED change? If so, that's where you start to look.
    An LED will not come on if it is installed in reverse... but that shouldn't stop the effect from coming on.

As stated above.... look for a wire or ribbon wire that might of broken off.

Stillhouse likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

No turn on = no power. Start at the power source and trace to find the open

lutherd672 and CCK1 like this.
  5. lutherd672

lutherd672 TDPRI Member

That’s exactly what happened! When it popped off I soldered it back to the wrong place. After reviewing schematic I figured it out. LED was in backwards as well. All is well now. Surprised it still works after all the poor tinkering I did. Thanks for all the responses!

Engine Swap likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.