First build - '52 black guard-ish tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 26and385, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Yeah that's what I ordered too after searching some threads. Thank god for all the knowledge on tdpri.

2. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Hey man, what finishing did you do for the neck? In your post, I'm not certain if you treated it the same as the body.

3. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

To do that from scratch us so awesome. I wish I had somebody to teach me how to do that. It looks good man and the color is nice too.

I may have went went a little lighter so I could switch between black and white guard. I know you said you went a little to yellow but it's not orangy so apps good.

Now just build a 54-58 white guard. Then 59-62 rosewood. Then a 63-64 rosewood and you've got all 4.

4. 26and385

26and385 TDPRI Member

For the neck I just sprayed a coat of vinyl sealer and then a few coats of lightly tinted (amber) nitro. The finish shows every single spot that I didn't sand well enough. Lesson learned for the next one(s).

The only thing you may want to do is use pore filler for the walnut stripe. The walnut is very porous, and will have a texture if you don't fill. I can't feel it while playing. I vaguely remember trying to pore fill the walnut, but I think I gave up and left it as-is.

5. 26and385

26and385 TDPRI Member

Nobody taught me, in person at least. My teachers are all of the great builders on this forum. I've spent many hours pouring over preeb's detailed threads, as well as all of the build challenges. Every bit of knowledge you need to build from scratch is in this forum somewhere. It helps to have basic woodworking knowledge, experience using power tools, and a general eye for detail. But all of the specifics for guitar came from the wonderful people who share their knowledge here.

I'm liking the idea of doing four different vintage styles. Time to stock up on some more wood!

Greenmachine likes this.
  6. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!

With so many threads coming and going, I didn't realize this one fell off the table for a bit.

Glad you finished and it turned out so well!

7. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Totally. At a passing glance tdpri looks like a fan club, but after only a little digging you've got everything you need to build and finish a tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.