First build budget pickups, have I made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Marn99, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Hey everyone,
    So I ordered the pickups for my Walnut Telecaster today, they're guitarfetish '63 professional series, with standard wound. When I bought them, I was quite confident in them, they have Alnico polepieces, enameled winding, wrapped in string, beeswax potted, and push back cloth wires. They look so good, and their construction looks correct to the vintage, and were on sale for 29.95 to boot. Feeling very confident in my purchase, I looked up some reviews of guitarfetish.com's other pickups. Surprise! they were pretty hit or miss, and to make matters worse, the one pickup set that I couldn't find an independent review for was, you guessed it, their '63 standard wound pro series pickups. Does anyone know anything about them? are they passable? Keep in mind that these will probably be swapped out by me sooner or later, but I want a pickup set that will do fine for now.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

They will do fine for you. You can push their tone around with careful selection of your pots and caps. Many pickup reviewers are dropping one pickup after another into the same sketchy ten bucks worth of mangled electronics.

If you want bright sparkle then rummage through a batch of pots with a meter and use the highest kohm you can measure. If you want more highs through even with the tone pot at ten then go with smaller uF caps. Tele's I tend to go high end 250k or low to medium 500k actual measured values and 0.033uF tone caps. Use alligator clips and try them out. A whole lot easier and cheaper than swapping pickups. If a pickup is excessively muddy you may need to put a cap in series with its hot lead. Pickup height and balance between the pickups are important.

I have one Tele that was never inspiring and I thought I'd mess around with it and see if I could improve it before selling. A tone cap change made all the difference and I still have that guitar. Others have required volume pot changes, series caps, and different tone pots. And I've stopped flipping pickups.

tubejockey, Asmith and Marn99 like this.
  3. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

I'm using CTS pots and orange drop caps.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It will probably be an easier assessment after you have them installed. The internet is full of opinions. The only one that counts is the one you have after hearing them.

Get out a screwdriver, adjust the pickup heights before you dive into the electronics.

People have spent a lot more on pickups and not been totally satisfied with the results.

Not sure there's one pickup set out there that completely everyone agrees on.

Good luck, think positive.;)

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What type of music are you playing these days?
    Sometimes that dictates the anticipation of your new pups.

Btw, Did you mean the '63 Vintage Wound pups?

They say it's a pretty good match to the original vintage pup
    they copied it from. Should sound nice!

Marn99 likes this.
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I have both GFS vintage 60s and 50s (different guitars, one wrapped in white cloth), and they're damn, damn good.

You have nothing to worry about, except your own mind, which will probably eventually convince you to upgrade your pups for those at 3 times the price.

I have two SDs close to $100 each nowadays. One belongs in the garbage, and the other isn't near as good as the $35 GFS.

tubejockey, Marn99 and studio like this.
  7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

You should be just fine!

Don't let the name of "normal wound" fool you though.

Today's process give pup manufacturers a great advantage
    in dialing in certain sounds.

i have a hot vintage set from another maker, and then I have their normal set.
    The hot set is indeed hot and nasty, but the sweeter sounds come from the
    normal set offering great chime and clarity. Sometimes even a little getting used to
    cuz they sound so crispy! But dirty them up a little and they be mean sounding!

telemnemonics and Marn99 like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Players who find stuff they like from budget vendors will probably have different opinions from players who cannot find stuff they like from budget vendors.
    This is kind of human nature.

I'm sure they will work for making music, you might like them, and they will be worth what you paid.

I have used all sorts of cheap and expensive pickups, though never the highest price boutique stuff.
    Most of the time I buy used and Tele pickups are pretty cheap.
    Duncans and Fenders can be had for $25-$35.

I like what I like and after almost 40 years of playing it's pretty specific.
    How much high end (or overall EQ) is not the whole picture, so different pots and caps might not make a mediocre pickup sound great for your needs.
    It might help though.

No need to worry about spending $30 on a set.
    After some weeks of playing time you might figure out what you wish was different about them and then try to find pups that fit your expectations better.

The most expensive pickups will not sound good to you if they are the wrong sound.

Marn99 likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I totally agree and consider a "normal", "stock", or "vintage" wind to be the best for almost any sound you might need.
    Tele winds get crazy though and sometimes a hot overwound coil is called a "vintage" wind in reference to the rare blackguard pickup wound fairly full of 43awg for 9-10k ohms resistance.
    I prefer 42awg wound to between 6.3 and 6.8k ohms.
    More coil and the low end loses clarity.
    Less coil and the high end gets thin and harsh.
    YMMV!

studio and Marn99 like this.
  10. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

I've had GFS humbuckers and Mean 90s. They were both nice. Never had their Fender pickups. But should be fine. If they don't do it and you want a cheap set, get the pre 2006 MIM ones. I don't know how far back they used the same design but the early 00 ones are nice. The bridge pickup does what a Tele bridge pickup does. Real well. It has no metal baseplate. I think that effects it slightly, but not much. Neck pickup is one of the nicest Tele neck pickups I've had. Alnico 5 magnets are on both of those.

Marn99 likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I took a shot and bought 50's Professionals for my Strat.
    I'm thrilled with them.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Old thread!

But you bought GFS?

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did!
    I took a shot...figuring if they made all that effort to use the right stuff and make them spec out so well...maybe they'll actually sound good, too.
    The disclaimer is, I have some killer amps that virtually anything sounds good through; but I could't like the TexMex pickups in my JV.

14. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I love the Lil Puncher pickups in my tele. I've never had bad luck with GFS. As others have mentioned it depends what style you are playing. I don't play clean ever so I can play most hot pickups. If I were playing jazz or country that would be another story. I use hot 10k-16k so GFS has great stuff for that. I can't tell too much of a difference between the Duncan and Dimarzio clones out there.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Some people here can't understand how much I rave about GFS pups at these ridiculously low prices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.