1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First build suggestion

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by matt117, Jan 9, 2021.

1. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Looking to build an amp this year.
    I really want to build an amp I’ll enjoy playing as well as a learning tool for tinkering with.

I’d really like to bypass doing a simple champ and go right into a push pull power section, with tmb controls also.

ideally I’d love to build a cross between a fender and vox.

vox front end and maybe a fender power section to get the bigger warm lows and low mids. Perhaps a vibrolux power section as that’s the lowest wattage 6l6 fender.

I want an amp that goes from sparkly/chimy clean to creamy drive. While giving the low end and authority the large iron has bandwidth wise.

Has anyone built any such style amp?

*Disclaimer*
    Yes I’m aware of the danger inside amps, I know how to discharge caps, I’ve got a few books under my belt, uncle Doug’s been great and so is rob r. I am at the point where some hands on will help me take concepts and terms and put them to material.

thanks!

goonie, Boreas and sds1 like this.
  2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Build your dream amp as described. We'll help you get it done.

Since you are essentially designing an amp you should start by drawing a schematic. You will learn a ton and gain confidence just from doing that. Then post it here for peer review.

Enjoy and good luck!

King Fan likes this.
  3. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Thanks!
    Good to hear that I did not sound too crazy. I’ll start the process! And without a doubt I’ll have a lot of questions!

4. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

It will be more difficult to do what you want, but not impossible. I recently did a mashup of 3 different fender designs and I got it working, but had some issues that were harder to find because I did not follow an existing design.

I'm not familiar with Vox amps, but it seems like the Vibrolux would be a good starting point for what you want.

I agree with SDS1, work up a schematic.

Good Luck

King Fan, matt117 and sds1 like this.
  5. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, this is always a risk even for more experienced builders.

Also risky is copying schematics off the internet haha.

A good policy is to simply accept that the build will need tweaked at the end, whether it be to taste or to work out some technical issue(s). If you can identify risky parts of the build in advance, even better, this way you can buy extra parts to have on hand, and leave space in your layout, etc. as necessary.

@matt117 FYI snapping a known preamp + power amp together is a very low risk approach to design, you are in a good place. :)

Mongo Park, King Fan and matt117 like this.
  6. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

FWIW it's the vox preamp that's cutting out those lows and low mids, not the power amp.

The only difference between a fender and a vox power amp is most fenders uses negative feedback and most voxes don't. That changes how tight or loose it feels, but you can easily put this on a dial or switch to get both sounds.

King Fan likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When brainstorming, perhaps you should consider 2 separate channels - one for Fender tones, one for VOX tones, and perhaps something to blend the two. I would have no clue how to do that, or if it is even possible. But if you are going to invent a new sound, this may be a way to do it.

8. SKEsq

SKEsq TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Maybe not exactly what you want to do, but I built the RR800 which is pretty great. That said, @robrob's website is an invaluable tool/resource. Whatever you build, enjoy it and play the crap out of it.

Edit: I saw you noted visiting Rob's site.

9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great start and super ideas here already. My $.02: Building amps is super fun. Most folks find one is not enough. Designing amps is a whole second layer -- call it grad school.

So I might build myafirst amp to learn about amp-building itself -- 97% of the build skills and amp function learning can come from any amp. I'd build a known PP design that's not too complex. At max, graft on a TMB tone stack -- and let that give you practice drawing layouts and schematics. Then I'd have a fun amp to play (possibly mod a bit) while I took my time and had fun with designing and building Amp II.

10. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

As above past a preamp to a power section should not be that hard, get it working then you can tweak it to taste.
    Lots of smart minds here to help get the two parts pasted together.
    I like it go for it.

sds1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.