1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Cab Build In Progress...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Natstrat79, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Well, been away from the DIY for awhile so it's about time for another project. This weekend I bought a nice set of dado blades for my table saw, a nice round over bit for the router, cheap harbour freight belt sander and orbital sander and started in on my first cabinet build.

I haven't decided exactly what I want it to be yet so I made the dimensions so that i have the option of two 10's side by side or two 12's diagonal. Right now I have a pair of eminence alnico 10's that I got for free that I think I am going to put in there. Covering will be tweed of course.

Will update as things progress. I need to unload a few things to free up some cash as I already blew the $100 I got from selling an old acoustic guitar to a family member who wants to learn...According to the wife that was my budget...I hope she doesnt read this and realize I'm more like 200 in the hole....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quintin

Quintin Tele-Meister

Nice, good luck, and looking forward to the progress

3. dever

dever Tele-Meister

Nice work. Feels good doesn't it, especially after routing those edges - that's when it starts looking like a real cab!

Which dado blades did you use, and what method did you use for spacing the fingers?

4. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Yeah i was a little nervous until I rounded over the edges. Before that like you said it hadn't started to look like a real cab yet. The dado blades i got from Lowes. They were on sale for $89 dollars, Frued model sd208 I believe. All the reviewers online seemed to think they were about the best you could get without spending twice that.

I used this article to build a jig for the table saw. http://www.newwoodworker.com/bxjntjig.html

5. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Well, got tired of waiting for the tweed, grill cloth, handles, and hardware for the extension cab to get here so I collected all my scraps from around the garage and decided to practice a little bit more....micro head for a champ sized amp.

[​IMG]

6. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Still waiting on more materials for the extension cab I started first. UPS tracking says it they should be here tomorrow and then I plan on trying to wrap this up. In the meantime...[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad photo it was taken with a cell phone

7. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Well tweed arrived yesterday and i decided to cover the sides first before i fit the baffle as I cant decide if i want it to fit flush or sit back a little bit. This way i can do a mock up with some of my pieces. Also still trying to perfect my tweed corners and covering. Not the easiest thing in the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just realized that I never updated with finished pics. Loaded the cab with a pair of Mojotone alnico's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great! How does that sound?

10. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Right now I only have a Vox ac4tv to drive it with. It sounds good with the Vox but only on the 4watt setting at higher volumes. It seems like the Vox just doesn't have the power to really get it to open up and the Mojo MP10R speakers aren't the best match for the Vox. I'm hoping to scrape some cash together around Christmas time to either build a head to go with it or I've also been looking at blackface tremolux heads.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.