1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First full band experience in decades...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danomo, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Neighborhood place has open band nights on Saturdays, I've gone, but never played before.

Tonight, no bassists, and only one other singer (also keyboardist, drummer, and a guitarist). The owner knows me, and I was recruited for two sets. The first set was bass only, and mediocre as we were feeling each other out (and I may have been a bit too tipsy), by the second set, I was sober, in the groove, played bass and guitar... and even sang a couple songs.

OMG, I haven't had that much musical fun in years. I must not have sucked too bad, because I was asked back, and the drummer and guitarist both asked for my number.

I'm home now, completely sober, and wide awake. Lordy, Lordy!

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What a great way to start a Hangover!

Glad it all worked-out.

For me, playing in front of an Audience is a still a rush.

Rock-on.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Open mic on a Saturday eh... how cool! Glad you got to play. Hope you make it a regular occurance, always nice to get out and meet other musicians. Well done!

4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Good for you.

That's always fun, and it's how I met some guys that are bandmates and jam buddies to this day. Glad you had a good time.

5. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I've got to work some overtime today, so off to work I go (no hangover or regrets whatsoever today). One thing I have to mention though... I forgot how much energy you expend on stage, I was soaked with sweat when I walked home (just after the second set) like I'd just rode 20 miles on my bike.

6. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Good for you! That was how I got back into things a couple years ago. I'd not been in a band for a couple decades while my kids were growing up and then I started going to a blues jam and that then led to forming a duo and playing out again. Lots of fun! You'll surely get called by those guys and may be asked to join a band...

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

You done good! It's time to get back on the horse.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have yet to ever show up at a jam with a bass and not been asked up to play. Usually the "house bassist" has a very grateful look on his face. LOL

Nice to hear about your experience. Nothing like a little live jamming to get the juices flowing again.

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Good job!

I have been hankering to play the new bass I bought recently. I found some guys looking for a drummer and a bassist. I hooked them up with a drummer from a list I had from an ad I placed. I'd never met him. I jammed with these fellow last week. So the drummer was new and I was new. It was a lot of fun. While I'm principally a guitar player, I had a good time playing the bass in a group which I hadn't done since 1999/2000. I've learned so much and when I listened back to the recordings it wasn't too bad (compared to what I heard when I was there!)

It's no fun to play bass alone, so this was really worthwhile. Playing with folks is a lot more fun than playing alone.

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Thanks guys, it really was a hoot. I'd never even played some of the songs before (We Jammin', Folson Prison blues, Wonderful tonight, and a few others, I snatched a look before playing those songs at the tabs keyboardist had printed for lyrics). FPB was particularly fun, as I'd played guitar on the song previous (Cry Love), and hadn't switched back to bass, the other guitarist and I traded licks on the fade out... It was a really long fade out.

11. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Cool story. I haven't played in so long I'm starting to wonder if I still know how.

That's probably because he was the last guy before you who showed up with a bass, and they wouldn't let him off the stage! :D

From a fellow bass player...or at least bass owner...who has had the same experience, more than once.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.