First build in 5 years, figured walnut, rosewood, ebony ash

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by clarkscustoms, Mar 26, 2017.

Pickguard?

1. No pickguard let the walnut do its thing

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Pickguard only

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Pickguard and control plate

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. clarkscustoms

clarkscustoms TDPRI Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This is my first build in a long time. Trying to relearn what I have forgotten. I had a couple necks made by USACG with my lumber and made the body myself.. Not perfect but it's going well... I just cannot decide on the pick guard or control plate... What you think? No pick guard or control plate, just the pick guard or just the body as is?

2. clarkscustoms

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg More pics

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Love the pickguard, I would recess it down in the body. I'm not sure about the control plate tho. Either way it's a beautiful guitar.

RevBillyG likes this.
  4. clarkscustoms

If I keep the control plate it will be 1/2" shorter in length

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Like James said I'd recess that pickguard down in the body , I would look for something else for the control plate , to my eye its too distracting, draws eyes away from the walnut and the pickguard . What ever you do with it you've got a winner , beautiful woods .

6. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Let the walnut show.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

If I had to have a control plate, I would use chrome. If you are doing wood or nothing I would go with nothing. My two cents. :)

8. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I'd build another one so I could have one with the pick guard & one without.

Crafty Fox and Muzikp like this.
  9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Lol, Yeh and another two with and without guard and humbuckers, and another two with and without guard and filtertrons, and another two......

RevBillyG and awasson like this.
  10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe chrome plate, but wow, that's going to be a beauty. That desk looks like it'll make a few good guitars too.

11. clarkscustoms

I do have 4 more tops like this, 2 mahogany body blanks, a swamp ash one piece and a roasted ash... But only one more neck. I have made necks but after seeing and feeling this USACG the quality is unbelievable

12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I voted no pickguard. I'm biased. I'm building one walnut without a guard as well. It's beautiful wood. Why hide it?

13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Beautiful guitar!!!! So did you work out which remote does the volume and the tone????

DC ;)

14. clarkscustoms

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I just want to make the disclaimer I am not a professional guitar builder by any means... This is my first guitar build in years. But I am slowly making progress.

I got the neck attached tonight. Made a few little mistakes along the way but it will be fine.

Thought I would give the specs and show my progress.

Neck was made USA Custom Guitas from wood I have stashed away for years.

Neck: Honduran rosewood, curly gaboon ebony fretboard, jumbo gold evo frets, mop side dots, no face dots

Body: one piece of somewhat figured swamp ash with a Claro walnut top I cut from some lumber I got at a garage sale in rough cut form

Hardware: satin chrome staggered hipshot machines, satin stainless hipshot bridge, custom wound esquire pickup I had handmade 10 years ago, solid brass electro socket, knobs, strap buttons all made in the USA... Not shown, this will be getting a satin hipshot b bender with drop d tuner and Palm lever too hence the no back ferrules

I just wanted to try and build the guitar I always dreamed about, this one is getting really close!!!

Any advice opinions etc is always welcome!

RevBillyG, Mat UK and awasson like this.
  15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

looks sweet, the hipshot hardware is bitchin' If it were me, I'd do what I just did and get some swell custom knobs from hipshot for the tuners. but I don't like those big gumby head looking knobs that come on their guitar tuners stock. I didn't think I liked their tele bridge until I saw your on that guitar, It looks great. It looks like it has a satin finish on it to me. Is that just the light. If it were me I'd get a control plate that is finished identically to the bridge. It's a shame you couldn't have cut a controls plate from the top and use that. I think the flame maple on top of the walnut is a bit too much personally. It reminds me kind of like hanging a picture on a wall with a mural painted on it. I really love the contrast of the ash body with the dark neck on the back.

Sweet guitar!!! nice job.

16. clarkscustoms

Thanks tons man. Yeah it's the first satin hipshot tele bridge they have done. Looks much better then their polished ones. When I first called them they were not even sure if it would turn out. But it's incredible. They bead blasted the bridge and saddles. I am going to be having a custom satin b bender setup on it to match!

Here is a closeup of the bridge it's dirty in the pic but normally it has a perfect satin sheen to it

Attached Files:

17. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I guess I have the unpopular opinion, but I think you should have the pickguard. Leaving it off to see more walnut is like refusing to serve wine with dinner because you think it will detract from the meat.

18. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I also prefer the pickguard look. (And metal control plate.) Teles look weird without a pickguard.

19. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar! I love the look of the pickguard, but the control plate not so much for some reason. Whatever you decide to do, it's going to turn out amazing.

20. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

Chrome control plate and that beautiful pickguard IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.