1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First build underway

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jb12string, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

I started my first build tonight. My template isn't 100% finished, but the outline is done, which lets me at least lay out the shape on my wood. I found the wood I'm looking for for this build already in the shop.[​IMG]
    I cut into a little more manageable pieces to laminate 2 pieces into 1 thicker piece and laid out the outline on the panels to make sure I have enough room to get a body out of it and so I make sure I get good glue coverage over the body section.
    [​IMG]
    I glued up the panels but didn't get a picture of that because I didn't want to risk getting any glue on Mrs. 12string's camera. I had to find something to clamp the whole deal with, but I didn't have enough clamps handy to do it, so I went to the next best thing, I think it is going to workout ok. I put a piece of plywood on the floor, and laid my glued up "blank" on top of it
    [​IMG] Then parked it under 2450 pounds of salt. [​IMG] [​IMG] I think it will hold :)

2. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Very innovative clamping system! :)

3. jb12string

the slab came out from under the "clamp" yesterday. Looks good so far, just took a minute to pull it out and give it the once over and it looks good. I did panic a little on Friday night, I never thought to check and make sure there wasn't a stone imbedded in the wood or a nail head at a funky angle, since there wasn't room on the top for another sacrificial piece. In case anyone was wondering, yes, it is plywood. Yes, I know most guitars aren't built out of plywood. Yes, I do have something special in mind.

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

No worries mate :lol:, check these out LINK

5. MSquier

MSquier TDPRI Member

I am curious to see what you have in mind, I was thinking if I build one plywood would be an interesting body choice also. Why not?

6. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

You can get really cool 'grain' patterns on the edges where you might contour the body when you use plywood. I have redone a couple bullet plywood bodies and almost left one natural it looked so good without covering it up.

I started my first build a week or so ago using 2 - 3/4" pieces laminated together. The pieces were already smooth and sanded so I won't be sacrificing thickness beyond the 1 1/2" I have to start with. Plywood offers a lot of choices. I need a pallet jack... :D

Did you make your own template?

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I am over thinking the neck and just need to start that part of it.

7. jb12string

Got some more work done today, routed the body and marked it up
    [​IMG]
    Drilled a couple of small holes
    [​IMG]
    Then a couple of bigger ones, and did a little more with the router, before I had to wrap up for the day. Didn't get as far as I wanted to, but tomorrow's another day, and I have a real light schedule at work...
    [​IMG]

In other related news, I am trying to figure out what to do for a neck. I was thinking about doing a Guitar Fetish neck, but I am partial to skunk stripes, which I don't think the Guitar Fetish necks have, but at 40 bucks for an unfinished paddle headstock, its tempting, but I've heard various reports on the quality. Warmoth has the vintage modern neck, but it runs $157, plus a couple of bucks for a nut. If I get the warmoth, my total will probably be about 235 or so for the build, with guitar fetish, I am probably at 120 or less.

8. kermito

kermito TDPRI Member

Nice to see another plywood build on here. Makes me feel less of an oddball...
    Looking good so far!

9. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

What size Forstner bit was used there, Jb - 2"?

10. jb12string

The majority was 2 1/8th, did some with a 2" and some was 1 1/2" with a few small ones thrown in for good measure

11. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

Sorry I should have said the largest size - the others were dwarfed by that babies tracks. :)

12. jb12string

It made things go quick, that's for sure.

13. crazydave911

The GFS neck would be fine, as good as any Squier Affinity I've seen. Of course you could drop by Home Depot, get a piece of maple, a 3/16" rod and build one ;)

14. jb12string

I've thought of it, but then I'd need a fret saw, and probably a fret scale, and radius blocks... At this point, I am not sure how many guitars I'm going to build, so not sure I want to make that kind of investment at this point.

15. jb12string

BTW, didn't get anything done today. Maybe tomorrow...

16. JCJCJC

JCJCJC Tele-Holic

The best of luck with your project, whatever it is! My guess is that the word 'veneer' will appear here eventually.

On GFS necks - I've used one, generally happy with it - minor niggle with one nut slot being too wide leading to poor sound on the open string, easy enough to fix with a new nut. Just be careful to allow for the shipping when you are comparing suppliers and prices, GFS are a little bit sharp...they have to make a living somewhere.

JC

17. jb12string

I think I'm going with a warmoth vintage modern 1-piece maple with a standard thin back and straight 9.5 radius. I think I've worked it out with the accounting department:rolleyes: As far as "veneer", hopefully that goes on tomorrow morning before work. Once it does, I think the direction of the project will be revealed. I did get the routs cleaned up yesterday, the picture is on the wife's camera and I don't feel like dealing with just one picture tonight.

18. crazydave911

Here's what your looking at in an investment. Get a dowel flushcut saw from Harbor Freight-9$, it's already .023, perfect for fretwire from Stew-Mac, Grizzly, and many others. My first radius block was a piece of cupped pine shelving I bought at Home Depot. When I bought it, the cashier kept asking me if I wanted to go back and get a "good piece" :lol:. I ripped a piece out of the center 3" wide, 12" long. Sure it was a random radius, about 11 1/2" +/- if I recall, but close enough for government work, cost 5$. Roll of "Stickit" 80 grit sandpaper-10$ (my greatest expense). And fret rule? Just clone an existing neck on a guitar you know that plays well. The best fret rule I still have, is a firring strip (1$), marked from a really sweet playing First Act (of all things), 25 1/2" scale, 22 frets. So if it's a 25 1/2 scale, with that I can make a 25 1/2", 24", 22 3/4" scale. All for the outrageous price of 25$ :)

Dave

19. crazydave911

BTW, and if it's not, you don't have to say what it is, but your nickname doesn't represent a J.B. Player 12 string does it? I happen to have one of those rare birds, and it is the loudest and richest 12 string I've ever heard, much less owned, and I've had a few :)

20. jb12string

nope, that's not what the JB is for. My 12 string is an alvarez acoustic, the first "real" guitar I got. My first guitar was an Epi acoustic with a ridiculously high action. Of course, that was because the original bridge broke, so we put a new one on, with a new saddle and didn't bother to file the saddle, in my defense, I was probably 14 and didn't know any better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.