First contacts at 60!

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ms. Nutz is jealous because she used to wear them but can no longer. I have worn bifocals for 20 and readers since college 40 years ago.

I’ll be completely honest; it’s a vanity thing for me, looking “younger” on stage and all that.

What say you? Who wears contacts? What’s the motivation?

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve worn contacts since I was 17. I hate glasses but I need a corrective lens. Only one working eye so I don’t need contacts but a contact

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Golf and handball, mostly.

I started wearing glasses in college. I played a lot of golf at the time and glasses added 5 stokes to my game. They slipped down my nose and messed with my depth perception. Contacts gave me my game back. I didn't need them to gig, so no vanity component.

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I got them for distance only in my mid-50s. It was to keep or bring back ability with sports that multi-focal lenses messed up. The one for close and one for far and bifocal contact trials didn't work. I carry reader glasses when I have the contacts on.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I still haven’t got proper glasses.
I can’t see anything without strong readers.
Congratulations on your new “cheaters”!

Jowes_84

Tele-Holic
I hate touching my eyes - and have been wearing thick, ugly buddy holly (now called Nerd) glasses since 1995 - and besides Offspring’s guitarist and Weezer’s singer they were pretty out of fashion back then - it did not get me all the looks I wanted from the opposite sex ;)
But when I moved to SoCal for a brief time of my life the very nice Lady at Walmart jammed them in for me so I could go to the beach and try surfing (not very successfully in the beginning) and manage to not die.
It only took half an hour for her to make me and my eyelids cooperate.
I gradually improved jam-in time and ever since I can touch my eyes no problem.
Great success!
I still only use them for sports
The glasses still live on my face probably until I am to old to put them on myself
Cheers

NC E30

Tele-Meister
Been wearing them nearly 40 years now except for a short time when I started needing progressive lenses. Currently have the multivision in one eye to act as a bifocal and a distance vision in the other. Was dizzy for a month when I started with the multivision, but don't even notice it now. When it rains, they don't get water spots on them, when I wear a mask they don't fog up, and I generally feel I can see better with them than my glasses.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm on the Mrs Nutz path. I'd been wearing contacts since around age 16, but have pretty much dropped them in the last few years. Because even with the bifocal ones, doc said he could make them good for either reading or distance, but not both. Since I'm on a computer all day, they just aren't practical - I end up with a headache.
I always wore them before because it was less to worry about when doing active things.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I wore contacts years ago in middle and high school. Ultimately I switched back to glasses. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle with contacts, besides now if I wanted them they would have to be hard ones.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I started wearing contacts a few years after college. I've never worn glasses. They make me feel vulnerable and incomplete. (That sounds a lot more neurotic than it is. Honest.) A few years ago, I my prescription was made slightly weak in one eye to help with reading the small print, and it has worked for me.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
wore glasses and contacts til I was 40. Got the wavefront lasik, never looked back. had them tune me to read computer screen and the rest as close to 2020 as possible. Took eyetest last summer 20/20...

I do where reading glasses for reading books... and I do have some issues in dark restaurants with small print, but overall... ditch the contacts and have them fix your eyes... best money I ever spent.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
At first reading of your thread title, I thought you ran into a space alien. 2 eyes, 4 eyes, it's all the same. Wear dark glasses indoors. You'll look cool. Maybe not young, but cool. And the blond at the end of the bar won't realize you're staring at her. And with your pupils dilated, you won't focus as well and she'll look younger.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Ms. Nutz is jealous because she used to wear them but can no longer. I have worn bifocals for 20 and readers since college 40 years ago.

I’ll be completely honest; it’s a vanity thing for me, looking “younger” on stage and all that.

What say you? Who wears contacts? What’s the motivation?
Sorry, I thought this was about UFO's and such.
Carry-on.

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
I've worn glasses since I can remember! I have trifocals which were necessary for doing my job of repairing hearing aids which I did for around 12 -15 years. Of course in addition it was necessary to also use a large magnifying device called a Magi-Lamp when working on circuit boards only about 1/4" square or smaller. Some people I employed could do it, and some just gave up on the initial interview even with the magnification.
When working at these levels when soldering, the shaking motion of one's hand was necessary to control which a lot of prospective applicants could not at all at the interviews for jobs.

DC

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I tried contacts years ago. No way can I wear them. I hate anything in my eyes.
I can barely wear a watch and I wont wear a ring.

I had my eyes fixed last year and am now 20/20 again. But I still need reading glasses.

Once I quit wearing glasses after 20 years I realized I have ugly bags under my eyes! Where did those come from? :lol:
Now I'm getting progressive reading glasses.... I may wear them all the time. No bags with glasses on!