1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First gig of the year yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Apr 19, 2021.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Welp, I finally got out to play a show yesterday, after the last one being a live stream show in October. Outdoor gig, at a veterans benefit/classic car show with a band I subbed in with a couple of years ago (they sadly lost their guitarist to Covid last year and still haven't replaced him so I got the call). Good crowd, a few hundred people all day, beautiful weather right up until the end when it started to drizzle a bit.

It felt great to get out and play at a healthy volume with other humans, for sure. But I gotta tell you, a 4 hour gig right off the bat was definitely like being thrown into the deep end and swimming for four hours straight. By the end of the day my fingers hurt, and my arms and legs felt like they were going to give out. I always took for granted that playing on the regular really builds up your stamina, and I can tell it's going to take a few shows to get back to where I don't feel like I'd been playing football and not guitar for four hours.

Not really complaining, though. I think my face muscles got the most working from smiling non-stop all day. Good to be back on that horse.

- D

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great to play out again. Sounds like you survived okay. Glad the rain held off.

We've played three outdoor gigs here in NC so far. One was rained out and we played the make up on Friday. The last before these was early Dec 2020, also ourside, and near the dew point by the end... moisture started to form on the instruments (!).

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Great to hear this!
    I recently had my first rehearsal in a half year. After two hours I was feeling it. Before Covid a four hour standup gig was no problem. Hopefully I'll be back gigging soon and get back in performing shape.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Glad you had fun at your gig!

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Except for a January/February shutdown due to cold ( as most of our gigs in 2020 and now are outside) I have been playing steady since the end of April last year. Grateful that things worked out this way, as this is my income as well as passion

But I HATE any 4 hour gig!

We are usually a duo or trio and I even play play sitting down.
    I'm the lead singer, lead guitarist, and I have a bad back. It really takes it out of me to get through a 4 hour gig ( of course with breaks)

I try do do (2) one hour (or longer) sets, and with the breaks, shoot for a 40 minute 3rd Set- take up enough time to NOT play a 4th set.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    StrangerNY likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ll bet that was fun and yeah, four hours is a long one after an extended layoff.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. I had my first gig, just one set, with a newly reformed band of mine last Sunday. That was a fun time, good tunes and good crowd.

That band, and the other I'm in, have a couple dates per month through the Summer, starting in May. Some indoor and some outdoor.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.