First Job, First Pay Packet.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by esseff, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Had a coupla paper routes when I was 12 and 13. Delivered maybe 100 papers on my bike in the neighborhood before or after school. Don't remember how much the pay was, definitely under $100 a month, but it was cool for a preteen/teen back in the day.

First "real job" was at age 15 the summer after my sophomore year of high school. I heard about a program called the "Neighborhood Youth Corps." And got a summer job at a public elementary school doing summer cleanup of the vacant classrooms. Another student from my high school and I would mop and wax the floors and other cleanup/renovation type work. My memory is pretty foggy, but I think we did some landscaping and minor repair work too like light carpentry. We worked 3 1/2 days or 28 hours a week for the 3 summer months and the pay was minimum wage, probably about $3. Instilled a good work ethic in me. Spent it all on guitars, cars and girls.:) Still do.;)

2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

autumn after hs graduation:
    Potato chip factory.

good job- team work. Good pay.

thelighterthief likes this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

14 years old, Freshman year. Cut grass and dug graves (by hand) at a cemetery. Bought a 78 Gibson 'The Paul' and a Ampeg ReverboRocket amp. Man I want them back.

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

$8.75/hr straight out of college. Bought an Acura Integra and maxed out my 401k. Retired at 46.

1guy and naveed211 like this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I actually made a decision between taking an exam for my recording tech program at Madison Media Institute or going to a job interview at a call center. I dropped out of MMI and took the job interview. Sixteen years later, I’m still working in the same industry and have worked my way up. I’ve worked at two good companies with great people and enjoy what I do. Ended up going back to school and getting my bachelor’s (in a different degree and school) about five years ago. It all worked out.

But, anyway, to answer the question, I started at $10/hr., which was the most I had made at that point in my life. I bought my dream guitar, an MJ Mirage Standard:
    8DDD2101-D3B9-40DA-AC4D-CCCA444C3384.jpeg
    Tastes change and I don’t have that one anymore, but I still rock MJ Guitars (my profile pic is one of his).

esseff likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I left school in 1975, got an engineering (toolmaker) apprenticeship, £16.83 in my first wage packet. Those were the longest five years of my life. By the time I'd finished, so was most engineering work in the city. So I went to college to study computing. At least back in those days student loans hadn't been thought of, we still got grants.

7. thelighterthief

thelighterthief TDPRI Member

I’ve worked since the weekend after my 13th birthday. Newspaper delivery. 85p for a Sunday round!

pubs, off licenses and cleaning jobs whilst at art college (all around £3 an hour).

when. I left college all that was available was factory work at £3.50 an hour so after a couple of months I buggered off to London to work in an office for £5.25 an hour.

I remember leaving one job for another over me wanting to be made permanent on £18k a year with holiday(this gave you just over £1000 a month)

sometime in my 30’s it all just clicked and I started earning my age in 000’s.

Guitars were relatively more expensive and much more poorly made at the cheaper end of the market. My first guitar in 1987 was a columbus plywood superstrat which was painted in sticky white paint cost £110 or around £300 adjusted for inflation. You can get a decent squier for that.

my first half decent guitar was a harmony that I paid £230 for which adjusted is roughly what I just paid for my tele.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was in high school, Shakey’s Pizza Parlor was a highly sought after place to work.
    They allowed their male employees to have long hair.
    That was very forward thinking for the time (1970-1975).
    I always liked the pizza there, too.
    My friends and I really took advantage of their all you can eat buffet.
    Great memories!

StoneH likes this.
  9. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

Dairy Queen $1.50 1975... a bag of you know what was only $25.00 so I was good. I worked on a farm part time before that. Made enough money to buy my first car 1967 Ford fairlane.

1guy and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

1985, sixteen years old. I worked at Baskin-Robbins and got $1.90 an hour (minimum wage was $2.30), because they said I was a "trainee." Turns out I was a "trainee" the entire time I worked there.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. 1guy

1guy Tele-Meister

I was just talking to my GF about Shakey's old commercials.

I STILL remember their jingle.

"We serve fun at Shakey's, also pizza"

12. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1965 it must have been... last year at grammar school as I had dropped out to take art & design at college instead...
    I was a little skinny kid of 17 so obviously I got a weekend job at Tesco's in the warehouse - the money was too little to remember.
    When the management found I was going to art school, they made me paint the ladies' toilets black as the grafitti was so appalling in there.
    Naturally the girls thought it was hilarious and took every chance they could to embarrass me. Eventually I saw the funny side of it too...

13. 1guy

1guy Tele-Meister

I guess I should fess up..

First job after I left college was a bunch of temp jobs, until a warehouse brought me on permanently...$6.75 hour.

Bought a Ford Maverick and a stereo, and lots of concert tickets. This was the early 80s.

14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

When I was 16 years old, I got a summer job as a dishwasher on weekends at an upscale restaurant. Hours were from 2 PM to 2 AM on Friday and Saturday. First two hours were spent cleaning the dining area before the restaurant opened for business. The last two hours were spent cleaning the kitchen after the restaurant closed. I made $1.25 per hour. It was steamy, grimy work for a bit of spending money, but it soon became apparent that since I never had any time on weekends to get out, socialize and meet girls I never had a chance to spend any of that money. Should have thought that one through before I took the gig. :(

15. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Before I could drive, I had a summer job working sheet metal and HVAC. When I turned 16, I had a paper route. When I was 17 (1973), I started playing weekends at local military clubs ($300 - $500 for a 4 - 5 piece band). After high school, we started touring and playing house gigs. I didn't have another job until I finished college and joined the USAF in 1983. It took me almost 8 years to get a 4-year degree, but my life turned out fine, and I wouldn't change a thing.

16. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Graduated in Texas in 1990 at 17. Went to North Carolina and worked in a furniture factory for four months making $5 an hour. Went back to Texas and wound up as a merchant seaman making $40,000 or so a year.

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Friend of Leo's

First job while in school: dipping cones at Baskin Robbins. An interesting detail was sorting the freezer and bringing out a desired two gallon bucket. To do that you donned a coat and gloves and entered the freezer. The freezer was always stacked to the roof to the point where there was just enough space for ONE guy to stand. You then closed the door and had to unstack the buckets from in front of you and restack them behind you, making your way to the back where the desired bucket always was. You then had to stack your way back out, making sure the inventory was replaced where it had come from so that the next poor soul could find what he needed expeditiously rather than freeze to death, stacked into in a back corner, looking for it.

First job out of school: In 1981 I was studying music composition, electronic music, and recording studio techniques at the masters level. As the money started thinning out I applied at a television network to become a recording engineer. They flew me up and looked me over. A month later my wife and I traveled to a new state to begin work at the network. I was the junior-most audio operator they had out of eleven and started at about $6.61 per hour working the night shift. Yesterday I celebrated 40 years as a recording engineer/producer/sound designer. It has been a wild ride!

Bob

Flaneur likes this.
  18. Opt_234

Opt_234 Tele-Meister

my first job as a bus boy at a Chinese restaurant. under the table pay. worked weekend evenings and made 50$

i saved for 6 weeks and bought an MIM Tele in Blue Agave Metallic

my first job after school that was regular full time work was at an ice cream factory. main thing we made was Klondike bars, but we also made various other good humor branded things. certain ice cream sandwiched and such, occasionally pop-sicle products too. but i think a lot of those things we were making there other than the klondike bars are discontinued or otherwise rebranded and the factory is no longer there.

19. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Shakey's was the place to be after every Friday night High School football game. Almost 50 years later, I can recall a 5-minute event that still cracks me up. Thanks for triggering the memories.

20. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

First job out of school... finished my finals on a Friday in mid-December, started a job with a software company on Monday. There's was no question about taking the job, but I pretty much hated it. Cubicles, bad fluorescent light, crappy coffee with powdered creamer in small styrofoam cups. $32k/yr starting out. I bought a bed, a car, and then an '81 Boogie Mark IIb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.