1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First electric in 20 years. What are my options ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gregorski, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Your options are 20x more far reaching than 20 years ago. You can't go wrong! Pick a budget, pick a store, try em out. This is the fun part, the thrill of the chase!!! Soon enough you'll have a nice guitar to leave in the box (im j/k and jealous you get to buy a new guitar right now)

2. Razatack

Razatack NEW MEMBER!

Get a used American 52 vintage reissue tele, they are the bomb!

mimmo likes this.
  3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Play a couple of Squier teles. buy the one you like the best. Pretty low risk- if you don't like it, they're pretty easy to sell.

4. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

My experience - for what it's worth: 10 months ago I bought (unexpectedly) a Squier Vintage Modified '70s STRATOCASTER - the recently discontinued model in SSS + one-piece maple neck, you should easily find it on the web - whose neck is a HUGE deep C. Definitely the chunkiest neck I ever owned. I've some issues with my hands, too, and sincerely this 'big one' helps a lot. But I see you're in the market for more expensive axes.

5. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Get out there and play as many guitars as you can. You'll know when one feels right.

aging_rocker likes this.
  6. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

The Vintura 50s would be my choice. Telecasters have a much more universal sound. I have seen everyone from to metal players to country players use them and you can add bigger switches to them to get even more tones from them. I own and MIK Squier tele and I use way more then my Fender MIM 70s reissue strat.

7. fatz treeboy

fatz treeboy TDPRI Member

u r lucky IMHO....... there r SO SO SO many unwanted used guitars on offer..... don't sell urself short, you are definitely in the drivers seat...find what u want then start bargaining.... remember, the used guit market is in the toilet for 10 yrs now, so offer way less . and most importantly, have fun :)

8. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

Older series 50s RW tele is a solid choice... nice 6105 frets on the 7.25 radius fretboard. I love mine and reach for it more than my AO strat (not 6105 frets smaller and 9.5 radius). The blonde ones are ash... american hardware, american body, nitro applied in US, only thing MIM about them is the neck (light poly). Neck dimensions are .90/1, .87/7, .89/12, chunky but fast. Good luck.

9. r12ax7

r12ax7 NEW MEMBER!

I was in this exact same place a year ago. I had been almost exclusively a Strat guy, even if I always had a wayward eye towards a Les Paul. But when the electric bug bit me a year or so ago my gut said Tele. I took a ton of time debating what to get, tried a lot of different guitars and I ultimately ended up with ... wait for it, a PRS S2 Semi-hollow singlecut - and it was a mistake! Still haven't bonded with it. I ended up picking up a 2003 American Standard Tele (regular, 6-saddle bridge) soon after for less than a third of the PRS' price and I play it more than any of my other electrics (two Strats and the PRS). So while its great to be patient and try a lot of things, sometimes you have to go with your gut and I sort of which I had (although I love the Tele I ended up with).

Obviously your budget is the key as there are some amazing +/- $1,000 options and plenty of good instruments below and well above that price point.

If I had to do it over again with a budget in the +/- $2,000 range, I would go with one of two options:

1. Wildwood Fender thin-skin nitro. I love the '64, but based on your initial post maybe the '52 BSB is more up your alley. To be fair I have yet to actually play one of these, but by all accounts you are getting a near-custom-shop level instrument for just a tad more than the American Original. Just search the forums and you will see some very credible thoughts on these. And apparently if you call them directly to place your order they will work with you on price. Not sure how that translates in terms of shipping to the UK or if you are totally opposed to buying without trying, but I would seriously look at these if they are within your budget.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-usa/american-vintage-thin-skin-nitro/

2. American Original - Strat or Tele. I personally like the 60s (really dig that new Burgundy mist color), but you mentioned the 50s and that is another winner. These are really well made. When I was trying them I felt they were a clear step up from American Professional and even the Elites.

10. mdpatsr

mdpatsr TDPRI Member

Another option. You mentioned arthritis. A Jaguar has a smaller scale which is easier on the hands. As with all Fenders, they come rather inexpensive model up to a reasonably expensive model. I know players aging that are truly appreciating the shorter scale.

11. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

For your preferences, you might consider a Gibson Les Paul Special with P90’s. Fat neck, easy to play, great tone, shorter scale. Lotsa color options.

I have teles, strats and a wide range of others, and my 02 Special is a joy.

12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I know this a Tele forum, but I say Strat....so comfortable to play

13. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

Telecaster. Whatever you can afford in a Telecaster that feels good to you...pay attention to neck profiles: "U", Large soft "V", "C", etc. One will be best for you. To quote a famous Tele player who bridges Country and Rock - Kenny Vaughn: "Telecasters are the perfect guitar, they are the 'Swiss Army Knife' of electric guitars...they can do anything you ask of them. If I could only take one guitar on tour, it would be a Telecaster." My personal recommendation: buy a Whitfill Telecaster or "T-style" as he must call them. New price for a standard butterscotch black guard is under three grand. You can find MINT and Excellent condition pre-owned ones in the low-to-mid two grand range. They hold their value. Tone and feel? TO DIE FOR. Best vintage feel in a new guitar that you can get IMHO. Other well built ones: Riggio, Mario Martin, and LsL, and all are similarly priced. Good luck!

14. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

The CS tele. That could be a "lifetime" friend.

15. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

IMG_2750 2.JPG My current project. Early Baja Tele body was too heavy and polyester choked but I loved the size of the neck and the electronics...so an ash body from Reverb and some parts migration I'm hopeful. The neck is great and the S1 switching is fun. Enjoy.

16. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Buy USA Custom Guitars, Body, and USA Custom Guitars Neck. Their necks have built in fall-away past 12th fret, and makes for better bending. Frets also have full contact with the neck.

Theyll make you about anything thing you wish.

You want a bigger neck??

1 inch Fatback C Shape x 1 3/4 nut?? Any radius

Buy some Joe Barden Pickups. Danny Gatton Set

Glendale Bridge, and Hardware.

Gotoh SDS 510 Mag/Lok Tuning Gears.

Have all the parts sent to your home, and then take all the parts to Chandlers, and have them do Complete Assembly, and Plek.

17. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Mod shop is cheaper. Maybe they have neck dimensions you could be happy with.

18. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I would suggest hitting the largest Fender guitar dealer nearest you and playing every single one of the models you just listed. Sometimes a Squier can blow away a Custom Shop guitar!

19. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

You’re in Berkshire UK - that’s actually within spitting distance of Guildford. If you’re spending custom shop money I’d say get yourself down to Andertons and try stuff out. They are quite happy to allow you to try things our and have a wide range on show

I’ve spent many afternoons there - last time with my daughter getting her her first electric. We started with the cheapest Squiers and worked up to full fat White Falcon (she wasn’t getting that no matter how much she liked it).

20. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

If the soft V is what is on the American Original strat then I really liked it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.