First build: Picklecaster, a poplar Telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by brandonh, Dec 30, 2018.

1. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Do you have any pics? The can of Cayman I saw at Pep Boys looks more blue-green than the Metal Specks green. It's a nice color, and I bet it would look great on a guitar.

IMG_7323.jpg

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I painted a guitar with it, but I have to remember that I used Silver Sparkle underneath and that gave it a lighter shade. Also the Caymen Green looks more green than Blue with the right lighting. The caps definitely look different from each other. The Caymen Green cap in your pic looks more blue than green for sure.
    2 pics and you can see the lighting differences in it.

Attached Files:

brandonh likes this.
  3. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Cool! That looks like it was a fun project. I see what you mean about the color similarities, especially the first pic. I've taken a bunch of reject pictures of this body because my phone camera doesn't always get an accurate fix on the color.

4. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

It dawned on me that I'll need a place to put this thing when the build is over. I saw a wall hanger I liked, but it was $60. I saw another one I liked on Etsy, but the shop is closed. So I put a few designs together, rooted through the scrap bin, and came up with this.

01.jpg
    This is an off-cut from the dining room table I made a few years ago. It was too pretty to throw away. My shop buddy decorated the peghead template.

02.jpg
    The Diston dates to 1917, made the same year as my Grandpa.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

I only used hand tools until I got to this step. I decided to go the quick way and and used a plug cutter + drill press for the counter sunk hole and plug. This will be drilled through drywall into a stud.

09.jpg
    Trimming the plug. I like maple accents on Walnut. I did the dining room table with pegged tenons and used maple pegs for that. The plug will be covered when the guitar is hanging.

10.jpg
    I sanded through 320 grit. This is the first coat of Tru-Oil.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

I decided to install the tuners today.

3-25-1.jpg
    Reaming out the built up finish.

3-25-6.jpg
    The ferrules needed some persuasion even after reaming out the holes, but nothing split.

3-25-2.jpg
    Hit the screws with paraffin wax.

3-25-3.jpg
    3-25-4.jpg
    3-25-5.jpg
    It looks like I passed my first geometry test. I hope the bridge screws and string through-holes play this nice.

awasson, Zepfan and Bristlehound like this.
  6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Brandon, that is looking great! I admire your patience.

brandonh likes this.
  7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Fantastic job Brandon. I’ve just re read through this entire thread to catch up. Such dedication and patience, and some good saves along the way. I admired your determination to redo the neck - probably not something in my make up! :D

We’ll see how I go soon with my first neck(s) attempts. :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work - can’t wait to see it finished!

Ps - great looking wall hanger too!

brandonh likes this.
  8. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Thanks! I’m dying to get the body down, polished, and set up. At least another week, ugh...

Thanks! If I knew at the start everything that would go wrong, I never would have started. Who says ignorance and stubbornness are bad? They’ve gotten me this far in the build :)

9. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Time to do the last 10%...
    4-1-1.jpg

4-1-2.jpg
    Wet sanding. I still need to do a final buff out before I install the strings and pick guard.

4-1-3.jpg
    Ferrules installed with the help of a soldering iron. I had read to do this but didn't really understand the need for it until it was time to actually do the thing. A little heat was all they needed to sink right in!

4-1-4.jpg
    Bridge next. The horizontal screw is killing me.

4-1-5.jpg
    Drilling the neck holes.

4-1-6.jpg
    The neck was slightly askew, so I loosened the screws, gave it a good whack, and now the treble side isn't fretting out. Leo really knew what he was doing!

4-1-7.jpg
    So close!

4-1-8.jpeg
    I'm auditioning tips. I think I have a preference. What do you like?

Sidebar: I'm really happy with the way the guitar looks with the pearl pick guard. My only regret is that I didn't do white binding. At the beginning I thought it would be too hard. By the time I plucked courage to do it, I'd already put on the roundover rout and primer. Next build...

4-1-9.jpg
    I decided to string it up before I install the neck pickup and pick guard. This was mostly because it looked so much like a guitar and I wanted to play it! You can see I had to pull the saddles back to get the right intonation. I've only done the leftmost saddle in this picture. I was letting the ruler trip me up trying to get the right distance. I left it up to my ears and got it done.

I was thrilled to get that first strum in, even in this unfinished state. It really rings out! I am going to have a lot of fun with this electric guitar! I haven't gotten that feeling out of any of the guitars I've noodled around with at the guitar store in my little recon "how did Leo do it?" trips. And it doesn't have anything to do with pride or ego--it just sounds great to my ears in a way that others haven't. I'm even a little worried that I won't be able to play it unplugged in the living room when the sprout goes to bed because it rings out so well.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. Three tasks remain: install the nut, wire up the electronics, and dial in the setup. Hopefully it'll all be done in the next few days. Hot damn, I want to be playing right now!

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

awasson and brandonh like this.
  11. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Oh, that's perfect! I didn't see a white barrel tip at StewMac so I assumed they didn't exist :lol: I like the shape of the Strat tip if it was larger in size, and the top hat is too big/too close to the knob. I have a black barrel tip and like it except for the color -- has to be white for this guitar.

While I'm here, I can't quite wrap my head around what I need to do to get the nut installed. I have a flat bottomed-groove in the fret board and a flat bottomed Tusq-XL nut, with pre-slotted string slots. The nut is too tall for the groove i.e. the action is way too high. I'd like to take material off of the square end rather than messing around with cutting slots myself.

Sure enough, there's no stone un-turned here at TDPRI. Is this what I need to do to solve the problem? http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tips-on-installing-a-pre-cut-nut.258435/#post-3040921

If I'm reading that link right, I figure out the fret height, add clearance, take that measurement down from the lowest slot already on the Tusq nut, mark and square a line at that point across the width of the nut, then sand up from the bottom of the nut to the line. Is that right?

If I botch it, I have a backup nut, a set of feeler gauges, and a set of Hosco nut files, just to cover my bases.

awasson likes this.
  12. Zepfan

It looks great. You paint also has some color shift in it like mine, some pics have a blue-ish tint, some bright green and others dark green. Just not as blue or dark as mine.;)

brandonh likes this.
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, the white barrel is the one. If not that, then the Strat.

I’ve only done a couple of Tusq pre-slotted nuts and I sanded from the bottom to get the right height before gluing in. It didn’t require a lot of sanding to get it dialled in.

By the way, that looks great. I like the white twine around the bridge pickup too. Nice attention to detail.

brandonh likes this.
  14. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

It's finally done! May I present Picklecaster, a poplar Telecaster:

4-4-1.jpg 4-4-2.jpg 4-4-3.jpg 4-4-4.jpg 4-4-5.jpg 4-4-6.jpg 4-4-7.jpg 4-4-8-.jpg

Started 11/10/18, completed 4/3/19. 8lbs 12oz. It's wired up, tuned up, and ready for fun!

Everyone at our house--even the cat--is sick except for me, so I haven't had any real time to play yet. My initial impressions are two: first, it's got a nice deep tone, really lovely; second, the sustain just goes and goes and goes.

Thanks to everyone that's commented, liked, and looked at this project. The encouragement really pushed me along. Much gratitude to all of you who have posted build threads and tutorials. TDPRI was really the only resource I used for the project, so it's safe to say I could't have done it without you mad geniuses!

Holy crap! I made a guitar! I'm so glad I took this on! I'll do a project summary in a few days when I've had some time to reflect on the build process and noodle around more.

Muinarc, RickyRicardo, Zepfan and 5 others like this.
  15. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Man, fantastic job! Enjoyed getting to follow along with you. Also learned a lot for future builds, thanks for sharing

brandonh likes this.
  16. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Looks great!
    Cheers,
    Woody

brandonh likes this.
  17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Beautiful.

brandonh likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Looks fantastic, you did a great job.

brandonh likes this.
  19. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks great!! I love the color.

brandonh likes this.
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

eq2vzm.gif

brandonh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.