First Build-Les Paul Junior DC

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by JRtele, May 27, 2020.

1. JRtele

JRtele TDPRI Member

Decided to start this while I was away for work for a couple months and have no had the time at home to finish. While away I Didn’t have access to a lot of tools or supplies (like grain filler or quality sandpaper) but made do.

It’s an ultimateguitar custom kit (which I do not recommend whatsoever), I’ve got a lot of pictures of how a $500 kit should not come. I also did not plan this out well. Lots of lessons learned.

All said and done, with the higher end parts I put in including Gibson P-90, Emerson pre-wired kit and Ratio tuners this has been quite the money pit.... good to be done one all the same
    24A4AC1A-A4C8-4FFE-89A9-4ADC5861009F.jpeg BB1F2F3A-6A85-40F4-977F-39244178E4E2.jpeg 6F9B8EFF-6007-41FA-9C41-7FEB58CA65BE.jpeg

2. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

Sweet!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

More of a Melody Maker-style body tho, right? Excepting the full-size headstock.

Absolutely gorgeous no matter what you call it.

JRtele likes this.
  4. JRtele

JRtele TDPRI Member

“Les Paul Junior double cutaway” is what the kit was called... not sure.

Pretty wild how much an old school P-90 screwed into the wood will buzz and hum with a little gain (actually pretty ideal to play some simple/classic green day riffs). Gives me a new appreciation for humbuckers and shielding.

5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Looks nice, but that string-tree thing sort brings to my mind everyone's favorite Gibson headstock:

[​IMG]

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I love double cutaway Juniors. :D:D

7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

Melody Makers have the knobs,Jack and pickup mounted to a pickguard. The kit built here is more like a late 50 DC Junior but the shape is different.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Pretty.
    I’m on the fence about kit guitars.
    Seems like you really do it for the experience, not so much a cost savings.
    That about right?

9. JRtele

JRtele TDPRI Member

Correct. I replaced every single part from the kit Except neck, rear cover plate, and body (some of which I had paid extra for to get certain colours). The body was terrible, even the cavity needed routing to accept the pickup.

The neck was in such terrible shape I needed to bring it to a luthier. Some frets needed replacing altogether and the fretboard wood itself cracked at the higher end.

My total cost was about 150% the cost of a brand new Gibson LP jr DC. Is it worth that for the experience? Maybe, but the frustrations were real.

985plowboy likes this.
  10. JRtele

JRtele TDPRI Member

I think some kits can end up well, and there is the matter of pride and accessibility to people that don’t have access to tools to craft body/neck, but I would strongly discourage anyone from ultimateguitar.com

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am in the throes of finishing a kit that could have been better quality, myself (a StewMac SG-ish affair). You did a good job. It looks great & I love the Made in Quaranteen label.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.