First Build Dano/Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RattlesnakeJohn, Nov 1, 2013.

1. RattlesnakeJohn

RattlesnakeJohn TDPRI Member

Being a fan of both Danelectro and Telecasters I thought "What if?" Then I saw sjohnbruton's thread on building just that and a lot of pushing from my son I said lets give it a whirl. I had the T. Downs drawing CNC'd for me at work. [​IMG]
    Digging around in the shop at work I came across some one inch ply and some quarter inch hardboard. [​IMG]
    So I guess it's on. As for my neck I'm still debating on using some wild cherry that I reclamed many years ago or some maple that I can get from work. I think I might even have a peice or two of poplar.
    Hope to get started on the body today.So in advance I want to say thanks because I'm real sure I will be asking for a whole lot of help with this.

2. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a good build coming our way!

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ;)

4. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

I'm just getting to the finishing stages of a danelectro inspired ply/hardboard construction myself. It's been pretty easy stuff to work with so far, you just need to be really carefuly with the edges of the hardboard. It dents pretty easily, I ended up using some wood hardener to toughen it up and its been fine since.

Can't wait to see the updates!

Sean

5. crazygtr

crazygtr TDPRI Member

I'm in!!

6. RattlesnakeJohn

I got the framework and top rough cut. Should be gluing uo today, if I can find all my clamps. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top is a bit rough on the cuts, But it will all clean up. Will get the back on when I figure out the controls and and access to them. I leaning on a rear cover but a scratch plate such as what sjohnbruton did is also really cool. Any thoughts???

7. RattlesnakeJohn

Well the body is together. It came out pretty lite at less than four pounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having to make a new neck pocket template. I was coing to carve a neck for this thing but I came across a no name Strat
    style neck today. The neck has a few nicks here and there but the frets are good and it feels good in my hand.

8. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

:cool::cool: This looks like a great project.

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

very nice. I just put one of these on my bucket list. :cool:

10. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Glad to see I inspired your project! It looks great so far. At the rate I'm going, you will likely finish before me!

11. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

i have always wondered about the ridgidity of the neck pocket? does it and will it hold up being plywood? one of these builds are on my list for this winter.

12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I'd love to do a simple (no offence) build like this. I love the idea of just using plywood and layering it.

13. RattlesnakeJohn

No offence taken Bentley. That's one of the reasons I chose this type of project.Secondly was the cost. all materials so far cost $0.00. Even the patterns were free. I guess that's one of the perks of working at a commercial cabinet shop. The third reason for this is if I mess up to bad,I'm not out a whole lot.

14. RattlesnakeJohn

Here is a mock up of the thing. You can see where I got a bit careless with the router. Oh Well, a bit of bondo,some wood filler and some scrap and it should be good as new

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Now this is interesting. Keep the posts coming!!!

16. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Dude! You totally stole my idea! :D Well, I would have done one or two things different...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  17. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

Can't get enough of these builds! Nice work!

Side question - Tatercaster - is that Peter Buck's Rick 360 in your profile pic?

18. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

19. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Yes, it is

20. RattlesnakeJohn

I am going with two P/Us. Still debating on lipsticks or not. The sound hole measures 3 1/8". Actually I traced around my coffee cup. Truly scientific. I might have to make some blocks for the p/u screws or move the p/u a bit farther forward in the hole. Originally I was going to carve a neck, but I came across a no name strat neck I was going to use then I ended up with this tele type paddlehead neck. I decided on the tele neck since it matched my router pattern. You can see the heel of it in the pics. As far as color goes, I was thinking something like this but in metallic.

[​IMG]

I finally got the body repair going. it's just yellow glue and sawdust mixed to a paste. I taped the neck of with clear tape, brushed some glue into the messed up area then I goob the paste into the brushed on glue. Then I inserted the neck. Should come out pretty good.(Fingers crossed) Here is what the repair looks like so far. Excuse the blurry pic.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.