1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First electric in 20 years. What are my options ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gregorski, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Hi, during lockdown I really started to get into playing guitar again. I've had an acoustic for a while but only really dabbled. Now I'm feeling limited and want to play more of the music I really like (electric blues and rock). Previously had a Silver Series Squier Tele and always loved the simplicity of the design and controls.

Ironically I generally prefer strat tone but research tells me that a tele with a combination of Twisted Tele pickup in the Neck and a Nocaster pickup in the bridge will give me a good range of tones too.

Looking for something more toward the vintage end of specs. I have big hands with arthritis and struggle with slim necks. I know I need a fatter neck. I've tried American Pro (Deep C), American Original Strat (Soft V) and both were OK. U shaped neck would almost certainly work too. I found a custom shop tele with almost ideal combination of the above but I don't think I'd be able to do justice to it (although cost wise I could afford it). I know that I can always swap out pickups so I narrowed it down to some options. Looking for advice and whether I missed anything (also posted about amps in the amp forum)

Current options:

Vintera 50s Tele
    American Original 50s Tele (only one colour option)
    American Pro tele (looks like it might feel too modern)
    American Original Strat (I've played this and I know I'd like it even though its a strat so threw it in)

Have I missed anything worth looking at which fulfils those specs? Something more interesting than the standard 3 tone burst, black or white options would be good too. Thanks in advance!

2. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

The Vintera 50's mod telecaster used to be called the Baja telecaster. It has a pretty nice neck on it. I love mine.

3. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Isn't that a modern C shape though ? I know it probably has the right style of pickups. Also wasn't sure how I'd get on with the 4 way switch

4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Models with the "50s" identifier are chunky or more chunky than typical. The sixties models went skinny.

+1 I believe the Vintera is the Baja (for +$50).

The other option: get a used Baja 50s neck off Stratosphere/etc and then find a loaded body you like somewhere and assemble.

Twang Deluxe, SuprHtr and spurgie79 like this.
  5. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

I have a feeling I tried someone's Baja Tele once and it had a very pronounced V shaped neck.

6. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Also @spurgie79 said Vintera Modified which is slightly different. The standard Vintera has a U shaped neck and I thought the Modified one had a modern C. Hopefully she/he can confirm that or correct it.

7. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Mine is an old Baja and she's chunky with a slight V shape. Super comfy if you have big hands. As far as amps, the sky's the limit. Bugera and Marshall have built in power scaling options. I'm sure others do as well. The solid state modeling technology has come a long way as well.

8. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

Try tracking down a 50s Baja tele, then you'd have the neck you want and the pickup set you want (neck is twisted tele so that's strat-like and I'm pretty sure it has the nocaster bridge pickup) and you can always just swap the 4 way to a regular 3 way switch if you don't like those extra settings(it's very possible that that you might enjoy them though, on setting does a better job of giving you the strat quack sound than just putting a conventional tele in the middle position)

Or buy the standalone 51 fat U neck from fender and throw it on the body of your choice if the Baja sounds to small

IMadeYouReadThis and spurgie79 like this.
  9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Vintera 50's and 60's necks are 7.25 radius , thin profile . The 70's models are 9.50 radius and I believe a bit more meat as well. Specs per the Fender website. I've picked them up in the stores, they are very nice but I like thinner necks and the 7.25 radius.

Aso be aware, many define Chunky and a C profile differently.

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The Vintera 50s Modified still has the same soft V neck as the Baja 50s; the Vintera 60s Modified has somethey they all a "medium C", but the few that I've seen on dealer sites that have actual neck measurments it seems to be closer to the Modern C.

Gregorski and spurgie79 like this.
  11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you can afford the custom shop Tele you mentioned, don't worry about doing it justice; just enjoying having and playing it is what it's all about.

12. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Without going down the rabbit hole too far, it’s sad that in the last 20 years that you can’t really go to a local guitar store and play everything from a squire to a custom shop and try 20 of each model. Everything is on the internet now. It’s great that CNC has made everything more uniform. It’s just too bad that you don’t get to see the subtle variations of the Lake Placid Blue and feel the subtle variations on each particular neck of several guitars.

Maguchi, Gary135r and Bluesbird like this.
  13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Guitar Center is blowing out the first series of Fender American Pros right now.

Maguchi and spurgie79 like this.
  14. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

UK based I'm afraid :( our prices are higher... The only guitar store I've visited in the US is Chicago music exchange. It was amazing!

swervinbob likes this.
  15. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Yes, and its MUCH harder right now. Finding a store with all the options in stock is almost impossible to begin with. Finding it with the amps you want to try? No chance. And in the current times here the stores are appointment only and if you work during the week then you can forget it because weekends are booked up for weeks.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  16. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Curious if that soft V is the same soft V as the AO strat I tried. If so then I'm probably going to be good with that.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  17. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a few Strats in my quiver but the biggest Strat neck I've played is one that I've had Ron Kirn build for me. I think you'll be happy with the mod 50's Vintera. I'm looking at one myself but I have my eye on several guitars and I'm starting the one in/one out rule. I've got guitars that haven't been out in years at the point.

gregulator450 likes this.
  18. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

One in would be a start over here :)

spurgie79 likes this.
  19. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I have the same hands as you. my answer is.... partscaster. Wormoth has some good neck choices, including nut width. think about that one too. I just ordered a Modern/Vintage '59 Roundback with 1 & 11/16 nut for my current project (simi-Slimline, no F hole, P90 Phatcats, Bixby). tons of bodies and parts out there to pick what works for you

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

jscud likes this.
  20. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks for that. To be honest I was expecting to get flamed for even looking at custom shop guitars at this stage so appreciate the comment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.