1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First electric in 20 years. What are my options ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gregorski, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Funnily enough I had considered building one early on in lockdown but everywhere was out of stock. Probably you all had the same idea :). Warmoth is USA based, not sure if they deliver to Europe but there are suppliers over here too but I know Warmoth has a good reputation.

dogmeat likes this.
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

ahh.... sorry, I missed the UK thing. they have great stuff but maybe a bit slow, especially with overseas shipping. they will ship anywhere though.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a feeling, you didn't - you may instead have read all the people's observations, who didn't own one of these. People on various boards have been very persistent that it is a V. I guess they think it most important that published info from FMIC be correct all the time - when they make plenty of errors.

I have seven of these Desert Sand, ash bodied "50s" Bajas and once upon a time, they weren't well known.

Anyway, I stuck one or another of the Bajas in the hands of a considerable number of seasoned players, and half said it had some traces of V and the other half of the study group said no, it wasn't a V at all. None had yet heard of this model.

FMIC doesn't have any models that it chooses to call "Boatneck" but that might be a way to describe it. Not much "shoulder", this is true and something like an FCS No-Caster is much fatter and with plenty of shoulder.

Please give the used 50s Baja another try. Meanwhile, the AO 50s will be larger. You can also seek out a used G E Smith, or look for a Ritchie Kotzen. A used Hotrod 50 has shoulder, but isn't super large in section. All potential "Post Arthritis" choices. Some are not the very largest but none are slim or conventional C.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  4. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks for your response. I’ve also seen a classic series 50s for sale which looks nice. Is that also going to have a bigger neck than a modern C ?

5. TeleGASter

TeleGASter TDPRI Member

The American Pro IIs just came out. They look and feel amazing. The colors choices awesome (like the dark knight). If I only had the money....

6. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Not really the answer you might expect in a Tele forum but I strongly recommend trying the current Les Paul Junior from the Gibson 'Originals' range. It has a very comfortable, chunky but nicely rounded, 50s neck.

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Good point - the Baja 50s neck isn't a pronounced V; what you're calling a "Boatneck" is what Fender's Marketing calls either a "Soft V" or a "10/56 V" (mostly called that by the CS); they aren't all that "V" shaped. But they're also all different due to hand shaping.

The few Baja 50s I've picked up were reasonably close to the Eric Johnson neck - which is supposed to morph between a "soft V" and a "C", but most of 5-6 I've tried out over the years seem to me to be in-between a soft V and a C all the way down.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

@Gregorski your options are only limited to what you can find. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a first electric on line. I’d check shops and sales by owners until I found one to love. Telecaster, Stratocaster, or something unexpected? You won’t know until you’ve found it. I have an FCS ‘69 Stratocaster that I love. I also love my MIM Telecaster. The more expensive guitar is different, not better, at least from the perspective of playability. The more expensive guitar is worth it only if it’s the right one for you.

I’d shop with an open mind. I’d take my time. I haven’t been guitar shopping for a while now but it sure was fun.

One more thing. Get an amp that complements your guitar and your style. For what it’s worth, I never expected a Stratocaster and a Nesa Boogie to be the combination that gives me “my” sound. Keep an open mind and have a little patience and you’ll be rewarded handsomely.

9. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The way I look at is, people buy and collect art pieces they like to hang on their walls, admire, and just enjoy having; there's no justification involved. Guitars, beautiful art pieces in themselves, deserve equal treatment!

Gregorski and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Good suggestion, we all know the Jr/Special is Gibson's Esquire/Tele knockoff:D

Erebia likes this.
  11. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Gregorski and Gary135r like this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wildeman likes this.
  13. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Looks like a good price too.

14. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

For are larger neck I'd look into a Nocaster.

15. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Fender is really making great guitars. I realize it is hard to take advice from a stranger, but I would buy used from Dave's Guitars. I have always felt that they downplay the condition of their instruments. I bought a 2020 Broadcaster that was described as having dings and scratches, and it does have some but they are on the back (go figure), and not as bad as they made them out to be. They are on the back. Paid $1495 out the door. Soon after that purchase, I bought a 1954 AVRI 60th anniversary Stratocaster for $1495 out the door that is even better condition. I could be wrong, but If I ever sold them, I would feel that I played them for free. Just my opinion and you may want a new instrument. There is something to be said for that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  16. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I had a Baja and think it does tick the boxes you mentioned. I recently sold it as part of a big reorganisation of my collection during the lockdown. They go for around £400-550 or so used, and pop up fairly often on Gumtree/eBay/FB Marketplace. I've not tried one, but as people mention the Vintera 50s modified is supposed to be the same.

On a separate note, though, I'll also say if you can afford a CS and like them, then get it. For years I felt I only deserved cheaper guitars, and dreamed of more expensive ones. Then over lockdown I wondered what I was waiting for. I love guitars, they're beautiful objects, and I don't spend much money on anything for myself. I liked the Baja, but I always wanted the AVRI 52, so that's on my target list for when the right one pops up for sale. I recently got the AVRI 65 Jaguar and love it. Life happens while you're making plans for the future.

17. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

Vintera 50s Tele = Haven't played it but reading the specs, the 7.25 radius might be hard on your arthritis, or it might be good! You'll have to find out which redius suits your hand.
    American Original 50s Tele (only one colour option) = I own one, great guitar, it might only come in one colour but you can change the pick guard.
    American Pro tele (looks like it might feel too modern) = Thinner neck.
    American Original Strat (I've played this and I know I'd like it even though its a strat so threw it in) = Played a few, almost bought one. Great guitar, slightly warmer than most fenders but still alnico 5's across the board.

The position of the frets will also influence how your hand feels. A tele is better imo as the fretboard will be further to your left allowing easier mid-high fret playability. A strat will be further to your right, better if you play in the open chord area.

The American Pro's have thinner necks (but sound brighter).

On these accounts it's between the Vintera 50's or the AO. Both have U necks. One has 7.25" radius neck, the other a 9.5". I think it comes down to which neck radius your hands prefer and there you have the winner.

Gregorski likes this.
  18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

As others say, I think the Baja ticks all the boxes, and on those I tried the V was not very pronounced – not nearly as pronounced as on AO 50s strats, Vintera 50s strats and AV 56s.

The Vintera 50s tele (non mod) has a slightly less big neck, but still big, "U" shape, and lovely "traditional tele" pickups. I consider it to be the little sister of my 2011 American Vintage 52. Very similar sounds and play – very nice both. And very, very "tele".

Which leads me to one question: you say you prefer strat sounds… why not a strat then? And maybe later if you feel the need a "traditional" tele, loving it for the wonderful guitar it is, squishy neck pickup and all?

If you're in Custom shop territory in terms of budget, you could actually get both
    - A vintera 50s strat (they are great) and
    - A Vintera 50s tele (non mod) or if you can find one reasonably priced, an old AVRI 52

19. TeleGASter

TeleGASter TDPRI Member

I have the Vintera 50's modified which has a 50's soft-V neck which is the most comfortable for me (having somewhat small hands) and 9.5" radius with medium-jumbo frets. Neck is satin as well. All these specs together result in a very playable neck for most people I would think.

20. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

All good options!

I recently tried out the 50s vintera tele, it has a nice chunky neck.

Gregorski likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.