1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First electric in 20 years. What are my options ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gregorski, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks. I don't intend to buy online but getting to stores is slightly problematic when they're all doing appointment only so I'm trying to narrow it down to minimise the number of trips I have to make. I don't really have any preconceptions on price and totally agree with what feels right but I know already that a "modern C" neck really isn't for me and that takes a large chunk of options off the table. Very open to buying used too but the idea of going to peoples houses to try them in current climate doesn't fill me with joy :(

JL_LI likes this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree.

Gregorski likes this.
  3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think a guitar exists to do you justice. You’re suffering from arthritis, be nice to yourself.

Gregorski likes this.
  4. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thank you for the detailed response. I've played the AO strat and definitely liked it, even the smaller frets. I may still end up with a strat but my heart is telling me tele. 7.25 radius is what my original squier had and I never had an issue with it other than big bends and some fret buzz which I'm guessing could've been sorted out with some TLC. The 7.25 doesn't immediately put me off and I'll definitely try it. If the AO tele was white blond I'd probably be super interested, not a huge fan of the butterscotch / tinted blond but could live with it

5. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

AVRI prices seem quite high. Most decent ones are £1400-1500. Seems a lot but they seem to be highly regarded.

6. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Not specifically in the market for anything expensive, they're just the ones which seemed to have the right kind of specs. I'd also been considering the Squier Classic Vibe but I think it's a modern C neck. Heard great things about them.

7. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

In
    I'm UK based but I'd heard about the Wildwood Thin-skin guitars. I thought they were custom shop though and it sounds like they're more FSR.

Yes, more on the 50s vibe. I did try the AO 60s tele in that gorgeous double bound lake placid blue but the neck didn't really work for me. Beautiful looking guitar though.

8. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

That looks like a lot of fun!

9. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

I have actually been into Andertons while the better half was shopping in Guildford. It's a great store. They very into their heavy relics though :). If I were to buy CS i'd prefer NOS although the one I found online is a "Lush Closet Classic". Difficult to know what that is going to look like close up because i can't find any definitive pictures and the stores photos are too low resolution.

10. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Only available in the USA unfortunately - it would be an interesting option definitely

Gary135r likes this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

If you like it and can afford it, buy it and enjoy it. Don't worry about anything else.

RobRiggs likes this.
  12. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Yes, the AVRI 52s aren't cheap. I'm hoping with patience I might be able to nab one for closer to £1100-1200 or so. I just like the idea of playing a guitar that's as close as possible to what it would have been like if I bought one new in the 50s. Given I'll never be able to afford an actual 50s Tele. I certainly had no complaints about the quality of my Baja.

13. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

My telecaster has a longer neck than my strat but the strat feels longer because it has a fatter neck so it's more of a reach for the frets. I have arthritis in my hands too and I like the slimmer necks because I don't have to stretch my fingers as far.

14. Telebra

Telebra Tele-Meister

I have a '52' Custom shop Esquire, Relic, V-neck, 9.5 Radius, Routing for neck Pick-up(install what you want). It seems my daughter wants to go to University and wants Daddy'O to pay for it!
    So here's the plan, stuff a plastic garbage bag full of Pounds, Euros, and send it to me. I will then ship the guitar to you Posthaste. Tally Ho Mate IMG_20170624_210602.jpg

15. northern_mark

northern_mark TDPRI Member

I'm UK based also, up in Yorkshire. From everything you have said, a Baja Telecaster would suit you all the way, plenty used ones on ebay so if you bought one and decided it was not for you, you could sell it at probably pretty much what you paid for it. If you want a valve amp for use at home, a Fender Blues Junior would be a great match and would bring out some lovely tones. The Baja Tele has a button switch on the selector to enable you to use the two pick ups like a humbucker and it sounds great. Those are my recommendations, I don't know anything about modelling amps so I can't comment, but good luck.

Gregorski likes this.
  16. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Get an ESP guitar, 24 fret, 7 string. They do a range of shapes and the necks feel perfect to me. I recently bought an ESP E-II Horizon 7str, the first new guitar for me this century and it's fantastic. I play mainly Jazz but having a 2 octave neck and an extra string for the odd low note is such a bonus :) TBH since I rarely play my, umm...lets call it 'traditional' guitar any more.

Gregorski likes this.
  17. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

I read up more on the 50s modified and thanks for bringing this up. I'd discounted it because I watched the Andertons video and they said it had a modern C neck, turns out it has a 50s soft V which I think it very similar to the AO strat I liked. Also pickups sound a bit more modern and more to my taste. The only thing that puts me off slightly is the way the switch is configured - I'd probably switch the front position to be the neck and the next position to be the 2 in series. Seems like you'd want your neck pickup to be at the front position and the 2 options for both pickups to be in the middle 2 positions. Anyway, watching a few more reviews on this now to get a feel for the sound but it definitely looks interesting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.