1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Mix Post

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by t-ray, Sep 17, 2015.

1. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks! This is better than a free online course. ;-)

2. t-ray

Revised Again - New Bass Notes

I have posted another revision.
    Woodman, took your advice regarding the tonic notes and I think it is an improvement. I also found it so incredibly easy to move those notes around on the piano roll, or whatever you call it. I think this is starting to be really fun.
    Ecadad, I brought the bass volume up a bit, but might have overdone it. Would like your thoughts on the level, if you have a few minutes to spare.
    I think I am close to done on this one, but final thoughts are welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/tele-ray/little-black-submarines-v7

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Yep, you're closing in on it alright. ... Your bass part on the verse: You might try D sharp for your third note in your sequence, instead of holding the G sharp. So the line would look like this:
    A#m G# D# A#m
    I can hear where you cleaned up a similar glitch on the chorus. ... Bass volume sounds fine from here.

:idea: Man, once the MIDI light bulb comes on, your possibilities are infinite. Keep swinging the hammer!

4. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is a fascinating thread and a great lesson in 'mixology' from woodman, who is always generous with his constructive advice!
    One tip you might find interesting is to periodically go back and listen to your very first mix...
    In your case this was a terrific start, so it helps to remind yourself of those qualities that you liked and make sure they are still there - or better still, enhanced!

5. t-ray

Brilliant advice. I will do that now and remember to do so in the future! This was an enormous learning experience for me, and am anxious to get started on another project. And I agree about your praise of Woodman. I have been reading his posts since I joined this club - and have surreptitiously saved some of his advice for future reference. Also, thanks to you and Ecadad for your ears and comments.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

t-ray, I have no recording skills to speak of but I really enjoyed listening to this mix evolve. I agree that the bass might sound better on that third chord change if it followed on down to the D#... but I was kind of intrigued to hear it the way you did it.

Most of all, and I checked twice...why has there been no comment on the spectacular vocal on this song? I'm not talking about the recording. That voice is solid mystique! Get that girl a band and a label! LOL! She seems to do this effortlessly and with no hint of running off pitch. Mesmerizingly seductive...Could you please have her do more?

7. t-ray

Thanks for your comments, Mr. Tele. This was a huge learning experience for me. Can't wait to get started on another.
    My daughter, Kate, has developed her voice simply by picking up the guitar and strumming and singing her favorite songs over the past 7 years, or so. I think she has a gift but she sort of rolls her eyes when I say so. LOL. She's only 20 and I would love for her to get just a little voice coaching and maybe step this up to a genuine hobby (I am not aiming for the stars here, just a little increase in intensity). We'll see. I really appreciate your comment, and I plan to share it with her.

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Just found this thread as I'm starting down the recording path myself after my Christmas present of a Tascam DP24SD digital Portable Studio.

All I can say is, WOW what a great thread to follow, read, and learn from!!! t-ray, NICE NICE JOB!!!!!!
    And the advice giver's,,,,,,WOW,,,great guidance and knowledge.

This place never ceases to amaze me!

Keep it up All!!! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.