First generation Joe Strummer Telecaster (2007-2009)

mschafft

Tele-Meister
Hi guys,

Just spotted a first generation Joe Strummer Telecaster for a good price on sale locally. Same as the one on this old ebay listing (link) or in this video:

I read that the paint doesn't always age well with layers coming apart or bubbling.
Do you know anything about this finish? I believe it's nitro.
No offense to the great Joe Strummer but grey primer looks a bit weird. Is it a real full undercoat coat between the burst and the black? Or did Fender use decals to do bits of black, burst and grey directly on top of the primer?

Apart from that any input on this signature model is welcome!
Thanks for reading this post.

Last edited:

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had one of the first generation Strummer’s, before my daughter inherited it, and IIRC, the ”finish” is really like a giant, vinyl cover, not anything like a regular finish of any kind. It’s not paint. She’s had it for several years, and the last time I saw it, there was a small blister that had popped up on the upper bass edge. Other than that, no real problems with the finish, and I know she played it quite a bit.

mschafft

Tele-Meister
I had one of the first generation Strummer’s, before my daughter inherited it, and IIRC, the ”finish” is really like a giant, vinyl cover, not anything like a regular finish of any kind. It’s not paint. She’s had it for several years, and the last time I saw it, there was a small blister that had popped up on the upper bass edge. Other than that, no real problems with the finish, and I know she played it quite a bit.
Thanks. They look like fun guitars. I wonder if stripping the body and refinishing it with a more traditional black road worn type look would be a good idea. Maybe they are so iconic they are best left as is... The bridge is not as rusty on the new ones btw. What's up with that? Has rust gone out of fashion since 2008? The Tele brought me back to Joe Strummer interviews, what a great human being and charismatic front man he was!

mschafft

Tele-Meister
They do not have a nitro finish, I believe.
Thank you. I contacted Fender for a spec sheet, hopefully they will write back.
Nitro is a bit more difficult to work with than poly so it's good to know. Depending on the options I could see myself refinishing the body and ageing it in a more road worn/custom shop way. I already own a RoadWorn strat which needed work but plays and sounds amazing now.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Thank you. I contacted Fender for a spec sheet, hopefully they will write back.
Nitro is a bit more difficult to work with than poly so it's good to know. Depending on the options I could see myself refinishing the body and ageing it in a more road worn/custom shop way. I already own a RoadWorn strat which needed work but plays and sounds amazing now.
People really like those. personally I’d sell it to someone that really wants it for more than you paid then refinish something less sought after/rare

Just my opinion, it’s yours to do as you wish once in possession

Last edited:

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I always suspected the first, and more so the second generations of those were just a vinyl wrap.
Is there any confirmationthat there is actually lacquer over it, much less nitrocellulose?

McGoldTopp

Tele-Meister
I have the new one.

I do recall the 2007ish one had what looked to be a sticker like finish at least on the front, and better rust than mine does…

if it speaks to you and the rent money is safe, have at it

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I have the new one.

I do recall the 2007ish one had what looked to be a sticker like finish at least on the front, and better rust than mine does…

if it speaks to you and the rent money is safe, have at it
I haven’t looked at the older ones, but looking at the newer ones the “wear” is different on each one so they aren’t decals

The necks on the older ones looked better though…

I haven’t been impressed with roadworn necks lately, it doesn’t seem where the finish is supposed to be worn away that it is :(

My j mascis basically has a light overspray on the whole neck, I assume it’s the same on the strummer where the worn part of the neck actually isn’t actually worn?

C’mon fender!

McGoldTopp

Tele-Meister
I haven’t looked at the older ones, but looking at the newer ones the “wear” is different on each one so they aren’t decals

The necks on the older ones looked better though…

I haven’t been impressed with roadworn necks lately, it doesn’t seem where the finish is supposed to be worn away that it is :(

My j mascis basically has a light overspray on the whole neck, I assume it’s the same on the strummer where the worn part of the neck actually isn’t actually worn?

C’mon fender!

The neck on the new one has a few dings, but no appreciable wear, I don't mind as the body road wear looks pretty good, I'm super happy with it. I do not like 6 saddle bridges, but not enough to change it, maybe...

I did Kirchen the control plate and change the strings... I plan on keeping it in mint condition...

new model..
44-C1-E0-AA-4-E30-43-FB-A155-82789-B885524.jpg

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
Bummer that its gone - But I had a first generation and - i didn't know it at the time - but that one was d*mn near the best tele I ever had. Great 60's neck and whatever the finish is/was it was amazing (absolutely NOT a wrap) but obviously a template of somekind.

A really great player...

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you feel you got ripped off?

Bummer that its gone - But I had a first generation and - i didn't know it at the time - but that one was d*mn near the best tele I ever had. Great 60's neck and whatever the finish is/was it was amazing (absolutely NOT a wrap) but obviously a template of somekind.

A really great player...
Well, I don't know what the difference is between a wrap and a template, but the one I had definitely had some kind of thick, rubber-like covering over the whole body, that, as I said, has begun to bubble in a couple of places. I do agree that it has one of the best necks of any guitar I've ever played.

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
Really - Thats weird. I am trying to remember but I dont think it ever felt like something would bubble.... The finish on the one i had felt super smooth. I could 'see' layers of paint but couldn't 'feel' the layers if that makes sense

RE: Template - There was very little variance in the V1 wear patterns and it looked to me like they used spray templates on the colors and wear templates on the worn areas, and then just sanded everything down.

V2 has a lot more variance in the wear patterns so I think its a lot more of a manual process than V1.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never said it felt like it would bubble, the finish was, indeed, very smooth. In fact, I was kinda surprised when my daughter showed me the bubble when I last saw the guitar (about a month ago). To me, in confirmed what I had suspected since I first got the guitar, that it was some kind of wrap. And, if you look at any of the first generation models, the pattern is EXACTLY the same on all of them.

MelodicBend

Tele-Meister
If you're into that sort of thing like I am, just freakin go get it and ask questions later.

Highway One guitars naturally relic in the same way if you would consider a more standard piece.