First Job, First Pay Packet.

esseff

Friend of Leo's
What was your first job after leaving school, how much did you earn and what did you spend it on?

Me, I left school in 1970 at 15 years old without qualifications because I wasn't interested in most of the subjects and in those days it wasn't difficult to find employment.
I got a job at a very small landscape and market gardening business with a five-mile bicycle trip each way. Back-breaking work for a skinny youth and involved picking about ten 50 yard lines of low-hanging runner beans on alternate days followed by picking and washing lettuces, weeding, sowing various vegetable, picking plums and apples and then going out with the other three guys installing crazy paving, mixing cement, digging post holes for garden fencing, creosoting the fences and more weeding. Great fun in Autumn and Winter. :rolleyes:
I earned £5.50 ($7.70) per week, when the average was about £24.00. I'd voluntarily give my parents half, buy a couple of Airfix model aircraft and waste what was left.
Since those days I've had a mixture of jobs, self-studied the subjects I was interested in and got myself reasonable technical and certifying qualifications as an aircraft engineer. Plus I've travelled to - and lived - in some interesting places abroad.
These days I'm retired and have a part-time cleaning job at a local motor racing circuit.
No real regrets about the way my life turned out.

Last edited:

Luvs2yoko

TDPRI Member
Worked a my best fiends family bakery after school in the 70's.Made around 30.00 a week.Spent every penny on records, beer, and anything else my mother wouldn’t buy me.Earned a degree in criminal justice, and worked in law enforcement. Was an electrical and hvac contractor for 13 years.Ended up marrying the same friends sister 20 years ago.My wife is a teacher, and I work at the same bakery I started at 40 years ago.Kinda came full circle, minus the beer.

Last edited:

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
In 73 I was 17 and got a job a an electrician’s helper. My weekly pay was $70 dollars take home. We lived so far out in the country that I was glad to have it. The following year I got a job as a drill press operator making a whopping $3.25/hr which wasn’t bad considering minimum wage was $2.00 at the time. I saved my pennies and bought my dream car, a 68 Camaro. .The good old days

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
16. Summer of '73. Living in a large squat, above a dairy, in Burnt Oak, North London and working at a wine warehouse, in Kilburn. My first £18 wage, I took to Kensington Market and bought a Levis denim shirt, for £4. All the rock stars, in the Melody Maker photos, were wearing them and I'd never seen one for sale, before.
The job entailed dragging boxes of wine out of trucks, one at a time, as they usually weren't palleted. Hot, dusty work. On pay day, I ran to the pub, at lunchtime, with the three young Dubliners I was working with. We drank three pints of Guinness each and ran back to work. Afternoon productivity declined.

guinness.gif

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
14 years old. 1987.

I worked in an auto shop sweeping up, dumping oil pans, grabbing parts for the mechanics, etc. I was paid $2 per hour. I worked two hours per day after school. Five days a week. So I made $20 a week.

I did that for about a month. Then opportunity knocked. Local pizza shop called my dad for a gig, and he was already booked so he sent me instead. I played from 7-9 pm. I made $50, a large pizza, and all the Dr Pepper I could drink. Two and half week’s pay in two hours, plus food and drink? I quit my job at the auto shop the next day and never looked back. With the exception of a few odd jobs here and there when times were desperate, I’ve been a musician ever since.

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
First job after high school was working at the local developmental center, then known as the state hospital. Providing custodial care and basic self care skill training to people with disabilities. That turned into about a 25 year career eventually. I think I was taking home a little less than $100 a week working full-time. My first job of any kind was delivering papers. Up early six days a week (before school in the winter)and delivering about 35 copies of Chicago Tribune and Suntimes and one Wall Street Journal for $2.50 a week. I enjoyed reading the headline stories before rolling up each paper and securing it with a rubber band so it would survive being hurled toward each front porch as I rode by on my bike. Nothing like a kid starting their day by reading about Richard Specks horrific slaughter of nurses or one of the Jayne brothers trying to settle their feud with a car bomb and killing an innocent secretary trying to start the bosses car instead. Occasional gangland killings but I can’t remember names. Guess I forgot all the good news.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was still in school when I got my first job.
I was 13.
It was summer of 1970.
I was paid $1 an hour, and worked a 44 hour week.
I was a janitor/delivery help.
It was at my Dad’s job, Popular TV & Appliance Co. at 2424 S. Lamar, here in Austin.
My take home pay for that 44 hour week was roughly $27.
I worked hard.
My Dad made sure.
I picked up parking lot trash, cleaned the windows, swept and mopped the floors, trimmed the bushes out front, cut the grass out back, cleaned the bathrooms, made the coffee, and helped deliver washers, dryers, freezers, refrigerators, TV consoles, and home stereo consoles.
No dollys, just my strong back, and the strong backs of the two other, older guys, besides my Dad.
Dad didn’t do deliveries.
The odd thing was both the other guys were adults (29 and 36) named Bill.
I became Billy when I worked there.
I have never been Billy, before or since.
Just plain old, Bill, por favor.
I digress.
Most of my (stupid) adult day jobs were six day a week retail.
Talk about the Nowhere Road.
I spent my working life thinking working a 48 hour week was normal.
If I could turn back time, I would.
I worked long, hard, and really have nothing to show for it but a humble SS check.
I shoulda’ tried harder for rock stardom.;)

Last edited:

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
While still in high school, I worked part-time at a KFC franchise cooking chicken and burgers. It paid $1.25/hr. Then, I went to college. After college, my first job paid around $200/wk. That was fixing TVs, and stereo equipment.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My first job was at the age of 12. There are many Ginseng farms in central WI and I started weeding and picking berries (they become seed and picking the actual roots. A local farmer would pick us up in town and he paid $2.00 per hour cash. I will never forget being 12 and having this big farmer guy hand me $80 at the end of my first week. What blew me away (big time) was the thought that following Friday he'd hand me another $80. My dad insisted that half my income go in a savings account but this was 1975. I felt so blessed. $40 per week could buy comic books and Cracker Jacks and records. Those were great days.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
While in high school, I worked at Pizza Hut, and, directly after graduation, at Tractor Supply.

I don’t really remember, but I guarantee most of it was sunk into my car, a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura (painted Fiesta Red) as well as my burgeoning vinyl collection.

I later worked at an oil and lube center while in college, and then got a job in a semiconductor wafer fabrication factory.

At that point, most of the money was going to guitars, amps, harps and microphones.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
As a junior in high school, I worked in grocery store bagging groceries, stocking shelves for $1.60/hr. (1973)
Next job I remember rate of pay was while I was undergrad in college. I was making either $3.30 or 3.50/hr working on bridge construction crew. (1977)
Worked as student intern while in pharmacy school making $5/hr 1978/79).
After graduating/passing board exams/licensure, my first job out of school I made $18,000/yr plus health insurance. In theory, had 2 weeks paid vacation. In reality, after filling in while others were on vacation, you got no paid vacation....(1980). This was after 6 years of study/training at university.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I hauled hay as a young teen. Myself and a neighbor kid contracted with my grandfather. It was either a Nickle each per bail of hay for each of us if we used Grandpa's helper, or we could split $0.15 per each bail if we did it just the two of us.
We hauled 1000 bails over the course of a couple of days. Picked up, stacked, and transported to the barn where it was off loaded and then restacked in the barn. Two back breaking days work for $150 which we split between the two of us.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
While still in high school, I worked part-time at a KFC franchise cooking chicken and burgers. It paid $1.25/hr. Then, I went to college. After college, my first job paid around $200/wk. That was fixing TVs, and stereo equipment.
I picked up pocket money here and there from age 12, but my first real job (1977) was at 17 at a KFC. Horrible. I don’t remember how much it paid, but there’s no way it was worth it. Then again, the same can be said for lots of the jobs I’ve had since then, because I’m too… wayward… to build a proper career.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My first check paying job was in 1969, the summer. I went to work at the same shop my Dad worked. Dad was a welder/laborer. It was a steel fabrication shop. I learned how to operate a pattern cutter, press brake, cutter, overhead crane, fork lifts, spot weld and drive a stake rack 2 ton truck. I was paid $2.85hr and my Dad made sure my brothers and me earned our check. The reward was I learned at an early age what hard work was. Then after work I got to sit at the bar and have a beer and no one said jack to me. I am thankful to Dad for all of it. I was 15.

edit in: I spent it on pot, concerts, Marlboros and a '64 327 Chevelle Malibu. Not necessarily in that order and I was never hurtin' for a girlfriend.

Last edited:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
What was your first job after leaving school, how much did you earn and what did you spend it on?

NAPA Autoparts Warehouse @ $1.75/hr ($70/week). Spent it on gas for my car, food, entertainment, and clothes.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
First proper proper job after I left music college was at Drury Lane Theatre, London. Spending my evenings on stage with a young and extremely pretty girl called Catherine Zeta Jones before I was famous.

I doubt she remembers me :)

Wage.. can’t actually remember.. £178/week for the shows? I could actually afford a mortgage in London too with a couple of mates.

I do remember feeling flush and getting a really nice curry at the Capital Radio top rated curry house in London early on. First weekend. It was magnificent!

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I mowed lawns as a kid, for $2.00 front and back. $4.00 for corner lots. Wasn't a real job.

I decided I needed to pay my own way thru college, so I pumped Avgas/Jet A at the airport...~250/wk? I bought a clapped out CB350 Honda from one of the mechanics there...$200. I rode it like the 20yr old idiot I was.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My first job was while on summer vacation in 1954, I was eleven years old, and had already gotten my social security card. That is my earliest entry on my social security readout. I chopped cotton first thinning, then weeding then finally just keeping the big weeds at bay as the cotton matured. I was paid fifty cents and hour, and worked forty hours a week. I guess in those days they didn't care how long a kid worked per day. On the strength of that job when I got my first paycheck I was able to negotiate a deal with the King lumber company to buy a Colombia Three Star Deluxe bicycle. To my dismay, they drew up a contract, and I gave them my check which the only deduction was SS at the time, and they let me take the bike out of there that day! I paid it off over the next three weeks.

The summer I was twelve I worked with my stepdad on a job paying fifty cents an hour moving irrigation pipe and made fifty dollars one week! That's one hundred hours of work. I think I had turned thirteen by then, but I'm pretty sure they would have given my boss the electric chair if he had worked a kid that many hours in today's work market.