First mix, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ponce, Sep 21, 2019.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Years ago I used to tinker with recording guitar in Audacity but that was about it. About a year ago I got that bug again so I started reading stuff about home recording and mixing.

This month I got myself a minimalistic setup consisting of the Focusrite audio interface, headphones, a condenser mic and a midi controller.

My keyboard knowledge is not even basic and the Reaper daw was intimidating at first, but it was so much fun I roughly composed and mixed a piece out of that initial experimentation.

I didn't have any plans for the tune, stylistically, it just came out that way. I got carried away with synth sounds so there's almost no space left now for my primary instrument, a guitar.:lol:

I like to think it's influenced by Led Zeppelin songs 'All my love' and 'I'm gonna crawl' but that's probably too far fetched, since there's other stuff in it too.
    Maybe you can order the genre. For me it's dramatically cheezy in a fun way. I imagine Plants vocals like in 'Big log'.

Feel free to comment and advise me on composition, arrangement and mixing.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-126307129/pionir

57fenderstrat and studio like this.
  2. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Really nice! No comments on mix or dynamics at this point. Just listened through my ear buds. I am not hearing much low-end, but that could be on my end. And throw some vocals on there!

ponce likes this.
  3. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Nice work! I enjoyed it!

Not a style that I usually gravitate to, so I can't address composition or arranging, but I did notice that the bass end of the mix was lacking. Dynamics were good so it wasn't glaringly obvious, but I would boost the bass in a narrow band starting at around 50hz. Try to make it focused with some punch, and take care to not let it get too muddy by boosting too broad a frequency range.

ponce likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Wow, great start. Drums are the hardest for me because I don't know much about the technical details of cool beats, but you have got a decent groove with some surprises in there. And after about a minute the chord progression did start to suggest some kinda mothers day brunch crooning, if such a thing exists...

I could see some guitars coming in, surrounding, building, up, crashing through, leaving the whole thing in ruins, until... something else happened.... forgive me, I think I need to do something on the DAW today.

ponce likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Cool. Kind of reminds me of a John Carpenter soundtrack. Head deeper into the rabbit hole. Have fun.

ponce likes this.
  6. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Drum part needs some more diversity and refinement. It's actually not much altered loop from the EZ Drummer.

I suppose also these headphones are not so accurate as some proper studio monitors which I don't have yet.

And I have to think of some good guitar parts for it. Vocals gonna be the hardest part.:eek::D

7. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

That's a great snare sound, nasty as can be, but it's way out front and stays there, so by minute 4 it's getting hard on the ears. You could probably weave it in and out as your composition evolves. I understand this is a work in progress — keep swingin' the hammer!

fendrguitplayr and ponce like this.
  8. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Yeah, thanks, that's a great input. Drums need a little bit more variation and dynamic change. In general I'm here completely on a new ground, so I need every experienced advice.

I'm enjoying this very much. At first I thought I couldn't get to master the DAW and that I needed some simple tape recorder like Tascam, but Reaper with some plugins proved to be very inspiring and useful.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I guess there is such a thing...?

https://images.app.goo.gl/FYq18WavB7DPBack7

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  10. woodman

Hanging around this forum when I was just starting out really accelerated my progress. It's like looking in a lot of different mirrors and seeing new stuff every time. .... New ideas to try out, but you're not obligated to any of them if they don't work for you. The fact that you're starting simple and working your complexity outward is a constructive approach. For me, it's never worked to enforce complexity in the early going and getting the basic stuff to flow around that. Complexity should emerge naturally from solid, fundamental roots. At least that's my approach. It seems to make for a more "organic" product, one that evolves on its own rather than by enforced complexity. Let the material dictate the arrangement rather than forcing an arrangement on undeveloped material. ... OK, early morning philosophy lecture over! :D

ponce and suthol like this.
  11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

@woodman ,what was the name of the richard farina book that the gnossos quote comes from?i think i was 18 when i read that.blast from the past.

12. woodman

That was "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me" ... I read it in the hospital after I got medevac'd from Vietnam and it really made a mark on me! I found a paperback copy a few years ago and re-read it, but it was a better read then. I'd come home to a brand new world!

stevemc likes this.
  13. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

So, that's where the title of the Doors song comes from:rolleyes:

stevemc likes this.
  14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

It's all about Love.

I love the fact that you have a foundation for something,
    but please don't stop there. It's not complete. You can
    do wonders with the canvas you have created here!

There are beautiful examples of such tracks that turn
    into masterpieces:

woodman and ponce like this.
  15. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

You are recording more tracks right?

ponce likes this.
  16. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Yeah, I've added some subtle chimes and stuff in the intro, and recorded rhythm guitars. Tried a few solos in that empty bridge towards the end, but it changed the tune too much into prog/psychedelic direction so I abandoned it. Made a bass a bit stronger.

Your examples are very good, been listening to the Talking Heads a lot lately.

Here's a new version, probably not much difference yet.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-126307129/pionir

17. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I like it a lot , only listened on my phone though and will listen again later. It sounded like a cool dank 80’s movie. I like the chorus part with that big fat cmaj7th

ponce likes this.
  18. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Thanks, let's see where that's gonna end. Don't know if I should try any vocals with it. It'd work if I could transform into David Bowie.:D

57fenderstrat likes this.
  19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Yeah ! I don’t know a ton of Bowie songs but I thought of him when I heard it

ponce likes this.
  20. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Nice. Somebody above said it reminded them of John Carpenter movies, and I second that. Those synth lines are 80s bliss. You also got the drums and bass to sit nicely, which isn't so easy to do on a dense mix. So congrats.

I listened on a decent pair of headphones. My only point of criticism is that, listening on headphones at least, the synth lines are too big and brash. My guess is they are a bit too loud and have a bit too much treble. Maybe they have to be that way to convey the sense of motion they have going on, but it makes the mix sound cluttered. I don't hear the drums and bass the way I think I should. Could also be on monitors they sound different, but it doesn't translate so well to cans. I'd try to tone it down slightly to see if it could translate a bit better on headphones. After all, you can always go back if it doesn't work out.

ponce likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.