First Build: Ash, Whitewash, Tru-Oil

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Quake-caster, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Whenever I buy guitars, I actually sand out the finish in all the body cavities, and remove the cover for the springs on strats. It's supposed to give it more sustain and a better tone. I do believe I noticed a difference. The only thing to be worried about is moisture getting in.

2. Quake-caster

Quake-caster Tele-Meister

Thanks Bentley! Maybe I'll give it just a little varnish to be on the safe side and then call it a day.

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

That's a good idea, I just did it with a cheap guitar as a test, but better not risk moisture exposure with your lovely guitar.

4. Quake-caster

So I finished enlarging the tuner holes using the rat tail file. As you can see, the holes are not exactly completely round, but the tuners are lined up nice.

The neck pocket holes are not lined up, so only two of the screws work. I put some Dap plastic wood in the other holes and will drill two new holes in the neck tomorrow.

Might be making noise this week!

Attached Files:

5. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with putting some finish in there, but you will likely never get the body fully sealed (wiring holes, jack hole, etc.). Acoustics and hollowbodies have a lot more unfinished surface area anyway.

It's looking great! I started with a whitewash layer for my Butterscotch Blonde tele and I was sorely tempted to just stop right there. Highly under-rated look look, in my opinion.

6. Quake-caster

Thanks Hack! I put a thin coat of Tru-oil on last night and one this morning. But I didn't do the neck pocket, because it's really tight as is. Your comment about acoustics is reassuring.

7. Quake-caster

Well, that's weird! Last night the holes didn't line up, so I filled two of the in with Dap plastic wood and a toothpick. So I just went to put the screws in, just to mark where to drill, and they went in no problem! Glad I did a poor job of filling the holes...

Attached Files:

8. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Looking good, you said you did two coats of white wash? first one sanded down? Did you find the second coat of whitewash gave it a richer colour? Thanks for your time.

9. Quake-caster

Hi Jay- I did two coats on the first attempt, but then sanded it mostly off because of the raised grain and the sticking to the newspaper. The second time around I did two more coats. The second coat definitely gave it a richer color both times. I tried to follow the directions on the can by wiping it off after 2-3 minutes each time with a clean rag.

If I had it to do over, I think I would use the pre-treatment that Minwax recommends. The stain came out a little splotchy. Or maybe Swamp Ash isn't the best wood for this kind of stain? I'm not really sure.

Thanks!

10. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your reply Quake, was thinking of doing a simular whitewash on a tele body i have and i think yours has come out very well indeed. When you sanded back did the whitewash really sink into the ash?

11. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Hi Quake, Excellent first build with a lot of research on what components to use. Should be a great guitar!

I see in your pictures that you have not sanded the body yet. If you had not planned on it, I would suggest that you do as it will really smooth out the body. Many theories on this but I would start with 600 and stay away from the edges then go to 1000 and 1500.

12. Quake-caster

Jay, it didn't really sink in evenly. Some parts have less whitewash, especially the edges. So far I have not posted any pix showing that, but I will tonight. Not to sound negative, I'm really happy with it, but there are a few spots...

Hi onenotetom, thanks for the advice! I didn't know about sanding like that. I'll give it a try. So, three grades of sandpaper- 600, 1000 and 1500. I have only ever dry sanded. Should I wet them, if so, with what? Thanks again!

13. Quake-caster

Here is a picture of an edge that doesn't have much whitewash.

Attached Files:

14. Quake-caster

So I decided to put it together, see if it will make some noise, then finish up the last few things later. Here is my new soldering station.

Attached Files:

15. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Is your neck plate upside down? The holes should be tapered to receive the screw heads.

16. Quake-caster

Doh! Thanks Mightyaxeman. I appreciate it.

17. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

You can actually get by with 600 and 1500. I use water with a little dish soap. Use half sheets folded in thirds and keep it flat. Four fingers on the paper with a short end between your thumb and pointer. Then use an auto polish for the finish. Meguirs, 3m, and others that say fine scratch remover or swirl remover. Once again, do the edges last. If you sand thru, give it a couple more coats. I use tru oil on my necks and sand between coats.

18. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

No problem. Looks good.

19. Quake-caster

Thanks guys!

The guitar is together. I still have to do the string tree, strap buttons, sand and polish, flip the neck plate, etc... But it sounds sweet! I'm really happy with it.

I was pretty confused by the wiring diagram, but between the ACME guitar works instructions, and the Bill Lawrence website, got it done.

Attached Files:

20. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.