First ever build - Blues Driver Clone

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by LAPDX, Oct 24, 2021.

1. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Firstly - thanks to everyone who's posted or commented in this forum previously! I've been reading back through just about everything in preparation for this first build, and I'm certain I'll require additional dives to find more information.

I got the bug to learn to solder by modding my very first pedal (tone cut mod for my Big Muff Pi), and after that success, I ordered a clone kit! Reading through the instructions, I've realized I'm either out of my depth or absolutely pushing my skillset to new heights. Things can be two things, I suppose.

I'll begin with things I'm more comfortable with (sanding and painting), and go from there, one step at a time. Updates and questions to follow!

chazo64 and zippofan like this.
  2. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Welcome LAPDX!

the folks here on the TDPRI forums are super helpful with lots of experience so you’re in good company. Sounds like you’re off to a good start with your big muff mod. What clone kit did you order? Someone here may have built the same one and have specific pointers for you.

3. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Thank you! This is the BYOC kit, which I'm excited to get started on (weather and time allowing, naturally). This will be my first overdrive pedal, so I'm really hoping to take my time and get this right.

chazo64 likes this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

My first kit was a BYOC, (the larger one) 8D4FD6A2-BF4B-4AD9-9052-D52A18D6FDB1.jpeg I still love it!

chazo64 and LAPDX like this.
  5. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Well, the bit I was worried about (extensive soldering and assembly) has gone brilliantly so far! Assuming it's all working, having not tested yet. However, my stencil I was going to use for the art on top failed. Probably because with a spray can, it was like sending a tsunami through a keyhole and hoping to get an impression of the hole itself.

So, sanded that off, ended up with an uneven surface I'm probably just going to deal with, as a learning experience. Trying to decide for the rest of the morning: printed label or hand-painting? Really, I feel neither will turn out brilliantly, but I'm practicing skills to get better at, at this point. This will always have a bit of a "quirky charm" that comes from being bad at something.

zippofan and chazo64 like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Don’t forget to post pictures so that the experts here can make suggestions, and the rest of us can learn from your mistakes!

7. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

20211029_143640.jpg
    Entirely fair - my phone camera was taking images that were too large to post. After taking it down a notch, you can see a bit of unevenness where I had to sand away the old stuff. In retrospect, it would have honestly been easier to just...add extra coats on top, and not bother removing the remains of gold mess that were sitting there. Ah well - we learn!

Planning and exploring some hand-painting for this one, with appropriately-sized pics to follow.

chazo64 likes this.
  8. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Well, if you've got a child's level of experience, your handiwork will likely have a childlike naïvete! Behold:

20211030_131056.jpg

If only I could ask for this to go on the fridge. Would take a hell of a magnet. If it's not clear by now, I am posting all the warts to document some learning experiences, and to give my humility a workout. With that in mind: maybe try paint pens for your first freehand lettering? Or, as I certainly intend to do next time, try printing labels.

Clear coat going on now, and tomorrow, I should hopefully be able to put it all together and see how it sounds! Feeling much more confident about my soldering and direction-following skills than my hand-painting skills.

9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

As long as you enjoy building that's all that matters!

LAPDX likes this.
  10. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Funny you should mention - the most enjoyable part of it was when it all came together! Well, a bit after that.

After getting everything put together, making sure nothing was soldered where it shouldn't be, I plugged in and tested with a 9v. All good in bypass, but when I engaged it, no sound, excepting a trebly short fuzz with volume and gain up full. Was about to forum troubleshoot, until I saw this little black rectangle in styrofoam sitting on my desk...

So, once I added the critical op-amp to the socket, it was perfect. Exactly the sound I was looking for, without flaws. Bitten me, the bug has.

20211031_151603.jpg

chazo64, dan40 and zippofan like this.
  11. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

Always makes me nervous when I have parts left over, especially when it’s my first (of anything)!

Good job!

LAPDX and chazo64 like this.
  12. chazo64

chazo64 Tele-Meister

You are on your way

LAPDX and zippofan like this.
  13. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Nice pedal build! Congrats and soon enough you'll be looking at building your first champ-clone!

zippofan, chazo64 and LAPDX like this.
  14. LAPDX

LAPDX TDPRI Member

Thanks to all! Currently trying to fight myself and work on playing this more, rather than plan my next build...

zippofan and chazo64 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.